Water Rail April/ May 2021

grendel

32 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

Many years ago was Water Rail an exhibit at the museum of the broads? Im sure we went on her when we were at the museum, or am i going mad !

Yes she was. When my father died my mother lent her for several years during the summer months

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Those eggs looked good Grendel. It's pretty unusual to get one double yolker, never mind two! Where do you source your eggs from?

lidls extra large eggs.

todays trip was to be my last for a while, and to add insult to injury it was tipping it down, round to waveney river centre for a pump out, then back to the moorings, following the ranger most of the way from the WRC, the new moorings opposite the dutch tea gardens seem to be coming along well, then it was unload the boat to the car in torrential rain, at the last minute i remembered to shut off the fuel cock, and then head for home, another 3 1/2 hours driving. arrived home , the cats were happy to see me, the feeders had been working well, and my daughter and mother in law had visited to check on them too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roy said:

Yes I can remember looking over her at the museum of the broads. 

How does one hire her I’d love to hire her for a few days away. ? 

2 hours ago, grendel said:

one doesnt hire her, she belongs to Dave (Janet Anne), we do have a buddy scheme going, but you would need to talk to him.

Water Rail is not available for hire nor is she licenced or insured for hire. What we have set up, with Broads Authority blessing, is a boat buddy scheme. 

Water Rails running costs for the season are divided between her buddies. Those running costs are mooring, licence, insurance, bsc,  a couple of engine services through the season and gas bottles. Her buddies will each get probably three or four trips in during the season. Those trips can be long weekends, full weeks or whatever works for everyone involved. 

At no point do you own WR or any part of her. There is no maintenance  or restoration requirement  (though any help is very much appreciated!) At the end of the season you can just walk away or start again the following year.

Water Rail has three buddies using her for 2021 plus an honorary buddy in LizG her previous owner. 

The whole idea behind this scheme is to promote enjoyment of the wooden broads cruisers through access to them. Just like classic cars or steam trains, you need new people becoming interested in these old tubs to be able to secure their future. 

So that's sort of how it works. :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

just started going through my photos from my weeks holiday, thought you might be interested in just how big those waves were Tuesday when I crossed Breydon while it was closed to hire boats, luckily i was going with the waves not against them.

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

• Like 6

I've not been across Breydon in weather like that for a long time, I quite enjoy it !

The ex Summercraft boat is the same model as Evening and Moonlight Shadow, Thunder and Lightning are longer

• Like 1