So What Is Going On At Herbert Woods

FlyingFortress

37 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

May I now ask about your inspection routines for vessels going on hire.

Does anyone inspect the boats and have to declare them fit for purpose.

Does this happen at every change over,once a week,month or year.

Is there any form of function test on any of the on board equipment such as CO detector, heating, flame outs for cookers etc?

I only ask as Griff and BA had an issue with a flame out device IIRC. Not a problem with an experienced crew such as BA but could be serious for inexperienced hire crew.

Or indeed the freezing crew on the HW boat

Was there even flame outs back in the days when Vaughan ran a yard? :default_gbxhmm: :default_hiding: 

48 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Well I know it wasnt exactly the 15th century but it was some time ago wasnt it?

Actually I finally retired 6 years ago.  After quite a time in the business, one way or another.  I gave my first trial run to customers, on an auxiliary yacht, when I was 13.   I was a time-served painter and yacht rigger by the time I was 14.

But no matter, the message is clear.  I have enjoyed sharing my experience here and I hope it has been of use to those who have been interested.  There is no fun, however, in offering help and advice based on a whole career of "hands on" if it is simply to be ridiculed by trolling.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Actually I finally retired 6 years ago.  After quite a time in the business, one way or another.  I gave my first trial run to customers, on an auxiliary yacht, when I was 13.   I was a time-served painter and yacht rigger by the time I was 14.

But no matter, the message is clear.  I have enjoyed sharing my experience here and I hope it has been of use to those who have been interested.  There is no fun, however, in offering help and advice based on a whole career of "hands on" if it is simply to be ridiculed by trolling.

In no way, shape or form can my quoted post be seen as trolling!

43 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

In no way, shape or form can my quoted post be seen as trolling!

You are quite right, the trolling was from another source and, strictly speaking, on a different thread.

I guess I am just a bit tired, that's all.  Tired of seemingly always having to defend the experience, organisation and service of traditional Broads boatyards from spurious bank-side allegations.

I see it as pathetic to suggest that a yard has no system in place for the servicing of its boats and quite disgraceful to actually suggest to a customer on holiday that the safety appliances on his boat don't work properly as the yard hasn't bothered to prepare the boat beforehand.

It leaves me in the position of not wanting to raise subjects for discussion or enter topics about hire boats, for fear of being  put down in public by someone who then happily states he knows nothing about boatyards. 

Not in the best spirit of this forum, I suggest - and not good for its future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Quite staggering really, with everything that's going wrong in this bonkers world. People fall out over some batteries and a bit of leg pulling. What on earth is wrong with this world. The Internet has never been a kind place so if folk are really that easily offended maybe the Internet isn't for them 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Was there even flame outs back in the days when Vaughan ran a yard? :default_gbxhmm: :default_hiding: 

I have to say that if you had been involved in putting out the number of fires that I did, after gas explosions in the days of Jenners, you would have no doubt what the flame failure devices are for. As chairman of the technical committee of Blakes I was heavily involved in the installation of many such safety features.

• Like 2

On a lighter note, I've just watched a rather large convoy of woods largest boats leaving the yard. Packed with youngsters and kayaks/ canoes. Good to see, I always remember as a child seeing large groups sea Scots etc at Easter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have to say that if you had been involved in putting out the number of fires that I did, after gas explosions in the days of Jenners, you would have no doubt what the flame failure devices are for. 

But I do what their purpose is Vaughan, whatever gave you reason to think I didnt.

2 hours ago, andyg said:

On a lighter note, I've just watched a rather large convoy of woods largest boats leaving the yard. Packed with youngsters and kayaks/ canoes. Good to see, I always remember as a child seeing large groups sea Scots etc at Easter. 

Yes, a group from the Perse school in Cambridge, first outing since covid started, so lots of very excited youngsters.  I noticed them and sent a message to my sister who works there to confirm they’d arrived safely!!!! She wasn’t sure where they were heading, but thought maybe under the bridge. They have camping gear stowed on board and will have prearranged fields for camping with various landowners. They’ve used the campsite at salhouse before now. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

We've done it before now, especially with teams of two on t board.  Strawberry Mivvies can sort of grasp the tactics behind it, Crabfats with a lot of gentle instruction, Pongo's - Not a prayer :facepalm:

Griff

Blimey 

That's all a bit of a strange language to me..

It was a while since I heard it. 

10 Pinter's and munchers.

40 years this week you know

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

We've done it before now, especially with teams of two on t board.  Strawberry Mivvies can sort of grasp the tactics behind it, Crabfats with a lot of gentle instruction, Pongo's - Not a prayer :facepalm:

Griff

Oi! I’ll have you know that I’ve got muckers that’ll run rings round ya uckers any day (once I’ve taught them some basic rules and supplied them with sea sickness pills and bags) :default_biggrin: :default_biggrin:

Chris

:27_sunglasses::default_coat:

LOL....... :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Did 10 years with grey funnel line, never did get my head around the rules of uckers, noms yes, uckers no, too many different versions - devonport, rosyth, wafu even wardroom. I'll get my coat griff.......

• Like 1