Newbie Saying Hello.

RogF

Good day all.  My wife and I will hopefully be taking ownership of a Viking, tomorrow in Wroxham. Bought Via NBS. It will be named Lazuli. Although at present it is La Dolce Rita. How long that will take depends on finding the 16 Virgins that apparently are needed in any renaming ceremony..  :default_dry:

We have little experience, the odd canal holiday years ago. The boat is only 10 months old with just 10 hours on the clock. So we will be able to personalise it quite easily.  ( what is this I read about a NBN flag?.) 

It will be moored at South Walsham, Bondons Mooring.  

We are thinking that our first trip will be up the Ant to Wayford Bridge, any advice on that?  

Thanks and happy days

Roger & Margaret

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RogF said:

How long that will take depends on finding the 16 Virgins that apparently are needed in any renaming ceremony.. 

And when joining this forum, a sense of humour is essential!

I also rather doubt that you will find the necessary virgins anywhere north of Ludham bridge in August. Most of them will have ended up working for Richardsons at weekends.  And that is not a fate worse than death, as I remember . . . .

For a first trip I would go up river to somewhere like Salhouse. I only say that because if you have to hold station for a while in a bit of cross wind at Ludham Bridge it might be a bit of a test first time out, The Ant is also quite narrow. I would stick to the wide River Bure and really get the feel of how she handles.

• Like 1

Good luck with your new boat I hope all goes well. I looked at the boat and it is as new. I don't know how many petrol tanks it has on board but if its only 1 then it is worth investing in another. It gives you an extended cruising range and peace of mind knowing you have a second tank to fall back on. I've had a couple of Vikings in the past so although my knowledge is limited fell free to ask if you are stuck. 

Well a big thank you all.

Chris I will rework the planed trip and take your advice..

Second fuel tank..  sounds a plan to me.  I think the one onboard is 15lts?

Actually same with gas cylinder, only a small one.  Wish I knew the type of gas and valve fitting I would bring one from home.

Humour is my middle name, got me in trouble a few times.// :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Glad to hear you are having second thoughts about going under Ludham Bridge for your first trip. Even if it’s not windy it can be a bit of a trial this time of the year, so it helps if you are familiar with how your boat handles. Last year, late June, we were behind a boat that paused just on the bend before the bridge,. They had to remove several bicycles off the top of the boat before going through. Meanwhile we had to hold station whilst a queue of the boats built up behind us, getting closer and closer. I was very glad that we were familiar with our boat and that it wasn’t breezy!

• Like 1

TBH, I have been a bit of a pain asking questions about this and that..  I suppose that they are a broker not the actual seller?

Do you think that type of gas and fittings is common to all boats.  I remember it is blue but not dark or light blue. Screw fitting, male or female or even the top connector type..  So may alternatives.  But there as it has only done 10 hours, must be a fair bit of gas left??

Regarding the 240v hook up. If I am correct you only have 1 leisure battery and a starter battery. Depending on what electrical equipment you will be using the 1 leisure battery won't last long with the fridge and some lighting. If you moor up at an electric post and plug the boat in you can charge up the batteries and use the 3 pin plug sockets without worrying about the charge left on your battery. (TV, toaster etc)  I'm not familiar with an inverter and how they work but I'm sure someone will explain about them. I hope this makes sense and helps

• Like 1

We have 240v on our syndicate boat, so we can plug into electric on our home mooring and don’t have to worry about the fridge etc. draining batteries if the boat is left vacant for any time.

As we have 4 weeks allocation each year, one for each season, being able to plug into electric posts around the Broads means that we can be toasty during those cold nights in the autumn/winter /early spring months. The boat does have the usual diesel heating, but we prefer not to have that running much. It’s a bit noisy for a start and eats up the diesel and we wouldn’t like to run it at night. We have a couple of little dimplex heaters that we use overnight on a low setting during the colder months. We love being on the Broads during the off season as the rivers are so quiet, and it’s a bonus that we don’t have to put up with chilly nights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RogF said:

Deary me, more questions..

Relatively new boat, designed for 12v use.  So why would I need a 240V hook up?

Oh and anyone fitted a wind turbine to keep batteries ticking over??

R&M

It all depends what you want from your boat, plenty of boats have no 240v hook up, no fridge or heating and I know of one person who was disappointed with the input of a wind turbine. If you do have a fridge you can always switch it off and leave the door open whilst away.

Hi Roger, from Kate.
If my experience of buying a boat last year is anything to go by, you are in for a lot of fun, along with some minor worry. Just make sure the fun outwits the worry. I’ve decided that anything and everything on a boat is sortable, they are simple beasts, so you just tick the worries off one by one and enjoy the cruising in between! 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2022 at 15:07, ChrisB said:

For a first trip I would go up river to somewhere like Salhouse. I only say that because if you have to hold station for a while in a bit of cross wind at Ludham Bridge it might be a bit of a test first time out, The Ant is also quite narrow. I would stick to the wide River Bure and really get the feel of how she handles.

Our actual first trip will be Wroxham to S. Walsham to our moorings, so we will pass Salhouse. 

Any other easier trips, going right 

10 hours ago, kpnut said:

Hi Roger, from Kate.
If my experience of buying a boat last year is anything to go by, you are in for a lot of fun, along with some minor worry. Just make sure the fun outwits the worry. I’ve decided that anything and everything on a boat is sortable, they are simple beasts, so you just tick the worries off one by one and enjoy the cruising in between! 

Thanks Kate.  Have to say the help from all of you has really made my day. Also I do have to give all the staff at NBS a thank you.

Arriving at Wroxham around 12 tomorrow to take her over...  I will say with some trepidation, can I put learner plates on it???

• Haha 1

Another question to all.  How easy is it to find a mooring where you want to be and if hook up how do you pay.?

Oh and when you see a sign saying no hire boats beyond this point, does that mean private owners as well?

R&M

finding a mooring where you want, put it this way, have a plan B and a plan c , the popular moorings frequently fill up quickly, and even if you have only just set sail, if there is a mooring at horning staithe, you have to go for it, as it may be the only time you manage it. hookups at broads authority moorings take a card, these cost around £1 (been a while since i bought one) and can be obtained at the broads authority HQ, some shops have them, and the rangers have them if you see them, the BA office at ranworth has them too. (i  am sure others will chip in with other places they can be obtained.

pubs with hookup, you will probably have to go in to pay, some pubs charge for moorings too.

oulton broad and beccles have their own systems, beccles has different cards, oulton broad you pay more to use the hookup

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grendel said:

finding a mooring where you want, put it this way, have a plan B and a plan c , the popular moorings frequently fill up quickly, and even if you have only just set sail, if there is a mooring at horning staithe, you have to go for it, as it may be the only time you manage it. hookups at broads authority moorings take a card, these cost around £1 (been a while since i bought one) and can be obtained at the broads authority HQ, some shops have them, and the rangers have them if you see them, the BA office at ranworth has them too. (i  am sure others will chip in with other places they can be obtained.

pubs with hookup, you will probably have to go in to pay, some pubs charge for moorings too.

oulton broad and beccles have their own systems, beccles has different cards, oulton broad you pay more to use the hookup

I don't even have a plan A at the moment... :default_sailing: