Fishing Announcement

Hylander

31 minutes ago, Hylander said:

The problem is you and the majority do carry on sensibly but there is an element that does not.

Anybody seen the scenes of the press outside Westminster Court this morning for the Julian Assange bail hearing. Not much evidence of social distancing there. Round them up, confiscate their press cards and hand them back in a few weeks.

• Like 4

Hi Vaughan has your daughter sad how many they are able to inoculate a day, i think the logistics will be the biggest problem it's not as if they can line them up in car park with sleeves rolled up with three people people administering the vaccine as they walk by aca military service days, our practice did the flu vaccine in the car park lot warmer then,  i have been for a blood test recently it was done at the park and ride site four booths/tents at a time, took ten/fifteen minutes per car,  a persons mobility will have a significant impact until they get lower down the age scale. John

• Like 2

Latest from BA
Third National Lockdown from 06 January 2021

On 4 January the Government announced further national lockdown measures. Parts of the new measures that are relevant to the Broads are outlined below.

The main requirement of the restrictions for those living in England is to stay at home. Travel is only permitted under specific circumstances and even then the advice is to stay local wherever possible. This includes travelling by boat. You should not be making short trips or breaks on your boat for leisure purposes, these are classed as non-essential journeys.

Exercise such as paddle sports and sailing is permitted once a day, but you should stay local if possible. According to information provided by the Angling Trust, recreational angling is not permitted during the national lockdown (including angling from a boat).

We ask that anybody wishing to exercise on the Broads is mindful of social distancing with anybody they come into contact with and to be aware of the impact on emergency services should they get into difficulty.

Boaters who are not currently occupying their boat should not take short overnight breaks on their boat during the period. Those living aboard are advised to limit their navigation, moving only a minimal amount to access essential facilities or services when necessary. Our COVID-19 information for liveaboard boaters page (available on our website) has details of local services which remain open.

Thank you for your understanding.

For full details and more information see: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi all Forum Members as to this complete :default_fishing2: ban either Male or Female cannot Fish in tranquility as to being  stuck indoors  to which I hope it will  not too long  getting back to this Fishing we Anglers love to be doing best:default_fishing3:

Interesting announcement here:

https://www.facebook.com/AnglingTrust/photos/a.552330158169496/3528948987174250/

• Like 1

the main problem is that if you relax the rules for one group, other groups will follow, and or people will follow the example and ignore the rules, all of which will just extend the duration of the lockdown while we get this under control. why people cannot accept the restrictions for a short term for the good of all is beyond me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

why people cannot accept the restrictions for a short term for the good of all is beyond me

Well it ain't beyond me, I know exactly why, they are selfish and are of a mindset that the restrictions / guidelines don't apply to them as its not doing any harm in their eyes and nobody will know.  Selfish and ignorant to the nth degree.  What's more its infuriating, if they are willing to put others at risk and be of that attitude, as far as I'm concerned, my mindset is going to be one of 'Dobbing them in' :default_smiley-angry047:

Griff

• Like 11

Brilliant post Griff, I couldn't agree more

My Brother tested positive for Covid on Tuesday and is quite sick at the moment. He was of the same attitude and followed all guidelines and rules so could only have got it at the supermarket 

I just wish people would think on, wear masks, keep their distance and sanitise. As for fishing, get over it, the sooner everyone follows the rules the sooner we can get back to some sort of normality x

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

why people cannot accept the restrictions for a short term for the good of all is beyond me

Well it ain't beyond me, I know exactly why, they are selfish and are of a mindset that the restrictions / guidelines don't apply to them as its not doing any harm in their eyes and nobody will know.  Selfish and ignorant to the nth degree.  What's more its infuriating, if they are willing to put others at risk and be of that attitude, as far as I'm concerned, my mindset is going to be one of 'Dobbing them in' :default_smiley-angry047:

Griff

There's been far too much of the "ah but if I can get away with it" attitude and it's infuriating. Since the beginning of this debacle last March I've stuck rigidly to the rules (I honestly can't think of a single time I've knowingly broken them, though that's not to say I haven't done it accidentally!) and it makes it all the more frustrating when I see people still carrying on as normal. With that in mind I can understand how some people, who had previously made the sacrifices required, are now chinning it off.

As for "dobbing people in" there are a few I've seen decrying such a policy, and as being encouraged to "grass on your neighbours", the people who you should keep on side because they're the ones who keep an eye on your house when you're away etc. To that I say they're also the ones putting your community at risk and extending the lockdown over and over. Of course those people are likely to have their own agenda.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Hmm!!   read the comments and have to agree with a lot of them, if only thinking from the point of view of the 'wife's' mental health - get the old chap out and down the river fishing for an hour or two , when it is safe and give her a bit of peace too.        :default_hiding:    

• Like 1

I'm lucky, I have space and a big garden compared with many, as I sit writing this I am sat in a 12' X 28' room with a glass wall overlooking that garden and onto the Broads, I have a degree of freedom and plenty to do. There is just my wife and I, we like our company, are reasonably content with our lives. We have miles of walks across nature reserves and along river banks. We do miss the grand-kids but we do bump into them on our walks or we see and chat with them on-line. We are actually quite enjoying Lockdown although it has meant a change of lifestyle. In a nutshell I don't feel a need for much although the wine stash is down to less than a dozen bottles after Christmas! However, I am well aware that I could be trapped in a claustrophobic, one bed flat and going stark staring bonkers! Being able to access the river bank, even if I caught nothing, could well be my route to sanity. Mental health is an important factor. Witness Mortimer & Whitehouse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qf09/mortimer-whitehouse-gone-fishing-gone-christmas-fishing

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

An additional thought, we are, at best, many months away from a return to a degree of normality. Stress will be a growing problem, angling could well be a solution rather than being a problem.

Therefore it could be argued that cruising down the river solo, or with your family is also a stress reliever as is golf for some. So where do you draw the line? Which stress relieving recreation thats good for the mind do you allow and which ones don't you allow. 

This time around the aspect of recreation has been removed from the legislation and the list of exemptions for being away from home.

I agree though there are many reason why some activities should be allowed, but that will only bring back the chorus of stay at home, what's not to understand etc. etc.

1 minute ago, Meantime said:

Therefore it could be argued that cruising down the river solo, or with your family is also a stress reliever as is golf for some. So where do you draw the line? Which stress relieving recreation thats good for the mind do you allow and which ones don't you allow. 

The distance factor is surely relevant. Fishing locally for example. I note that sailing is allowed.

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

An additional thought, we are, at best, many months away from a return to a degree of normality. Stress will be a growing problem, angling could well be a solution rather than being a problem.

While I totally agree with that sentiment and could go fishing in seclusion within 5-10 mins from where I live the problem is many would use it as a licence to travel outside of their immediate locality, we saw that last time with people driving many miles using the excuse of exercising which everyone can do within their own vicinity even if its not scenic.

Fred

• Like 1

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

The distance factor is surely relevant. Fishing locally for example. I note that sailing is allowed.

Sailing is allowed because it is exercise and you must still be local to complete it. Fishing is not exercise but recreation, unless off course you want to go fishing then I'm sure some will argue it is exercise. 

I do look at and follow the legislation and quite a few on here seem to interpret that as wanting to bend the rules or looking for loopholes. I do that to stick within the rules, not to bend them when it suits me. There are some very outspoken forthright comments on this thread including what you should do if you know someone is breaking the rules.

Some of that actually sticks in the craw.

I know for instance that if I cannot complete my work at home, I would be allowed to travel to complete that work on site, even if that was in the clients house. I also know that working in someone's house you must observe Covid workplace restrictions. If that client happened to be a friend it would be irrelevant, I would still need to work in a Covid secure way, which would also mean not staying there overnight if they are present. I know that if working a distance away from home I could stay at a hotel but would have to observe the tier restrictions for the area I normally live. That would mean that if the area I normally live is under tier 3 restrictions and the area where I am working comes out of lock down under tier 2 restrictions, I wouldn't be able to use that as an excuse to drive a long distance to go and inspect my boat, or retrieve items from it, followed by a long drive through the night back home feeling incredibly tired. That's probably irresponsible even without a Covid 19 outbreak. That would not just be bending the rules, that would be stretching them to breaking point.  

30 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

While I totally agree with that sentiment and could go fishing in seclusion within 5-10 mins from where I live the problem is many would use it as a licence to travel outside of their immediate locality, we saw that last time with people driving many miles using the excuse of exercising which everyone can do within their own vicinity even if its not scenic.

Fred

The legislation has been updated via a statutory instrument and whilst some items have been removed, such as recreation or amended to ban the use of or exercise in outdoor sports grounds, and things like golf courses have now been added to the list of venues that must close, the method of transport or distance you can travel have still not been limited in law, just the number of exemptions for being outside your home have been reduced.

National Trust gardens, many of which are not near populous areas and therefore "local" for a very small number of people are still staying open, presumably now for exercise, but not for recreation. You can walk or run around the gardens, but shouldn't sit and read a book.

This would mean that if you had a mind to, you presumably could still use your boat as the mode of transport to access for instance How Hill moorings, for the purpose of exercise in How Hill gardens, but you shouldn't use your boat just purely for recreation as you could under the previous provisions.

the law may not say, but the guidance is clear on that point,

remember most traffic offences are prosecuted under the guidance not the law, the offence of speeding, the law doesnt set down the actual limits, its the guidance that does that, so if you are fined for speeding in a 30mph limit, that is set seperately to the law, which will just state travelling in excess of the speed limit in force,.

travel other than locally is set in the guidance, so all the law has to say is authorised travel, they will look to the guidance when deciding whether to bring charges, i wouldnt want to try and argue contrary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

There's been far too much of the "ah but if I can get away with it" attitude and it's infuriating. Since the beginning of this debacle last March I've stuck rigidly to the rules (I honestly can't think of a single time I've knowingly broken them, though that's not to say I haven't done it accidentally!) and it makes it all the more frustrating when I see people still carrying on as normal. With that in mind I can understand how some people, who had previously made the sacrifices required, are now chinning it off.

As for "dobbing people in" there are a few I've seen decrying such a policy, and as being encouraged to "grass on your neighbours", the people who you should keep on side because they're the ones who keep an eye on your house when you're away etc. To that I say they're also the ones putting your community at risk and extending the lockdown over and over. Of course those people are likely to have their own agenda.

But some of us have a greater respect of IPE.... ( judging by the profile picture )

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

But some of us have a greater respect of IPE.... ( judging by the profile picture )

I was warned off not to attend Christmas lunch wearing respirator and "noddy suit"...

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

the law may not say, but the guidance is clear on that point,

remember most traffic offences are prosecuted under the guidance not the law, the offence of speeding, the law doesnt set down the actual limits, its the guidance that does that, so if you are fined for speeding in a 30mph limit, that is set seperately to the law, which will just state travelling in excess of the speed limit in force,.

travel other than locally is set in the guidance, so all the law has to say is authorised travel, they will look to the guidance when deciding whether to bring charges, i wouldnt want to try and argue contrary.

Speed limits signs in a Red circle are not guidance, they are the maximum speed limit. Speed limit signs in a Black circle are guidance and you do not break the law by exceeding them. They are generally a warning of an impending reduction in speed limit.

but the speed limits and their locations are not written into the law, so they are guidance, much the same as travel is permitted.

Leaving your home to exercise is permitted once a day provided relevant guidelines are followed. 

so the guidelines say travel locally only for exercise.