Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

Saturday 27th May

Not such a peaceful night, with music coming from somewhere in the Hoveton direction for a lot of the night. I’ve since been told it’s a festival at Hoveton Hall. 
But an absolutely glorious morning to wake up to. A leisurely start as all I was doing was going to Coltishall and wanted to time it for some spaces, assuming it’d be busy. 
I arrived to find just one other boat. 
I plugged into the electric and used the credit to hoover and recharge a few things, like my toothbrush - modern problems !!!!

Not long after I arrived and as I was going across to the bins, a group of 7 young girls dressed in football kit ran over and asked if they could stroke Finlay. He’s not normally bothered to give anyone the time of day, preferring to just look at me and ignore, as if to say ‘do I really have to?’ but he completely surprised me by lying down in the middle of this noisy group of excited youngsters, and rolling over to enjoy the cuddles. That bodes well with new granddaughter then.😁

The rest of the morning was spent just watching the paddle boards, canoes etc. 

8F05A3FD-1064-4693-B437-CC5AD1899E3A.thumb.jpeg.9d533d819582053dcce19e489aef7b1b.jpeg

As the heat of the day gradually died down, we set off for a walk. Up a footpath opposite the old post office, leading to a quiet lane. 

99D1A97A-6868-4559-9E0D-7457CEB73E87.thumb.jpeg.f1363e9cc86dbc0ea7a4f4ecf16a1796.jpeg

This meandered round to an access point for the path running alongside the Bure Valley Railway.  It was lovely and shady for the most part. 
I noticed some very splendid mile markers, someone has done an excellent job fabricating those from galvanised steel. Tony would have loved a commission like that. 
8A32038D-7428-4E3A-BE70-1AC445D625F0.thumb.jpeg.0c57f6b502aa9748a2330340a89e27a7.jpeg

Plenty of hawthorn was out in flower. It might make a pretty scruffy tree, but is always stunning in flower (especially the red flowered varieties) and generously keeps us in the best wood for the woodburner each season, as most hedges that Tony gets to lay seem to be hawthorn.  
53D04F64-E572-4E20-8E5A-297D739E91F5.thumb.jpeg.ca37ffbd392c81321809967baee48d54.jpeg

CC54BE87-E186-4DD2-A84E-B1C2F71DC5BA.thumb.jpeg.90ee0cb26071af8a05f4512213fc93d6.jpeg

I came off the railway path at Hautbois Hall and made my way back along the riverbank. The river was busy with canoeists and paddle boarders.

37CD809C-A476-4337-9252-1BC30F36BBDC.thumb.jpeg.044fcdc54df7f0fc39d9426c3f577537.jpeg

9ECEA15D-1521-4E5B-B21D-902AC620DF6C.thumb.jpeg.28a4e73328c41e8a995371d587dcbc56.jpeg

Another dog walker told me it had recently got very busy after some publicity calling it the best place in the area for such activities. Everyone seemed to having a lot of fun and if it gets youngsters out into nature, I’m all for it. Just respect the natural environment and go quietly and you’ll learn a lot. 

I love that footpath down the side of the Bure at Coltishall.
013E8840-A16F-49E6-BE4A-E3EF2ECBE8B5.thumb.jpeg.ecd2bebc630e6d09653e424f11be11d9.jpeg

I walked back along the main road from the bridge, resisting the urge for an icecream from the garage. I’ll save that treat for when there’s ‘special icecream’ on offer somewhere. But on my return to the boat, I sat in the front well in the sunshine with a glass of cider and a book. 
The land based picnickers and water sports enthusiasts seemed to disappear about 6pm, the pubs still looked busy which must be good news for their futures. 

Coltishall in the holiday season, especially weekends, is not a peaceful place to moor, (well overnight it is) but it’s picturesque and always full of happy people. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Sunday 28th May

I used up the remaining electric  turning on the immersion heater to get a full tank of hot water prior to my VERY short cruise up to the lock this morning. What luxury that is!

Another beautiful morning, but the whispy cloud probably promises something else later today. 
It didn’t take long up to the lock where the only boat there departed just as I came in. 
I enjoyed having the place to myself for what seemed like ages, before canoeists started to arrive.
97D76192-C1CC-451D-AB68-A6D7B02FE5D5.thumb.jpeg.acfc5cb669db411a620c756bb93130f2.jpeg

By the time I set off for a walk, about 2pm, there were 5 boats moored up, more than I’ve seen before on previous visits. But fewer people enjoying the attraction of ‘riding the weir’ in the millpond over the way. In fact, when I returned at 5pm, there was no one. 
I had an excellent 6 mile walk, partly going places I haven’t been to before. 
I set off by following the path right opposite the vehicle entrance to the weir, up a steep bank to a small lane which then joins the main lane I’d just crossed. Round ghe corner, a very dusty track leads off to the left (marked Dove Farm only) and you can do a fairly short walk by following that round in a sort of square and turning right, back to the weir when you hit the road. It’s a nice walk that I’ve done a few times, some field edge, some pretty woodland (I’d just missed the bluebells). 

On hitting the road, I turned left instead and followed it before heading off on a path leading due south. Stopping to read the map as I reached a right angled bend, I realised I was at the ‘High and Low’ bridge by Little Switzerland. Seeing as all the posts about this place have intrigued me, I couldn’t resist climbing down the bank to take a look. So pleased I did. Very overgrown and the stream is virtually silted up, but very atmospheric.

ED58CFA8-8024-4C40-89E6-8D039044C509.thumb.jpeg.4f056d239606535be75a3703b354ec70.jpeg

I retraced my steps up the bank and went to see what was the other side, but the way down was inaccessible. 
Continuing on the walk, I could see a track on the map that would lead me into Little Switzerland itself, but when I got to it, it was marked ‘Private’ etc, so I respected that. 
When I reached the next road, I found a current planning permission application sign tied to the tree, for the dumping of dredging spoil in the marlpit. I can’t find evidence of a marlpit on the map. I hope it’s not Little Switzerland itself as that would seem a shame from an historical point of view. 

For anyone local who is interested 

E534EE75-F4F7-4CB3-B825-F9ABAF24F092.thumb.jpeg.1194102e606c6d7a3b1ee92d2ab508ca.jpeg

The rest of the walk took me to the outskirts of Crostwick and then along a path that led between two stinky oilseed rape fields. I can’t abide the smell of it.

9B173A23-D1B1-4E3B-A2EF-027320953B26.thumb.jpeg.c0afbc9ba97301045be8e8e7de04fae5.jpeg

Then through a horse livery complex to Frettenham - 2 places I hadn’t heard of. I walked the long way round the triangle of Frettenham to see what there was to see, but it’s a village comprised solely of houses; no shop, no pub. It does have a nice allotment site though!
I then followed the lane up to Horstead. The signpost had said 1 mile. I don’t know who they’re kidding, it was more like 2, but enjoyable all the same. Horstead has some nice allotments too!!!!

And so down to the weir, which as I said was empty of folk playing in the water. The wind has picked up so perhaps they were getting chilly. 
Finlay hadn’t had a drink all the way round the walk - it’s not often we do a completely ‘dry’ walk for him. So he was soon in the water back at the boat and I got the training dummy out to do some. water work with him. That finished him off and he’s now lying feet up on the sofa snoozing. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

Horstead has some nice allotments too!!!!

I’m not sure what it is about acquiring an allotment, but since we’ve had ours we are always curious to see what other ‘allotmenteers’ are growing.

Graham and I are failing miserably this year. Having the first couple of weeks in May on the boat isn’t exactly conducive to getting an allotment going for the season.

I don't think that there was ever a specific pit per se but the channels were just cut into the "hill" and the wherries "driven" in so they could dig out the marl and load it straight into the wherry alongside. There really is not a lot to see now other than some half filled dykes and i really cannot see much wrong with filling some of them up with mud from the river! Like it of not you do have to put dredgings somewhere and if you can put it on private land with the consent of the owner, then it seems a good idea. In a few years time i doubt you will know any difference to what it is now - dont forget dredgings are mostly water which will just drain away.

The channels cut into the hill have little real historical interest - plenty has been written and documented about the whole area and the operation and I doubt the whole impact will be other than minimal!

• Thanks 1

I hadn’t realised it was ‘man-made’, thinking it was just a random natural feature. 
I think the news article said after a year drying out, it’d be dug out again as compost/fertiliser. 
I would have loved to have explored a bit more. 

I’ve used so much of my monthly data I’ll look when I get home. The anticipation will be good for me!

Monday 29th May

It was distinctly chilly this morning, this north east wind is being unfriendly. It had been a very peaceful night at Coltishall lock. No music, in fact it had stopped soon after I mentioned it. Maybe it had been coming from somewhere other than Hoveton Hall after all. 
I had a leisurely pootle back down to Wroxham, stopping to fill with water at Bridge Broad yard. It’s so handy to stop there. I then double tracked and moored up at the Hoveton viaduct moorings to take Finlay for a run in the rough field behind. Not so rough as it’s been mown in the past few days. 
I swept the exterior of the boat  to remove all the willow seeds stuck all over it from the trees at the lock. And then Finlay had to manage on his own for a bit while I went to do a food shop. 
The bridge gauge was showing over 7’ as I went through, 2 hours before low tide, then it was just a matter of negotiating numerous dayboats etc on my way downstream. At one point I did have to do a quick reverse as a dayboat with a child driving decided to start weaving to and fro rather dramatically just as I was pulling out to overtake it. The adult supervising had a bit of a panic, as did the people relaxing at the back. I just waved nicely!!!

Horning was very busy. I took a picture of a very strange looking boat, but was a bit late and it doesn’t look so odd from behind. It got the ranger excited, waving his ‘slow down’ board at it sped past Southgates and the New Inn. 
B745918B-C89C-4525-9846-FEED9B8F620E.thumb.jpeg.f28b50384b4bdef921b563a6f19f7f12.jpeg

Spying a space at Horning church mooring, I pulled in behind the other moored boat, had a bite to eat and braved the still chilly wind by walking over to Griff’s Corner above Ludham Bridge on the Ant. A very friendly couple with their dogs were moored there, their second holiday and they had certainly caught the bug for boating on the Broads, loving the quieter spots, wild moorings etc, and planning their next booking and looking on the boat sales sites already. They told me a load of cows had got out from the grazing marsh earlier and their dogs had been surprised by 19 cows staring through the window at them! So the mooring was slightly less pristine than normal underfoot!!

On my return I sat a while with a glass of wine on the bench, watching quite a few of the yachts returning from their weekend of racing at Thurne mouth. 

FA6E9874-F3A8-4E1E-B43C-AB32C8A42EE0.thumb.jpeg.d8d461e08896573df304c5ce009d9b30.jpeg
As I returned to the boat, a hireboat came along, close, closer, closer until it gently kissed my boat. Why it had to do that when it had the whole river to itself is anyone’s guess but the man sitting in the aft well was certainly extremely alarmed and apologised profusely to me before disappearing inside, hopefully to give the helm an earful. No harm done whatsoever, but totally unnecessary and could have been an incident to report to the hire company and negotiate a repair. 
The river is now totally peaceful and calm. 

• Like 4

Sounds like a day of getting a few things done. Must feel good to get that water filled up and some shopping in. The forecast for the next few days looks a little on the cool side and mainly cloudy too. That northeasterly wind is predicted to keep us a bit cooler than the west of the country. 

The photo of the 'strange looking' boat was as it passed my brother's house. Our boats are just visible. I know a bit about that boat but shan't discuss on the forum.  If the sun shines go up to the church and watch the Swallowtails come up from the marshes to nectar on pink flowers. You might encounter my brother as he goes up to the church to record them!

10 hours ago, kpnut said:

I’ve used so much of my monthly data I’ll look when I get home. The anticipation will be good for me!

Monday 29th May

It was distinctly chilly this morning, this north east wind is being unfriendly. It had been a very peaceful night at Coltishall lock. No music, in fact it had stopped soon after I mentioned it. Maybe it had been coming from somewhere other than Hoveton Hall after all. 
I had a leisurely pootle back down to Wroxham, stopping to fill with water at Bridge Broad yard. It’s so handy to stop there. I then double tracked and moored up at the Hoveton viaduct moorings to take Finlay for a run in the rough field behind. Not so rough as it’s been mown in the past few days. 
I swept the exterior of the boat  to remove all the willow seeds stuck all over it from the trees at the lock. And then Finlay had to manage on his own for a bit while I went to do a food shop. 
The bridge gauge was showing over 7’ as I went through, 2 hours before low tide, then it was just a matter of negotiating numerous dayboats etc on my way downstream. At one point I did have to do a quick reverse as a dayboat with a child driving decided to start weaving to and fro rather dramatically just as I was pulling out to overtake it. The adult supervising had a bit of a panic, as did the people relaxing at the back. I just waved nicely!!!

Horning was very busy. I took a picture of a very strange looking boat, but was a bit late and it doesn’t look so odd from behind. It got the ranger excited, waving his ‘slow down’ board at it sped past Southgates and the New Inn. 
B745918B-C89C-4525-9846-FEED9B8F620E.thumb.jpeg.f28b50384b4bdef921b563a6f19f7f12.jpeg

Spying a space at Horning church mooring, I pulled in behind the other moored boat, had a bite to eat and braved the still chilly wind by walking over to Griff’s Corner above Ludham Bridge on the Ant. A very friendly couple with their dogs were moored there, their second holiday and they had certainly caught the bug for boating on the Broads, loving the quieter spots, wild moorings etc, and planning their next booking and looking on the boat sales sites already. They told me a load of cows had got out from the grazing marsh earlier and their dogs had been surprised by 19 cows staring through the window at them! So the mooring was slightly less pristine than normal underfoot!!

On my return I sat a while with a glass of wine on the bench, watching quite a few of the yachts returning from their weekend of racing at Thurne mouth. 

FA6E9874-F3A8-4E1E-B43C-AB32C8A42EE0.thumb.jpeg.d8d461e08896573df304c5ce009d9b30.jpeg
As I returned to the boat, a hireboat came along, close, closer, closer until it gently kissed my boat. Why it had to do that when it had the whole river to itself is anyone’s guess but the man sitting in the aft well was certainly extremely alarmed and apologised profusely to me before disappearing inside, hopefully to give the helm an earful. No harm done whatsoever, but totally unnecessary and could have been an incident to report to the hire company and negotiate a repair. 
The river is now totally peaceful and calm. 

The blue boat is the previous owner of Papaver’s  new craft, it’s not much of a looker in my opinion but it is very nice inside, I suppose you don’t see the outside when you are sat onboard. 

1 hour ago, LizG said:

Swallowtails come up from the marshes to nectar on pink flowers. You might encounter my brother as he goes up to the church to record them!

1 hour ago, grendel said:

wear a red tee shirt and you may be fortunate enough to have a swallowtail land on you thinking you are a huge flower.

Or perhaps Lizg's brother thinking you're a small church.

2 hours ago, LizG said:

The photo of the 'strange looking' boat was as it passed my brother's house. Our boats are just visible.

Hope the photo was good enough for you to be able to check up on them (the boats that is, not your brother)!

2 hours ago, LizG said:

If the sun shines go up to the church and watch the Swallowtails come up from the marshes to nectar on pink flowers. You might encounter my brother as he goes up to the church to record them!

I wish I’d had enough internet signal to read that yesterday evening. I would have done, although the sun was hiding most of the time. 
I perhaps met your brother last time I moored here, looking for the first yellow brimstones of the year. 

2 hours ago, grendel said:

wear a red tee shirt

Is that true Grendel? If so, I’ll have to raid a charity shop to keep one on board😂

2 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

it’s not much of a looker in my opinion but it is very nice inside, I suppose you don’t see the outside when you are sat onboard. 

They say that about kerb appeal of houses as well. I looked those boats up online, a Cobra Futura. Seems you can multiple alternative layouts and designs. 

• Like 1

Now moored at a blustery St Benet’s and going to go for a walk round to Ludham Bridge then Ludham itself, via Ken’s veg shed. And I must do a bit of touch-up painting etc this afternoon. No point bringing all the gear with me if I don’t then use it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Hope the photo was good enough for you to be able to check up on them (the boats that is, not your brother)!

I wish I’d had enough internet signal to read that yesterday evening. I would have done, although the sun was hiding most of the time. 
I perhaps met your brother last time I moored here, looking for the first yellow brimstones of the year. 

Is that true Grendel? If so, I’ll have to raid a charity shop to keep one on board😂

They say that about kerb appeal of houses as well. I looked those boats up online, a Cobra Futura. Seems you can multiple alternative layouts and designs. 

Thanks for the boat details - I just can't help being nosey!  Nice - but not my choice.  :default_coat:

Swallowtails are attracted to pink flowers, such as campion and the pink valerians - they have been seen nectaring on flowers placed on the gravestones.  Yes you may well have met my brother - he likes to see 'the first ones of any butterfly species' - I look and record butterflies but not with the same obsession!

I would also agree that that 'boat' would not be my choice of boat and the owner used to own a rather nice Broom woodie that appears on this forum quite regularly I believe!

If you want to see Swallowtails, stop at How Hill or wander over to the Weavers Way around Hickling Broad - walk to Potter Heigham church and pick up the Weavers Way across the fields

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

true as i sit here, I was on a wild mooring on the Ant, just up from How hill, wearing a red tee shirt, and this huge yellow butterfly came and landed on my shoulder, of course the camera was just out of reach, but it sat there for several minutes as I squinted at it trying to focus on my shoulder, then just flew away.

2 hours ago, LizG said:

If you want to see Swallowtails, stop at How Hill or wander over to the Weavers Way around Hickling Broad - walk to Potter Heigham church and pick up the Weavers Way across the fields

If it’s sunny on Thursday I’ll moor at wood end staithe and go to Catfield Fen. Failing that, if sunny on Friday I’ll drive to the walk round the weavers way that you mention, it’s a nice walk anyway, with or without butterflies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

Maybe the height of the boat is deceiving in the picture, but I couldn't help wonder how do you get off the bow to moor up?

There's another odd looking craft moored on the river near Acle Dyke that always has me wondering. I'm not sure whether it's just a super luxury modern houseboat, but if it's meant to move I wonder how you'd get off the bow of that one too. There are steps onto the roof but no gunwales (gunnels) that I could see.