Water Rail Out And About.

Departed from Norwich, and headed downstream  on tickover, stopped at whittlingham to top up the fuel from my Jerry can. As I was down to  just 1 gallon in the tank. Then slowly puttered to Brundall church fen where I stopped and had breakfast.zazz

After breakfast I puttered off again, destination Cantley, passing the efforts to raise the sunken  boat. Arrived at cantly moored up and decided a nap 40 winks.

• Like 3

Well I don't know where the afternoon went, but all too soon it was early evening, a fleet of sailing boats arrived and with wind and tide were struggling to moor up, after assisting some and moving up a bit to give them space, I decided to visit the reedcuttets for my evening meal, a nice gammon and chips, with a pint of rhubarb cider.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, grendel said:

Well I don't know where the afternoon went, but all too soon it was early evening,

6 hours ago, grendel said:

Arrived at cantly moored up and decided a nap 40 winks.

There is your answer 😁

• Haha 4

I didn't even need the lunchtime  drink, though I have to say the rhubarb cider went down a treat in the evening with my meal. The food was excellent, I had the gammon steak, a big plateful and well cooked, simple fare, cooked well and with decent portions, just £15, and good value for that.

• Like 3

I did notice that the pub end of the public moorings at cantly will overtop at least 2" before the far end does, last night's high overtopped down that end, this mornings high is a good 6-10" lower.

21 minutes ago, grendel said:

I did notice that the pub end of the public moorings at cantly will overtop at least 2" before the far end does, last night's high overtopped down that end, this mornings high is a good 6-10" lower.

Its not unusual for Cantley, Reedham and Berney to overtop. One of the reasons that Langley and Polkeys Mill were so useful during high tides, but off course the BA have let both of them go. You would have thought a navigation authority would understand the needs of boaters on tidal waters!!!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

Aweigh is showing the tide still rising, yet the flow is clearly downstream, and only a few minutes before predicted high tide. 

Something that caught me out recently is that Shorebase is no longer showing BST times, only GMT, so you need to remember to add the hour.

35 minutes ago, grendel said:

Aweigh is showing the tide still rising, yet the flow is clearly downstream, and only a few minutes before predicted high tide. 

I don’t think that’s unusual. We stopped at Hardley Cross earlier in the year waiting for the tide to turn. The flow out continued for quite a while after the notional turn of the tide, but the level against the quay heading did start to go down.

I always understood it that the tide can have turned with the saline water flowing in underneath the fresh water still flowing out.

So it is a rising tide but with water still going out!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I always understood it that the tide can have turned with the saline water flowing in underneath the fresh water still flowing out.

So it is a rising tide but with water still going out!

Yes I’ve been in the boat moored at reedham flow looked like it was going out yet the boat was rising. 

This was just afew minutes before the high tide was predicted by aweigh.  I had a gentle cruise, revs for 4mph, yet I was doing 5.5 mph by gps. Down to Reedham, then through the new cut, I had Dutch tea gardens in mind, but when I got to the  first  wild mooring above Somerleyton, it was empty, and one I have never tried. So I gently nosed in, it does have the appearance of being shallow further in, so I will stick something in  all round the boat to determine the depth. Now just sitting watching boats pass.

• Like 1

It is touch and go here, at low water she was still able to be rocked, but seemed a little less able than normal,  so I guess she was touching the mud in places, so I wouldn't advise this spot for a deeper  draughted boat. Also I have noticed you catch the wind here and waves, so I have added a bow spring to stop her moving forward any further.

I marked that wild mooring on my map as a possibility when I went past it once and decided if it was do-able (as regards depth), it was the furthest downstream that I would try from the point of view of speed of the water etc. 
I’m pleased Grendel has tried it for me, I might not be brave enough now! Or maybe just a lunch stop near high tide. 

Low water this morning was a lot higher, I went for a swim, and the bottom is at least 12"of soft mud, so at worst you would need to wait a while for the tide to rise again, I would suggest going in nose first

I thought the tides were high over the past few days, not checked if it's neaps or springs but both Cantley and Reedham were topped.  Not been down south enough to know if this is common during summer or a recent issue.