Porta Potti

Hi all,

I have recently bought a boat which came with one of the above as an added extra. I don't want it and am not sure how to dispose of it. I'm not even sure if it has chemicals in it and I don't know anything about these things. I just want to get it out of the way. I'm mooring in Brundall. Does anyone know where i can empty any fluid left in it and then perhaps dispose of the actual potti itself?

Thanks

Well - and this said with tongue in cheek -  once when moored at Herringfleet we witnessed a porta potti floating down the river.   Just a thought.        My advice is clean it up (rubber gloves and a peg for your nose at hand) and sell it,  if it is in good working order.   You can then sell it.

If you have no other toilet facilities onboard there is nothing wrong with a portapotti, once you have used and emptied one the dread goes, as long as you press the vent button when emptying or they splatter.....

Make the rule 'first to use for solid empties it'.

I found this list on another site - it is dated 2019 so you would need to check ahead.

Cox's boat yard at Barton Turf
George at Ludham Bridge
The yard on South Walsham Broad
Waverney River Centre
Oulton Yacht Station
Norwich Yacht Station

It was also suggested that there is a list in The Green Book (if anyone has a copy)

Finally it is possible that one of the caravan sites may allow emptying for a small fee.

Once it is empty and clean it can be sold as suggested or if you just want to get rid of it I guess a council run waste facility is the answer (or offer it free on Facebook/Ebay/Craigslist... collection only and problem solved!) 🙂

Thank you ask for your ideas and advice. I'm pretty sure it's in clean condition a they say and I'm really not sure why they had it a on board as there is a pump out toilet.

I was going to such it in the boot and take it home but was wary of spillage just in case.

I had a look at the Green Book online but no sites near to me. I'm wondering if the public toilets nearby woukd allow me to empty there 

Hi Wooster you can empty it in any house hold toilet that is on MAINS drainage,  many river side ones ar not, depending what model just tip it up and unscrew the cap it wont bit they have two compartment one (large cap) for poo and smaller cap for flushing water,just empty and rince out and only empty down MAINS toilet, do not empty into any other type if it has chemicals in it. John

We have one on board, next to the pump out one. Use the pump out one and you have to move the boat and pay somewhere around £20 to have it pumped out. Use the marina toilets and the p/p is for emergency No1s in the night. It's an age thing y'know.

I would:

Clean the outside of it. Pick it up and see how full it is. It'll never fall over in the car unless you put it on something uneven or corner like L. Hamilton. It splits in two via a lever at the back - the top half contains flush. Have a look on Youtube and you'll see how easy it is to empty them.

• Like 1

As long as they're the right way up, they're pretty good at not leaking.

Assuming it's the usual split design then the top half has a water tank for the flush, and all of the 'black waste' is stored in the lower half which separates via means of a catch.

Often when camping on less formal (think small festival) type campsites then the only option is to take it home and empty down the toilet. The big spout folds out, take the cap off, let the air out and empty it.

Although they seem a bit prehistoric in Broads boat terms, they're quite popular on the canals where holding tanks are looked down upon because on some parts of the network you may go for weeks without seeing a pumpout point and things could get very smelly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, floydraser said:

We have one on board, next to the pump out one. Use the pump out one and you have to move the boat and pay somewhere around £20 to have it pumped out. Use the marina toilets and the p/p is for emergency No1s in the night. It's an age thing y'know.

I would:

Clean the outside of it. Pick it up and see how full it is. It'll never fall over in the car unless you put it on something uneven or corner like L. Hamilton. It splits in two via a lever at the back - the top half contains flush. Have a look on Youtube and you'll see how easy it is to empty them.

When we had our Bounty we also had a porta potti on board.    It was never used but was there just in case as I have tum problems.   It is now in the loft.

41 minutes ago, Hylander said:

It was never used but was there just in case as I have tum problems.   It is now in the loft.

Nothing worse than having to face a loft ladder when your desperate... :default_icon_e_surprised:

Some of the canal liveaboard bunch carry a hose and pump setup so they can empty in any handy sewer manhole close enough to the towpath, a mate of mine did.

If a PP is used as a seat in a compact shower room beware as there is a void between the two halves that held a bottle of the chemical when new, it fills with soapy shower water and soaks your tee shirt when walking through the boat to empty it and fills you with dread as you hold it as close as possible to contain the leak that you assume is from the tank, finding it's just shower water is a welcome relief.

Or so I'm told, not me honest like... :default_blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you again. The PP is now at home in the garage. It was empty and as our marina doesn't allow disposal down their toilets, we're unlikely to use it so I will see if our binmen will take it or else a trip to the dump is in order.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wooster said:

Freecycle is about to get it. I can't be bothered with the hassle of ebay these days and it's hardly worth a fortune. 

Unfortunately, P potti's are really expensive to purchase the old bin men will sell it if you dont.

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Unfortunately, P potti's are really expensive to purchase the old bin men will sell it if you dont.

Hmmm. Looking on ebay they seem to be going for around £45 or so used. Well in that case, ebay is getting it :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've used just about all the selling platforms and could probably write another book about all the silly replies I've had.

If you take the view that getting someone to come and collect it is cheaper and less hassle than going to the tip, then Gumtree or Facebook marketplace with a price tag of around a tenner should see it go fast. That said, you are still likely to get someone asking if can deliver it, or "can I send a courier?". Aagh!