Gps Speedometer

Ray

I'm thinking of installing one, at the moment I use my cell phone and an app. Has anyone any recommendations for a particular make/model?

I would quite like a standalone that I can recharge between trips by usb but am happy enough to hardwire one if that is a better or more accurate option.

• Like 1

i just use my tablet, this also has an external plug in usb antenna and with this I currently have 35 satellites in view, using 17 for positional fix and a positional accuracy of +- 4m, this is able to navigate me across breydon in the fog if necessary as I can easily keep within the posts (which are accurately plotted on the os map of the broads that I have as an offline map on the tablet) I generally use the two apps split screened on the tablet, so I can see where I am and use the speed part to see how fast I am going.

• Like 1

Because I had one kicking around from a previous car, I use a Garmin turned on to cycle mode to accommodate the speed to two decimal places. It also gives miles travelled, hours for movement and stationary. It also records the maximum speed , but that is easily zeroed if necessary (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

i just use my tablet, this also has an external plug in usb antenna and with this I currently have 35 satellites in view, using 17 for positional fix and a positional accuracy of +- 4m, this is able to navigate me across breydon in the fog if necessary as I can easily keep within the posts (which are accurately plotted on the os map of the broads that I have as an offline map on the tablet) I generally use the two apps split screened on the tablet, so I can see where I am and use the speed part to see how fast I am going.

Wow! And Ray just wanted a speedo…:default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Ray said:

My crew would tackle me to the ground and tie me up if I tried to cross Breydon in fog πŸ˜‚

I've done it in the dark in fog, that was with plotter and radar, the posts are bang on position on the garmin topo maps and work nicely in my plotter.

If you have an android tablet why not use MMtracker with the broads 1:25k mapping and have full offline mapping, I have the files for setup and map if required.

• Thanks 1

Personally I don't think a speedometer is needed, just a bit of thought is needed and a look over the stern to see what sort of wash is being made.

With regards to crossing Breydon in the fog, I had an experience many years ago when I left GY in clear conditions on a rising tide and encountered a blanket of fog half way across, I believe it is called Ha by the locals. I had to tie up to one of the posts that I eventually found for the evening. Fortunately I had plenty of food, water and booze on board and spent a wonderful quiet night with no revving diesels and annoying loud people to wreck my morning. I awoke to a wonderful sunrise over GY, sloshed up a sausage egg and bacon breakfast with a cup of stand your spoon in tea and caught the morning rising tide to Norwich.Β Β 

Β  Β Β 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Popeye said:

just a bit of thought is needed and a look over the stern to see what sort of wash is being made.

That is where a gps speedo lets you down, the speed limit is often way too much past moored boats when against the tide and sometimes gives barely any control running with the tide in certain areas.

But of course the rangers use speed guns so speed over ground is the rule, although excess wash is also a rule.

As black and white as a grey thing really.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That is where a gps speedo lets you down, the speed limit is often way too much past moored boats when against the tide and sometimes gives barely any control running with the tide in certain areas.

But of course the rangers use speed guns so speed over ground is the rule, although excess wash is also a rule.

As black and white as a grey thing really.

All that is needed is a bit of common sense. Speed limits may be ok but in some circumstances speed may be much lower for safety.Β