Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

Had a lovely morning in Hemsby , not many people turned up for the open day at the lifeboat sadly , returned to Stalham , cleaned the boat and windows and pootled to Sutton for a pump out , a boat had just vacated the far end of the green so we are now moored up sitting shoreside in the shade listening to the live music at the Stalham Hotel 😊

• Like 2

We left Salhouse at 10:00 and motored into Wroxham to check clearance at the bridge , showing at about 6ft7” so we would just (fag paper clearance) be able to pass under but with the impending rain we felt best not to, so about turn and off we went , clouds were gathering overhead and as we passed the Swan we spotted Luna Aurora in prime spot on Horning green moorings and seeing the far end spot on the concrete section was free we decided to moor up .

Have a pleasant chat to the crew of Luna Aurora and decided to stay put for the day/evening just before the heavens opened and a rain storm began . A very wet day ensued , we dined in The Swan and very good it was too , Kate says the lasagne was the best she has had on the Broads for a long while and she is certainly a connoisseur of a good lasagne !!

Left the moorings at 09:15 this morning and are now tucked up at Ranworth enjoying an Abbott or two , bit overcast and breezy but still sitting outside enjoying the ambience .

As a footnote , Horning had zero internet connection on O2 , whilst it has never been the best reception it is abysmal now  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

As a footnote , Horning had zero internet connection on O2 , whilst it has never been the best reception it is abysmal now  

I believe the mast removed at Neatishead that covers the Horning Area belonged to 02. I understand it was removed as it interfered with the military's new radar dome (not the much maligned seagull) Why no joined up thinking and planning for a new one first? If anyone on a boat out on the water in this area needs urgent medical assistance, there is no way of contacting anyone (ok years ago that always applied, but that's not the point in the 21st century).

I can't find any up to date information about the new mast proposed at Horning Village Hall, does anyone know what's happening please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Copied from the Horning Community FB page.  Hope admin don't mind as relevant to those on holiday etc. 

_----_--------------------------------------

Update on the phone signal/temporary mast

HPC met with the company which will do the construction on the temporary mast for O2 last week, on the recreation ground. Unfortunately, this site is not considered viable and O2 will be housing this mast on a farm, just on the offskirts of Horning (plan B).

All of Horning will still be covered by this; the signal strength is not decreaed due to being outside of the center of Horning. Those on various contracts (Vodafone etc.) - those network providers are coming in with O2 on this temporary mast. 

The building works will commence shortly, and the mast will be live around 26th September.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LizG said:

Copied from the Horning Community FB page.  Hope admin don't mind as relevant to those on holiday etc. 

HPC met with the company which will do the construction on the temporary mast for O2 last week, on the recreation ground. Unfortunately, this site is not considered viable and O2 will be housing this mast on a farm, just on the offskirts of Horning (plan B).

All of Horning will still be covered by this; the signal strength is not decreaed due to being outside of the center of Horning. Those on various contracts (Vodafone etc.) - those network providers are coming in with O2 on this temporary mast. 

The building works will commence shortly, and the mast will be live around 26th September.

Any thing has to be better than it is now. I have to drive to Wroxham to make a phone call. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LizG said:

Thank you for the update, that sounds good and reception should be better than before as the old mast was at Neatishead.

To make calls in the Horning area at the moment, we have to return to our marina berth at Horning Pleasurecraft, where we have excellent wifi. However, this does restrict calls to friends and family via WhatsApp, we can't make calls to landlines. 

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

However, this does restrict calls to friends and family via WhatsApp, we can't make calls to landlines. 

Check with your mobile provider and phone capability, some allow regular calls and texts via wifi, I get that on my cheapy lebara sim so when there's no signal anywhere with wifi gives me all options.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Check with your mobile provider and phone capability, some allow regular calls and texts via wifi, I get that on my cheapy lebara sim so when there's no signal anywhere with wifi gives me all options.

If anyone can tell me how to do this via wifi, I would be grateful. I am with EE and have a Samsung A70, My wifi is with Tesco, who use the o2 network and has an iPhone 14