Potter Heigham Bridge Restricted Opening Today 22nd October 2020.

Dear all,

Today (22 October) Norfolk County Council are conducting an urgent bridge survey at Potter Heigham Bridge resulting in a closure of the River Thurne at the bridge.

Passage through the bridge will be restricted although the river it will be opened to vessels on request.

Please notify the Norfolk County Council operatives who are in the area if passage is required.

The partial closure affects river passage today (22 October) only.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Broads Authority

01603 756034

Broads Authority
Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY

Another two course of stone infilled below the waterline would be absolutely marvellous.  It could be done too.  If the Yanks can dismantle London Bridge and transport it over the pond then rebuild it stone by stone then raising PHB by a foot or so should be a breeze

Griff

• Like 4

On 22/10/2020 at 22:46, BroadAmbition said:

Another two course of stone infilled below the waterline would be absolutely marvellous.  It could be done too.  If the Yanks can dismantle London Bridge and transport it over the pond then rebuild it stone by stone then raising PHB by a foot or so should be a breeze

Griff

This might be relevant to the debate on BHP, I lifted it from another place where it had in turn been lifted from yet another place!

Reposted from another thread in case the point gets lost - An interesting fact is reported in the papers for the 22 October Nav Com (Agenda Item 10). The officers have been researching Environment Agency data on water levels and have concluded that MLWL has been rising in the middle and upper reaches of the Bure (approx 10 - 20cm), falling in the Lower Bure through Yarmouth and on Breydon and staying relatively static in the southern rivers. They do not speculate about the causes of these trends but use the higher levels as an excuse for reducing the amount of dredging required in the upstream Bure. To my mind this is wrong headed. They should be asking why this is happening. Water levels are controlled by sea levels at Yarmouth and Lowestoft (equal effect on the whole river system), run off into the rivers (not likely to be very different proportionately across the system) and constraints in the river channels such as silting and bank modifications. So I am inclined to think that the increase in water levels in the north is the result of channel constraints - probably silting up in the middle reaches of the Bure upstream of Yarmouth. Thus it would seem sensible to consider additional dredging in those areas - not less. Remember, increased water levels reduce the ability of craft to access the upper reaches of the navigation due to reduced bridge clearances. Conspiracy theorists could have a field day.

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Why would the Authority wish to see less boats on the higher reaches?

Conservation by exclusion by any chance?

Yup. 
A sort of natural selection. 
Ive encountered this attitude while ditching. 
Any sort of change, any sort of introduction of anything man made is resisted. 
The thing about certain aspects of conservation is that it’s cheap, in fashion and attractive to money 

Rubbish!!!!

Do we really want to turn an area which should remind us all what Broadland is all about, into a booze fuelled haven for people to ruin?

A couple of years ago sitting quietly in Meadow Dyke, over about 90 minutes, I saw a bittern, a crane overhead, an otter family playing in the dyke, a kingfisher and myriads of Norfolk Hawkers and a swallowtail! How many of those would survive the scenes we see on the Bure - even if none of you appreciate the beauty above the bridge, and the splendour of what I can see and hear, I do.

Its ok folks, I am not much longer for this earth and then you can do what you bl**dy well like with it, because as sure as eggs is eggs, you will not appreciate it to the extent I do!!!

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, marshman said:

Do we really want to turn an area which should remind us all what Broadland is all about, into a booze fuelled haven for people to ruin?

You make a very valid point with the above.

I'll make another, when I visit Hickling by boat I take away memories but I leave nothing behind, not even my wash.

The point at issue is that the river above Yarmouth is demonstrably shallower than it was and the knock on effect is that the the tidal flush is reduced meaning that less and less boats can access such as Hickling. Certain BA officers have in the past suggested that the Upper Thurne should be boat free. 

No, I don't want to see Heigham Sound reduced to M25 at leaving off time status but I do want to see it available to those who appreciate it for what it is.

Potter Bridge is low and air draft is lessening. I don't advocate removing or lifting the bridge but the limited traffic that does access Hickling is doing no harm. I don't see that there would be any gain in further limiting access. 

For people to be able to enjoy and savour the magic of Hickling requires access and access by boat doesn't even leave footprints. 

• Like 1

We had a lovely relaxed mooring on White Slea during the week, very quite mainly due to the fact little could get under the bridge, sat watching the wildlife, cranes and kingfishers, perfect. The peace was very spectacularly broken by a rib piloted by a grey haired lady of advanced years on the plane at serious speed, the wash had our boat rocking very uncomfortably. My wife was incensed and on clearing up the spilt tea decided to report the incident to the BA, I told her that without a photo there was little to be done, we did however get the boat number, the BA were very helpful and did indeed ask if we had photographic proof, we pointed out that the speed of the boat and the fact that we were both covered in tea, left no time to grab a phone. We were surprised when a couple of hours later the BA rang to say they knew the culprit and they were aware of her activities, action was to be taken!

Later that day, we spotted the rib moored up, best not say where, just hope the relevant action is taken.

• Like 4

Why is it that the few complete numpties who use the Broads like a race track with total disregard for anything other than their own enjoyment spoil it for the rest of us and we all get tarred with the same brush? I've seen some bad behaviour in my time on the rivers, I've also seen people using the Broads as they should be used with total respect for other people, the wild life and the rivers they cruise on

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Rubbish!!!!

Do we really want to turn an area which should remind us all what Broadland is all about, into a booze fuelled haven for people to ruin

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks for your post Grace. I've also seen both, and am still convinced that the majority of people fall into the 'respect' category. It's just that those who behave with complete disregard to others tend to be more noticeable!

I totally agree. Perhaps a thread should be started about all the good people, the kindness, the helpfulness, even the people who enjoy a booze cruise with the greatest respect for all things around them, Mr and Mrs N and Jay for starters......Hang on, I feel a thread coming on :default_biggrin: x

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I totally agree. Perhaps a thread should be started about all the good people, the kindness, the helpfulness, even the people who enjoy a booze cruise with the greatest respect for all things around them, Mr and Mrs N and Jay for starters......Hang on, I feel a thread coming on :default_biggrin: x

Where would be the fun in that? We're british and therefore we like nowt better than a good whinge.. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

Why is it that the few complete numpties who use the Broads like a race track with total disregard for anything other than their own enjoyment spoil it for the rest of us and we all get tarred with the same brush?

It's not just the issue of antisocial behavior by the few, it is also the issue of the occasional saturation boating for which the North Rivers is gaining deserved infamy. Long may the Upper Thurne remain an antidote to Horning and Wroxham on a sunny Bank holiday Monday! 

• Like 1

My only worry is you want pubic money and the public to care but they won’t if they can’t see it   
Not a huge loss of votes to the government if the funding gets cut then

by its nature the Broads are very secretive in its special places but it belongs to the country not us and it will be the country that decide the future 

Ancient rights can be swept aside easily done by any government with a majority and then your standing on sand 

so I fight for access for all, crowds and all because if the spark of love for broads is lit then that’s one more person in the army

• Like 1