Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

After a bit of a wet morning we departed Horning staithe , yesterday we had an excellent Sunday roast at The Swan and also I spent a few hours enjoying the London Pride in the evening , most enjoyable , we didn’t travel far as we fancied Salhouse where we are moored up now , very windy so have utilised an extra line from the centre cleat to another post for stability but it if gets much more breezy then we will have to moor side on , there’s plenty of space as only three boats including us moored up 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Simon,

Did you mind being referred to as the 'party boat' on that YouTube video that Sam posted of Mermaid's Ludham Bridge transit?

:default_coat:

but also

:default_rofl:

I don’t mind at all , the only reason he heard it was that for a few minutes I had to drop everything to get under the bridge , as soon as we cleared the bridge the roof . Screens etc were back up and what ever sound was inside the boat only 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I always moor side on at Salhouse in the winter. Shouldn't be a problem as there are so few boats about. Fur and Feather or the Stag? Footpath a bit muddy at the mo! 

Unfortunately the walk to either is further than Katie can manage :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Aw, that's a shame, I understand. Looks like you're on the middle section? Nice quiet spot. If I was still there I'd nip up to the F and F and bring a Notfolk Nog back for you :default_beerchug:

Fortunately I have a gallon or two of Abbott Ale to sustain me on board 

• Like 4

On 16/02/2024 at 19:29, CambridgeCabby said:
On 16/02/2024 at 18:47, BrundallNavy said:

Good news is the Pub will be open again soon hopefully by Easter. 

Any idea who the new “mine host” is ?

On one of the Facebook groups, the rather cryptic conversation going to and fro between a boater and Steve from the Granary implied we might all know the new landlord. Presume one and the same, but if I’m wrong, I’m not trying to start rumours!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hankered down yesterday at Horning during the high winds , left at 8:30 this morning , travelled up to Womack unfortunately the moorings were near as submerged so moved on , decided to go back up the Ant we caught a lull in the rain and dropped screen etc to clear the bridge which was showing 7ft0” roof/screens  back up and now moored up at Neateshead , a couple of other boats here and a few hardy anglers .

White Horse this evening I think 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Sounds like Ludham is running at a fairly steady 7 feet or thereabouts at the moment. 

I hope that changes in the next month or quite a few Richardsons customers are going to have a tricky time at Easter.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I hope that changes in the next month or quite a few Richardsons customers are going to have a tricky time at Easter.

Not to mention the staffing of it to get them through. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kpnut said:

Not to mention the staffing of it to get them through. 

We hired San Rafael from Richardsons for the May meat up.  Not my ideal choice but did kot want to get stuck 'the other side' with something higher. :default_badday:

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I was in reception yesterday and mentioned this, they have already been swapping customers onto lower boats.  OK for now but when Easter comes they won't have any spare boats!

Martham don't even have that option.

Water level on my mooring is very close to where it reached in October.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Back in the wet shed now after an enjoyable week afloat , a few more hire boats about as the week progressed .

We spent today in the company of our youngest son and his partner , and it was by far the best weather over the last week , afloat again in a couple of weeks 

IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_3935.jpeg

IMG_3933.jpeg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

We are up for the weekend , Friday we arrived late as Katie was covering at work , managed to make the Crown Catfield for 20:30 for dinner , back on board and unloaded by 22:30 .

Saturday chilly but sunny , poodled up to Ranworth , taxi rank sadly occupied so moored up adjacent to them in the side dyke , had a peaceful day and by dusk there were 10 boats moored up , dinner was on board and delivered by Acle Spice , good value and abundant but surprisingly, given the name of the establishment , totally lacking in spice.

Left the staithe at 09:30 and tried our luck at Horning , now moored at our favoured spot next to the Swan moorings 

IMG_4001.jpeg

IMG_4002.jpeg

• Like 5

We went for a lovely walk at Womack Water yesterday and saw several hire boats out and about. I guess it's those favourite spots that are always occupied even when it's quiet.

Also drove through Catfield yesterday. Is the Crown worth a visit?

• Like 2