Is The BA Prepared?

Wussername

For all that, Fred, there is a case to be made that it should be funded by the hireboat industry, if it is aimed solely at hirers. If the aim is to produce a general boat handling and information website available to all then the 20K would seem very reasonable as a cost sharing exercise. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

For all that, Fred, there is a case to be made that it should be funded by the hireboat industry, if it is aimed solely at hirers. If the aim is to produce a general boat handling and information website available to all then the 20K would seem very reasonable as a cost sharing exercise. 

Would not the private sector welcom, indeed benefit from the boat yards enhanced training expertise.  Extra revenue and a valuable contribution of extra skills to some.

Andrew

On the PB2 course, you do have to attend and it is a full 2 day course. Cost? About £300 p p I believe - thats quite a big cost to the yards and to be honest ,its only a piece of paper and will not stop one single accident! Do you really think that it would help one iota because if you do, I think you need to think again.

Its not the paper, but the person that counts!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I like everyone else don`t know the detail or possible outcome only the proposal which anyone can read online, if memory serves me correct didnt the BA make a contribution towards earlier forms of this. 

Fred

perhaps the 20k is to provide facilities for the training to take place, with the costs of the training borne by the hire yards, i can envisage a training cabin with blackboards and seating, plus a practical session around low tide to assist boats mooring, how to set the springs etc, small groups of up to 6 set on non changeover days. maybe 1 course a week through the season would accommodate most of the yards 

12 minutes ago, marshman said:

On the PB2 course, you do have to attend and it is a full 2 day course. Cost? About £300 p p I believe - thats quite a big cost to the yards and to be honest ,its only a piece of paper and will not stop one single accident! Do you really think that it would help one iota because if you do, I think you need to think again

Has anyone here suggested that boatyard staff do a PB2 course?

14 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I like everyone else don`t know the detail or possible outcome only the proposal which anyone can read online, if memory serves me correct didnt the BA make a contribution towards earlier forms of this. 

Like you, Fred, I don't know the detail. It is only right that the BA is to be reacting to this summer's accidents  and the general need for safety awareness. Whether the industry will welcome their well intended interference is another issue! I think that we'll both agree that there are some privateers who would benefit from both boat handling and safety advice. Perhaps someone needs to take the lead, it might as well be the BA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I think that we'll both agree that there are some privateers who would benefit from both boat handling and safety advice. 

Me for instance. I would gladly pay for a safety course if the cost were offset against my insurance. Better still for me, get an experience helm to accompany me to Reedham for a pub lunch. :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:
23 hours ago, Vaughan said:

But I repeat my fear : no amount of official tick lists or classroom training, can give you that practical experience.

RYA dayboat certificates then?

Vaughan, I see where you are coming from. My suggestion was intended for those organizations that flourish on tick boxes rather than experience. .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

perhaps the 20k is to provide facilities for the training to take place, with the costs of the training borne by the hire yards, i can envisage a training cabin with blackboards and seating, plus a practical session around low tide to assist boats mooring, how to set the springs etc, small groups of up to 6 set on non changeover days. maybe 1 course a week through the season would accommodate most of the yards 

I cant be sure but I believe the 20K is more in line with the videos etc already in existence for home consumption not to do with handover staff on the day, while I am not arguing for or against anything that comes out of the discussions surely anything that improves the understanding of newcomers is to the benefit of all of us even if it only means a 50% reduction in incidents of either personal injury or collision damage, somethings are not always quantifiable in financial terms.

Fred 

Any programme that is designed just for the benefit of a commercial organisation should be funded, by what ever means, by those commercial organisations.

The hirer boat companies have a platform to discuss these moves ( proposed meeting ) that is denied to private owners. That is fine, as long as the cost isn't spread across all toll payers.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion.

The private boat owner who wants a little extra tuition, or the hirer books up a course with Fire, Mynah and Nog, boat training Limited (very limited)

A certain Mr Jayfire will drive to the pick-up yard, say Stalham and meet the crew at the Swan or Grebe. He will then explain the theory over a pint or two. Then accompanying them to the boat phase one of the practical will start. A cruise to Neatished, showing how to negotiate and moor in a narrow dyke. This willk be followed by a debrief in the White Horse.

I (Mynah) will join them in the White horse and, after explaining phase two to the crew, will take them from Neatished to Ludham bridge. This will involve showing them how to cruise past moored boats and how to moor on a river where there is a tidal flow. The debriefing in the Dog will be where they will be introduced to Mr Nog, who will take them to Ranworth and show them how to stern moor. The final debriefing in the Maltsters where they will be able to ask any questions. Mr Fire, Mr Nog and myself all being present. The cost of this training course will be split between the customer and the BA.

As this is a service to the whole broadland community I feel it only fair to keep our hourly rate as low as possible, I was thinking of around £20 an hour plus expenses.

I shall be offering this service to the BA in due course subject to Mr Fire's and Mr Nog's approval.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Seen on a forum elsewhere ;

"So we have been out on the river for half term and trying to dodge the sections on the Thames that have been going on red board over the last few days.

It has amazed us how many hire boats seem to ignore such rules! One lock keeper said that the hire companies have a duty of care for thier customers and should pick them up and send a pilot out navigate the boat

However we subsequently learned the at least one hire firm told thier customers if they felt they could handle it then they could go out.

Seems a little crazy under powered and under qualified boaters are allowed out on the river in such conditions!"

Red boards mean users of all boats are advised not to navigate because the strong flows make it difficult and dangerous.

On 26/10/2020 at 08:59, marshman said:

On the PB2 course, you do have to attend and it is a full 2 day course. Cost? About £300 p p I believe - thats quite a big cost to the yards and to be honest ,its only a piece of paper and will not stop one single accident! Do you really think that it would help one iota because if you do, I think you need to think again.

Its not the paper, but the person that counts!

One day refresher / assesment if already competent. Did mine a few weeks back. Good for the reason I did it - rescue boats, but of limited relevance to my yacht.....