Tragic Accident About A Dog

Andrewcook

Hi all as most of us Forum Members have Dogs there was a Tragic Accident of a Dog Drowned at Sutton, Staith yesterday my heart goes out to the owners of that Dog no longer with them as the River has taken it under all I hope it can resurface along where it went in. and able to bury.it is at home.

• Sad 1

According to the report in the EDP, they attempted to reverse the boat to try to get the dog back, which dragged it back under the water.

Although this may be an instinctive reaction, sadly it’s probably the worst thing they could have done as the poor animal could have been sucked back through the prop.

Following recent incidents on The Broads, I’m surprised that information on the do’s and don’t’s in the event of a person or animal falling overboard aren’t more strongly advised on takeover instruction at the boatyards.

• Like 4

This is a similar comment to one I have just posted about grounding on Breydon. How many dogs have been drowned on the Broads in the last 10 years? Or 20 years? Very few, I suggest.

13 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I’m surprised that information on the do’s and don’t’s in the event of a person or animal falling overboard aren’t more strongly advised on takeover instruction at the boatyards.

There is nothing in reports of this incident to suggest that they are not.

We always have a life jacket on Max during the day, although if we go for a walk or visit away from the water we do take it off, also we take it off when outside access not needed for the night. Will be more careful in future. The handle on the life jacket is excellent for getting him out. It is also great for dunking him in and cleaning his muddy legs. He is only 17kg though.

• Like 1

The thing with dogs, and youngsters, is they are not predictable. I had to grab a dog out the water that jumped for the bank on a boat mooring up a couple of years ago. Luckily it's collar held or it's would have got crushed. Would have been easier to grab with a jacket / full harness though.

• Like 1

So sad, I was watching HW webcam on Friday and was surprised by the sheer number of dogs that folk were taking aboard the boats. Apparently HW have changed there policy on pets aboard and now allow pets on all there cruisers. Lost my business I'm afraid, I'm not a dog lover ( I have my reasons) but I did notice how excited some of the dogs appeared. It made me wonder if the owners had life jackets. The water must seem very tempting to them on a warm day. Such a shame tho even not being dog friendly myself it still upsetting to hear. 

• Sad 1

I really couldn't image our life without a dog being part of it, as I was brought up with dogs and have had one for every year of my life to date

They really are a huge part of our family and incidents like this are heart-breaking

We were at Beccles when a nearby owners dog fell into the water and was lost even though my son jumped in to try and save it, but sadly it had sunken below the boat and he couldn't get to it.

This memory is still very raw and no doubt to the owners also

Dog ownership, love of the broads and syndicate ownership all come hand in hand for us and we probably wouldnt have been so keen to do the latter if it wasnt for our desire to give our dogs the very best experiences when in our care

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

We always have a life jacket on Max during the day, although if we go for a walk or visit away from the water we do take it off, also we take it off when outside access not needed for the night. Will be more careful in future. The handle on the life jacket is excellent for getting him out. It is also great for dunking him in and cleaning his muddy legs. He is only 17kg though.

Same as us, Pacific Cruisers hire one to us for free, if they didn't I'd just buy one