Is The BA Prepared?

Wussername

It would seem that some of the Norfolk Broads hire fleet will be extending the letting season to the end of November.

November can be a cruel month, but can also provide a wonderful experience for those who come prepared for an experience like no other. Skeins of geese honking across an early morning sky, the evening flight, deer peeking amongst the reeds. If you are lucky a murmuration of starlings or waders will provide the final curtain on a late autumn day or an early winter day. A Seago day of large Norfolk sky’s, clear sky’s with occasional cloud ending with an occasional squall.

Are the Broads prepared?

I think not. The Quay Assistant at Reedham finishes on November 1st

This particular mooring, or part of it, is controlled by the Broads Authority.

I do not need to elaborate on the importance of a Quay Assistance on this particular mooring.

Are other moorings affected?

Should we be concerned?

Andrew

• Like 3

For those uneducated amateurs amongst us (ie me!), what does the ‘quay assistant’ do? We didn’t stop there, but did cruise past last week and the moorings didn’t seem that different to anything else we’d seen north or south, with the exception of Yarmouth... which I wouldn’t have fancied staying at with the speed of the current that took us out towards Breydon!

This is something that needs to be brought to the BA attention , the sad recent loses of life on The Broads do not need to have their numbers increased due to what in effect could be regarded as neglect of duty by the BA as far as health and safety is concerned , I can see no reason why the various boat yards hiring out during this extended season should not be approached to fund these additional costs where mooring charges are not in effect 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Assuming the normal winter restrictions from the hire yards are in place there shouldnt be any hire boats crossing from north to south or visa versa so this shouldnt be an issue.

Fred

Is that a given?

There are hire boats on the Southern Rivers.

Are not private boats entitled to the same degree of service as the hire fleet from the BA.

Andrew

• Like 1

Some yards may or may not be hiring later but both some hire yards and private owners have always been around in winter so nothing new, as a linked but separate issue given the moans about tolls how many who want additional ranger services and moorings are prepared  to pay for them, I look forward to the comments after tomorrows nav comm meeting.

Fred

• Like 2

There used to be a network of yard workboats across the system, don't know if that still exists but of course there are less yards about, especially down South. Personally, during the winter, I carry both a mobile phone and a VHS handset. Hopefully the BA's River Control will still be listening. One thing worth noting is that there are not that many places along the bank that aren't a walkable distance from a road. Re VHS, not usually used by hirers but down South the railway bridge keepers maintain a listening watch as do the harbour authorities at Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

• Like 1

To fund pre visit training of yard staff & a reduction of craft numbers especially weekly hire 800 to 736  & larger craft Ctte went with 4% Toll increase providing they can use part of National Park reserve to fund pre - hire training of Hire yard staff training  especially regarding areas with strong tides & increased patrolling (all patrol boats out 7 days a week in season )with 4 Seasonal Rangers + one to cover preparing for prosecution as per published reports No extension in season  of staffing of Yacht Stations. Increase in % of time rangers spend patrolling over maintenance work in season. 

• Thanks 2

Further details will be presented with Nav Ctte recommendations to BA Members meeting on 20th Nov & back to Nav Ctte on 14th Jan

There were between 19 & 22 people "looking in" on todays proceedings. 

A good turnout to show interest can, my opinion do nothing but good whether you support the work of BA or not.

• Like 1

Interesting thread, just catching up with it.

Re the rangers - I've been hiring in winter for the past 14 years, usually in December and February. I can't recall seeing a ranger although I suppose there might be some about. We've crossed Breydon every December and most years in February. We've also moored at Reedham numerous times. The quay is pretty much empty in winter which does make life easier I must admit. Might not be so good for novices though. I wonder what the rangers do in winter? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Interesting thread, just catching up with it.

Re the rangers - I've been hiring in winter for the past 14 years, usually in December and February. I can't recall seeing a ranger although I suppose there might be some about. We've crossed Breydon every December and most years in February. We've also moored at Reedham numerous times. The quay is pretty much empty in winter which does make life easier I must admit. Might not be so good for novices though. I wonder what the rangers do in winter? 

The do maintenance work as per their % of "National Parks" funded work currently 40% of annual working time (likely to equate less this year & programmed 30% next)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Some yards may or may not be hiring later but both some hire yards and private owners have always been around in winter so nothing new, as a linked but separate issue given the moans about tolls how many who want additional ranger services and moorings are prepared  to pay for them, I look forward to the comments after tomorrows nav comm meeting.

Fred

I was unable to listen to the meeting unfortunately.

Was there any provision made for the mooring Quays at Grt Yarmouth, Reedham or Norwich to be manned by a Quay assistant during the extended hiring season. In addition are the water and electric charging facility going to be extended at Reedham and other moorings ?

I would also like to clarify my understanding of the Quay Assistant position. The person allocated to this duty is not a Ranger  and as such would seem to hold a seasonal task for the Authority and is not offered out of season paid work.

Andrew

Missed the first 30 minutes or so and listening in took me back to council meetings of old and ashamed to say I dozed off for a short while.

Mentioned increasing seasonable ranger numbers by 3 @ £19k each and increasing hours as reports of speeding happening early evenings. Fourth ranger @£35k to be office based preparing paperwork on around 35 untolled boats etc where it takes around 35hrs per case to dot i`s and cross t`s.

No reduction on tolls for hire boats this year as bookings made strong recoveries, same on private boats.

Computer system for online tolls etc was started in 2006 and now needs replacing, estimate to do this around £120k and urgent.

As said above something about dipping into defra fund this year @£130k and next year @£120k and something about the broads being the only waterway not to receive funding from some source or the other. This source has been approached and the reply being not saying No and maybe you try again next year.

Average increase on private boats being 4% and how to market this (lets call it less than a tenner, what can you get for a tenner nowadays sort of marketing).

Upkeep of moorings and stuff mentioned in general costs for this year.

That`s about all I can recall.

• Thanks 6

Average increase on private boats being 4% and how to market this (lets call it less than a tenner, what can you get for a tenner nowadays sort of marketing).

This really gets my bolt action, it really does.  Each and every year the increase is above the annual rate of inflation, this in turn compounds the following yearly increase into being far higher when done by a percentage.  Of course all private owners will 'Fall For' the line  -  'It's only a tenner' as we are all to dense to add up year to year and being the 'Little people' what does it matter anyroadup ?

When we first tolled 'B.A' in 2007 the price was £275:00.  During the last thirteen years we arrive here in 2020 and the price was more than double that at nearly £560:00.  IF we had 'Enjoyed' an average annual increase of 3% - Fair (Some hope) then the toll for 'B.A' this year would have been 'Only' £403 so I reckon we are down £157 and that's just this year alone! :default_smiley-angry047:

Griff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

120k for a new Toll computer system and its urgent......whats wrong with the current system? Impossible to fix or cant/wont make do?  Is it really needed now? 

Nevermind its only a tenner each for private owners.  What whim will we be paying for next year I wonder. 

This just goes on and on,  its about time Tolls are frozen for say at least 10 years and the BA learn how to work within a tighter budget.  Rather than splashing out on expensive equipment and laying out 35k a year for what is basically an office clerk to chase untolled boats.

Im with Griff.  It is seriously Infuriating.  

• Like 1