Small Calor Gas Bottles.... Help!

tjg1677

Hello everyone and happy easter.

Need help, desperately trying to track down a 4.5 kg blue calor butane gas bottle. Does anyone know where there are any please? Even a similar size flowgas or other brand would do as I can get an adapter to suit.

Thanks in advance

Trev

Them things are the holy grail. flogas would be a good option as long as the bottles fit your locker, I managed to get a spare 4.5kg butane over winter and I'm hanging on to it for grim death as supplies will only get harder as we go into summer.

For me it was a case of phoning the local supplier regularly as they don't know when they'll appear themselves, my last one was a shock to the supplier when there was two on the lorry.

They are short of bottles but won't return deposits on old ones so no-one will hand an old one in, a stupid situation that's been going on a couple of years now, empty bottles have been going for good money on ebay as you can't buy one without an empty and even then you have to find stock available first.

And so many boats have gas lockers that will only fit the 4.5kg calor!!!!

• Like 1

Bite the bullet and switch to Flogas - they show them as being available online and they have a distribution centre at Ludham/Catfield.  However you will have to pay for a new bottle as they will not take the Calor bottle as a swop.

Think you will find the regulator is the same

Thanks everyone for your replies, the way to go is flogas methinks.  Trouble is I am also struggling to track down flogas 4.5 kg and my lockers will not accommodate anything bigger. As a last resort Have e mailed flogas, will see what they say.

Cheers

Trev.

As an alternative have you considered the 2.7kg refillable bottles that you refill at an LPG station. Gaslow make them and a few other brands.

We have 2x11kg refillable Gaslow bottles in the motorhome with an auto change over and they were worth every penny. They will pay for themselves in the next year or so. Even with LPG prices being high at the moment they are much cheaper to refill than an equivalent Calor exchange.

Some places are having LPG supply issues but there are plenty of filling stations around. We are ringing ahead to check that places have it in stock at the minute.

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

During our winter service we changed over to the red Propane bottles with a new regulator. The pressure is better and the bottles are easier to get.

And it will work at low temperatures.

20220421_094941.thumb.jpg.a83d0bb34664c63b0374f7dd2f946162.jpg

I think it all depends on the position of the gas locker, if very exposed you really need propane in winter, my bottles are in a locker under canopy cover and over the engine bay so if we are on board and engines been run the temerature will always be higher than fully outside or we'll be going home.

I've seen regulators freeze as soon as the gas was turned on before with butane.

On 18/04/2022 at 13:17, tjg1677 said:

Hello everyone and happy easter.

Need help, desperately trying to track down a 4.5 kg blue calor butane gas bottle. Does anyone know where there are any please? Even a similar size flowgas or other brand would do as I can get an adapter to suit.

Thanks in advance

Trev

I took out an account with Flogas a few years back, they are quite happy to exchange my 1lkg Propane bottles one at a time, direct from their works on their own lorry.

Here are details of their 4.5kg butane bottles

https://www.flogas.co.uk/product/4-5kg-butane-gas-cylinder?c=all-cylinders 

• Like 1