New Boat Waste Facilities In Hoveton

SwanR

Looks as if we have new boat waste facilities almost ready to open in Hoveton. They are by the Hoveton St John moorings. I had seen some work going on down there recently and found this on my walk today. Boat waste only, recycling and non-recyclables. Looks like they are just waiting for the bins to arrive perhaps.

017106D2-094D-427C-9DD9-0AA1693E9566.thumb.jpeg.683fe8935c00c8a030467ed482360031.jpeg

39AB0F8D-34DE-4481-B684-BAB3C7D75627.thumb.jpeg.c8acf1d79166a4471c1ecf92f3a4a731.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mmm… good to see that recycling is being incorporated. I wonder how they can enforce “boat waste” only. Over the years I’ve seen plenty of non “boat waste” dumped there. Come to think of it that also applies to Reedham…😎

This is a similar set up to that at Neatished since 2020 where there is also a Glass Bank. Good to see North Norfolk District Council investing in the tourist industry. I wonder if Great Yarmouth Borough Council will do the same in their area at Thurne, Stokesby and their side of Potter Heigham Bridge where the tiny litter bins have to be emptied daily in the season & even Acle Bridge where the current bins are provided I think by BA.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am as far from perfect as could be . 

But littering , as my Wee Granny did say , " rips my knitting ". It's sheer ignorance. Why people would want to mess the place they live in , is one of the big bewilderment in my small brain. Apart from the very unfortunate, we can all see the beauty of our planet. We can all see the impact poor housekeeping causes , both cosmetically and environmentally.

Anyone found breaking these rules should be forced to carry out community service , litter picking for many a day.

Or go and watch my football team 😂😂😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyTBoater said:

However. People still haven't quite worked out how bins work. 

To be fair, the recycling ones were pretty full but the general waste had loads of room. 

20220422_115747.jpg

No, we haven't got this recycling thing at all. The loose stuff in the pic is all recycle stuff but the boxes aren't crushed and plastic bottles have caps on so if others have done the same it explains why the bins are full. But then if they had put that stuff in a general waste bin and filled that, you may well get general waste dumped there attracting cats/rats.

we are moored up here tonight - recycle bins were emptied this afternoon, though they didn't pick up the waste that left on the floor, which is a real shame as it makes the area look a mess. Think the bins were better placed where they were before rather than on the quay side.

one positive, it's noticeable that they are trying to tidy up all the waste ground area between the basin and the railway lines - looks a lot better.

2 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

and dumping it in the garden of the house where the plebs that don't care what it looks like live

How would you know?

anyway, I’m concerned that the guys emptying the containers didn’t think to pick up the detritus. If they won’t, who will? Kind hearted volunteers?

• Like 2

Hi All

I am not a jobs worth but sometimes it isn't the guys fault that actually empty the bins that the extra is not taken, their company will not allow it. Normally contracted to pick up bins on a price per bin and extras take time and space on the lorry so the next job may not fit on making an extra tip run necessary. All in the name of competition price cutting and contracting out of services.

That company may have another contract that pays another group to go and clean up rubbish, another earner for the contractor. After all if a factory paid a firm to empty a bin once a week that is what would happen, unless they ordered an extra empty.

Most modern lorries are tracked and have live cctv looking at the crew and anybody that shouts at them.

Another thing is if that bin was in your kitchen would you keep tipping stuff on top of it to bury it and cover your kitchen floor or would you make sure the bin had enough room in it before you filled it. 

Tis a funny old world and we almost need a contract to run a contract. I  suppose that "good will" has to be paid for by somebody, either that or supply more bins. 

Most drivers and loaders don't like to leave a mess but as they get told "It is what it is and we are where we are."

Sometimes the old ways were better value for money and certainly gave the employee more job satisfaction as they used to take ownership of their role and job.

Kindest Regards

Marge and Parge

• Like 2

Nothing to do with bins but another bit of good news.    The Public Toilets in Reedham are being renovated.     They were in a sorry state.    Reedham Parish Council and myself and probably others have been badgering North Norfolk Council to get these sorted for some time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Sometimes the old ways were better value for money and certainly gave the employee more job satisfaction as they used to take ownership of their role and job.

Absolutely agree with you on that one.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Absolutely agree with you on that one.

People use to take pride in their work and quite frankly I can understand why they dont now, because you dont get any better thought of for being conscientious at the end of the day you are just a number.

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Nothing to do with bins but another bit of good news.    The Public Toilets in Reedham are being renovated.     They were in a sorry state.    Reedham Parish Council and myself and probably others have been badgering North Norfolk Council to get these sorted for some time.

I will add I had an email from the Parish Clerk this morning and I will below show you part of  her reply.

I wish I could take credit but I'm afraid it was entirely the decision of Broadland District Council.  However, we are extremely pleased they are doing the renovations and really hope they will improve the facilities.

We haven't yet been able to get them to agree to open the toilets all year round, but once the work has finished we will be talking to them again to see if they will consider it.  Fingers crossed!

When I read the last paragraph I immediately thought of our winter boaters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

I will add I had an email from the Parish Clerk this morning and I will below show you part of  her reply.

I wish I could take credit but I'm afraid it was entirely the decision of Broadland District Council.  However, we are extremely pleased they are doing the renovations and really hope they will improve the facilities.

We haven't yet been able to get them to agree to open the toilets all year round, but once the work has finished we will be talking to them again to see if they will consider it.  Fingers crossed!

When I read the last paragraph I immediately thought of our winter boaters.

Thinking of North Norfolk District Council  - they  were planning to close the public toilets at Potter Heigham ( the ones with the sign so small visitors don't spot them) I will find out if they have been convinced to keep them open

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

When I see a mess left in an area with bins provided I feel like picking it all up            

and dumping it in the garden of the house where the plebs that don't care what it looks like live

Jeff

My house is passed by  school kids during the day. Very rarely do I arrive home and not have to pick up discarded litter, which I then put in my bin . Bad enough,but in these covid times , even worse. But what do you do? 

Leaving it isn't really an option,but I'm aware I am doing exactly what the plebs who drop it think " some other mugs problem"

Some cultures just don't have the problem, it must all be in education, and more importantly, decent parenting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

Thinking of North Norfolk District Council  - they  were planning to close the public toilets at Potter Heigham ( the ones with the sign so small visitors don't spot them) I will find out if they have been convinced to keep them open

Thank you,   we have to keep shifting the carpet from beneath their feet every now and then to make sure they are still aware that the public need these facilities. 

I’m all for new facilities on the broads but why on earth did they nearly put them nearly in the river!

its spoilt the view from the benches in the park if people couldn’t walk to where they were it’s says it all about todays society!!!! 

Another blog on the landscape 

6 hours ago, Hylander said:

We were at Loddon last week and the Toilets have been beautifully refurbished, except that the Male area has only one cubicle with no sign of a door, although the pre-drilled holes for hinges are in the partition. Talk about 'being caught with your pants down'.

10 minutes ago, Roy said:

I’m all for new facilities on the broads but why on earth did they nearly put them nearly in the river!

its spoilt the view from the benches in the park if people couldn’t walk to where they were it’s says it all about todays society!!!! 

Another blog on the landscape 

At least they have not followed Great Yarmouth Borough Council who removed all bins for boat waste in 2014

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulN said:

We were at Loddon last week and the Toilets have been beautifully refurbished, except that the Male area has only one cubicle with no sign of a door, although the pre-drilled holes for hinges are in the partition. Talk about 'being caught with your pants down'.

Loddon Toilets have been targeted by vandals and worse for many years now with the cleaners having to return far more often than is needed at very similar locations - even CCTV does not seem to deter them