Oulton Broad Pubs

Smoggy

The one in beccles get funny about dogs in their on street tables, I don't think it's even their property I'm sure it's council ground in which case I'll gladly get barred over a barney about it, however I wouldn't spend the money there in the first place.

Dogs inside info please, the weather isn't that great this week and I'd like to stay till closing time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Outside at The Commodore , good food , service and ales

Not so sure about "good food" Ate in here once. Food tasted l.ovely what there was of it. I was served the smallest Sea  Bass I've ever seen I've always regretted not complaining. As said , tasted lovely but don't expect a healthy appetite to be well served would be my advice.

Carole

15 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

What I will say is the chip shop that has reopened is very good, it was a bit chaotic ordering but the fish was first class and comes with a slice of lemon. 

A slice of lemon Doug! They really are pushing th boat out, or is that the boats boat, or even the boats boats boat :default_eusa_dance::default_hiding:

• Like 1

Had a nice brekkie at no.142 cafe, dogs in garden but lots of undercover with heaters (a bit over the top for august).

Spent the night in the bitch in the ditch.

Took train to lowestoft and currently sat outside the jolly sailor at wakefield, dog found a fellow Romanian on the beach to run about with so needs a rest....

• Like 2

I generally find the Commodore quite decent, but when we went in June we were a bit underwhelmed.

Mrs OG had somehow not been before and there I was bigging the place up as I'd been there several times with the boys and really enjoyed the food, and what we ended up with was nothing special and took ages to arrive.

Staffing is definitely an issue across the board, and the limited menu will have been related to that, but the service could have been better...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think staffing is a serious issue across the UK. We are due to (finally and hopefully) go to Minehead at the end of September (postponed from May 2020 to May 2021 and then postponed again to Sept), so I've been doing my usual checking out of local hostelries and places we could go. Several pubs in that vicinity are still open only three days a week or so, others seem to be managing fine. Some museums are still closed, others taking advance bookings only, so a very mixed bag. I just hope the weather is decent so that we can get out and about without having to get under cover. Still toying with the idea of doing a steam train trip. Is it too risky?(Apparently lots of the heritage railway lines have taken a real hit to their finances due to Covid and are at risk of closing.)

Whilst trying to work out where would be safe for us to visit I keep reminding myself how fortunate we have been to have had holidays on the Broads on Moonlight Shadow in between lockdowns. The perfect holiday for these times.

Guest Trembler
On 25/08/2021 at 09:52, CambridgeCabby said:

I’m not able to state if dogs are permitted indoors 

No only outdoors, the same as The Wherry Hotel.

The Lady Of The Lake and The Waveney allow dog's indoors, as does The Copper Smokehouse. Other venues allow dog's indoors a little further away from the Broad too

20 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Had a nice brekkie at no.142 cafe, dogs in garden but lots of undercover with heaters (a bit over the top for august).

Spent the night in the bitch in the ditch.

Took train to lowestoft and currently sat outside the jolly sailor at wakefield, dog found a fellow Romanian on the beach to run about with so needs a rest....

Probably the Jolly Sailors in Pakefield