What Tv ?

Sound quality has always been poor on small flat screen TVs 

This is our setup. All off the 12v and usb.

CBFFD931-BD4E-40CF-A0A0-DE130FFB5B05.thumb.jpeg.89e2d68b6ed651bf34a8d050b2f5a6db.jpeg

medion tv with dvd from Aldi’s and sound bar from eBay. About £150 in total.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183770344799?epid=0&hash=item2ac990ed5f:g:w6kAAOSwCqZcr0Lb

We connect the sound bar direct but don’t use the usb on the tv to charge it. This is provided by a cigar lighter extension which has usb on it as well .

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, i decided to go for a cello in the end, as it is purely 12v, saves a lot of messing around. The sound on the 22" traveller is not brilliant as some have pointed out, but its usable, but i plugged in a Bose speaker and its all good now.. :-)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 01/09/2021 at 14:02, CambridgeCabby said:

Cello sell 12volt tv’s amongst their range and for these no inverter is required , example below this one has a fitted DVD player also 876AF993-CEAC-4437-AB10-44FA11B74FD0.thumb.jpeg.8f68d951136438b6744f23490a6c3fa5.jpeg

I’ve been reading through this thread with interest and some puzzlement, not being tech minded. 

I have a domestic/Waeco fridge that somehow my son in law has wired up to run on 12v when cruising, but by flicking a ‘rocker switch’ I can run it it on 240v when on shore power. 

If I understand him correctly, he says he can do the same for a TV.
I understand I need one that says suitable for boats/motor homes cos of fluctuating 12v issues on boats. 
The cello one (or very similar) that Simon highlighted caught my eye when browsing the internet. It’s the size I want as I’m not a great tv watcher, don’t do films and the like, but good enough to keep me company on a long winters evening!

First question - does anyone have one and is it recommended? I read a few comments recommending cello but not this actual one I don’t think. 

Second question - would I need a sound bar that a few people have mentioned if it’s just to listen to normal tv programmes etc. 

Third question - to run it on 240v when on shore power like the fridge, do I need to get one that is advertised as 12v/240v? 

Fourth question - I have the original tv aerial from the tv when it was a hire boat. It’s very good and normally I can just sit it on the helm seat and get a good signal. Sometimes I hang it from the handle of the sliding sunroof. It is rather bulky though.
Would I need a different one with a cello tv, and if so, what do I need? I won’t be using ‘sky’ or similar.
I did read that some people mentioned omni ballade. Would that work if I just plugged it into my aerial socket in the boat? I do have a second aerial socket in the front well that, once mended, could be used for an outside aerial. 

As you can see, some what I think to be very simple questions, but probably not in reality. 
Any advice much appreciated.

You shouldn't need a soundbar on a boat, modern tv's tend to have crap speakers (design flaw or what!) but how far away are you going to be on a boat??

If you get a good signal on another tv the cello should be no different, I have a feeling (no actual experience) the ballade is a powered antenna so would need a 12v supply if that is the case, if what you have works for your use stick with it.

My waeco fridge has an external box inline that automatically uses 240v when available and 12v when not if you get fed up with switching over every time.

• Thanks 1

We use a Sharp smart TV 240v with no sound bar.  We are well pleased with it, its our third tv and the best one to date.  We use the ballade omni aerial which needs its own 12v supply, we also have a booster 12v in the system too.  Works for us just fine

If you look back in our 'TLC' Thread you can see the ballade system and how we mounted it

Griff

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Hi

We have a cello on an ordinary aerial. The sound isn't the best but it does us like anything else you don't seem to notice after a while 

The advantage for us is it comes with an adaptor so you can plug into mains or 12volt 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

ditto 

Carole

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Hi

We have a cello on an ordinary aerial. The sound isn't the best but it does us like anything else you don't seem to notice after a while 

The advantage for us is it comes with an adaptor so you can plug into mains or 12volt 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

And the same for us…😎

• Thanks 1

We have a Cello 22 inch solar powered TV on a Ballade aerial (12v power supply required).

The TV has a solar panel that sits on the roof of the boat to charge the TV. It can also be used on the mains or the boat leisure batteries without the solar panel, but we let the panel charge the TV internal battery ready for the next use. It saves the TV from draining the boat batteries if used too much. We have had it now for a couple of years and are very pleased with it.

Bought it direct from Cello with excellent service.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like it’s a cello for me then. Either 19” or 22” depending on carefully measured space available when I next go to the boat. So that’s one decision made. I looked them up a bit more last night and see they come with 12v adapter anyway, so I presume I wire it into the 240v and then use the 12v when necessary. And a built in DVD player so Catherine and Roald and their impending family will be catered for!
And I think no soundboard, based on both Smoggy and MargeandParge’s posts, I’m not a purist so can put up with sound not of the premium quality. It’s only a little living area. I can always add one in future. 

Was yours an actual solar powered TV, Heron ie advertised as such? I don’t think I’d need to wire a TV up to the existing solar panel directly if that’s what you meant. 
My solar panel helps charge the domestic batteries and I don’t tend to have an issue with power when down the river.   

So now just to think about the electrics and the jury’s still out on the aerial. I do like the idea of a neater aerial than my existing but not sure about an extra, perhaps not needed, 12v draw. 
I’ll look up the broad ambition tlc thread this evening Griff. 
And thankyou about the fridge electrics too Smoggy. 

Thank you all so much. 
Any more thoughts/advice/experiences most welcome. 

We use one of these on Moonlight Shadow.  The only issue maybe that you need a usb socket near the TV to plug the aerial into.  Seems to work well enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Falcon-Amplified-Magnetic-Freeview-Motorhome/dp/B082L3CHGB/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=UDCZ9VB6JLHI&keywords=Falcon+tv+aerial+for+caravan&qid=1673965921&sprefix=falcon+tv+aerial+for+caravan%2Caps%2C54&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A1AF439G1JCXKF

We have something similar on Norfolk Lady, but with a separate 240v signal booster.  

• Thanks 1

HIi kpnut, the solar powered tv comes with its own solar panel with a long wire, it plugs into a socket on the back of the TV. I just feed the wire into the boat, plug into the socket and it starts charging. A light on the side of the TV flashes when it is charging and shows solid when the battery is full. Very simple to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We bought a Cello for the boat a few years ago and liked it so much that we replaced the t. v  in our kitchen with another bigger one. True the sound quality is pretty rubbish   but then so it is on most flat screen t.v.s. On the boat we use a Ballade ariel. Don't know if this is of any use, but  I seem to remember  I got the best deal from an outfit in Yorkshire no idea who  too  long ago found them on line.

Carole

• Thanks 1

The one pictured earlier in this thread isn't the one we are currently using which is slightly bigger!

It's situated above the helm and has two aluminium hangers I made up and fastened to the back of the tv.  It hangs over the windscreen surround so doesn't sit on the fwd dash. I have hard wired in a tv coax point to the side of the helm adjacent to the 240v supply plug.  The dvd sits on the dash top next to the tv. 

This is the third and final sighting place for the tv, took us three goes over the years to get it correct.  When not in use, we simply lift it off the windscreen then it gets hung in a fwd cabin on a bulkhead out of the way - Simples.  If your ever around when I am, pop onboard and I'll give you a demo.  I hope to be onboard in Stalham next month sometime

Griff