Sky Box & Dish

Another 2ft added to the airdraft for the dish?  Not sure that it’s a feasible plan, not to mention being able to point it in exactly the correct direction for best reception.  Many new hire craft have Tracvision (or similar) fitted, but as far as I’m aware, they don’t offer Sky reception, which is a subscription service and can cost a great deal per month.

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/kvh-tv1-trackvision-marine-satellite-tv-system/p12991?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkruVBhCHARIsACVIiOwJC2aJ1fODQadhv8DozGNYybtxHmBTFdHmJchXDx99OfP8a57gzOkaAlBFEALw_wcB

Yes it's quite a simple thing to do really but  really isn't worth the effort in my opinion. I remember Clive telling us a while back that now everything has gone digital he'd stopped installing free sat on the boats he Was building at Stalham. Apart from the comedy value of watching ppl panicking as they approached a low bridge with the dish still up or even blaming the dish for running aground on Breydon ( why not we've blamed just about everything else ) 😉 what's the point ?? sit back and enjoy the peace and quiet. Well that's until someone fires up there heating or engine after hours. Blimey could you just imagine the hours of debate and gurning a sky dish on a boat would create 😉😉😉 seriously you've paid for a holiday afloat pretty much in the middle of nowhere, enjoy it, your soon be back to all the madness.

• Like 2

A smart TV or Amazon Fire stick in a normal telly would be easier than the Sky dish/box combo these days I would imagine.

I use my phone or tablet when required as space is currently limited due to the interior of my boat being somewhat dismantled but I may get a proper telly once it's done. 

I have to say the tv onboard golden bridge is a very nice JVC small flat screen unit. The picture quality was exceptional for a hire craft. But we only ever watched the chase and news. I count myself lucky as my wife really doesn't watch the soaps. She says being a nurse she gets to see enough doom and gloom and drama everyday at work..each to there own but why would you want to watch such dross whilst sitting in such wonderful surroundings. Looking out the window will provide yo with ten times more enjoyment. Your never see anything until you look...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

You can get something like a Chromecast or Amazon Fire stick to stream from your device to a TV, via an HDMI port.

Thanks, I had been told it isn't possible to stream from sky go, I did try with a chromecast without success.

The onboard tv has netflix preloaded but I can't get Prime to load. I might need a more smart tv :default_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Thanks, I had been told it isn't possible to stream from sky go, I did try with a chromecast without success.

The onboard tv has netflix preloaded but I can't get Prime to load. I might need a more smart tv :default_biggrin:

Good point - I'm not 100% sure about Sky Go. But An Amazon Fire stick surely would stream Prime ?

• Like 1

There are a number of ways of watching Sky on a boat or in a caravan. To do so you need a sky subscription or a generous friend or family member who will allow you to log on to their SkyGo

Traditionally Sky is delivered via satellite with signals received via a dish and receiver, properly called an LNB which are then decoded by a set top box containing a viewing card, a type of SIM or Subscriber Identification Module which decrypts paid content. Some important things to note

Sky no longer support "Freesat from Sky", only subscriber contracts

Sky is not available via third party dishes, it requires a specific LNB supplied by Sky 

Sky only support the provision of TV at the contracted address, not in caravans and boats

So to use Sky via a dish and box you would need a subscription, a Q TV box, viewing card and genuine Sky Q dish. The dish needs to be anchored to a solid object this could be a pole or a tripod etc and placed on solid ground, the movement of a boat even when moored will cause it to constantly drop signal. Most people I know who go down this route have bought a second hand dish from ebay or gumtree etc and then unplug and take their home Q box with them. Once set up this will work fine, there is no requirement for Q TV boxes to be connected to a phone line as was the case with the old Sky+ box. Remember you would need internet access, either via marina wifi or decent 4 or 5G to watch on demand and catch up content. 

Sky's latest product is Glass, a new kind of TV which is a 100% streaming device. It is UHD, Dolby Atmos compliant and has Sky TV built in. It is a subscription device so you still have to sign up to whichever Sky package you want and can then either pay for the device upfront, or monthly on your contract in the same way as a phone handset. The downside to this is that currently the smallest Glass TV is 45 inches, probably too large for most boats and caravans and if you have no internet connection then no TV

Perhaps the most sensible option is Sky Go, an app offered by Sky to all of it's TV subscribers which allows them to watch their subscribed Sky (including movies and sport if paid for) content on a mobile, tablet or laptop / computer. Sky are very careful to block the casting or mirroring of Sky Go to televisions in order to prevent it being used as a back door multiscreen option. Even if you connect your device to a TV via an HDMI cable your Sky Go will not work. Don't think that an Android TV is the answer, older ones will let you install Sky Go but it will error when you try and use it. Newer ones will not have Sky Go in their download libraries. The way to go here is to forget the TV altogether, the age of the TV has come, and gone. Instead use an all in one PC, for the price of a half decent TV you can buy an entry level all in one PC many of which have an antenna input and TV software installed, if not then it can be added via a USB stick for the price of a couple of Starbucks Lattes. This then allows you to watch live tv via freeview as long as you have a signal and apps such as Sky Go, Netflix, Prime Video etc as long as you have an internet connection. In addition you can use it to browse the web, face call on teams etc, edit photos, post to NBN. The downside to this is most of these devices require a mains supply, no 12v option.

Remember if you get your 4 or 5G via a Sky sim then the data used on Sky Apps including Sky Go does not count towards your data allowance it is totally free. You can add a USB Mifi dongle, or a more advanced mobile router. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, grendel said:

just a thought, will it allow the use of a TV as a laptop monitor, I use a 32" TV for my work and home computers as a monitor connected via HDMI, so would think it should play sky go via the second screen / duplicate option

Yes it does I have used that option on a number of occasions on a 2nd TV at home when we want different programes

Fred

• Thanks 1