Hosepipe Bans

kpnut

Just a query. If and when the Norfolk area has a hosepipe ban put in place, how do we go about filling the boat water tanks? In the past, has there been an exemption for things like that? Hoping experienced boaters will know the answer, thanks. 

Not just the hopepipes at public moorings, but at the yards where private owners fill up next to their own mooring using a privately owned hosereel. 

We do finally have some rain in tomorrow’s forecast. I don’t think we’ve had anything more than a few drops for weeks. My water butts are empty. 

I heard an interview with Anglian Water last week. They didn’t sound concerned. Given this is always such a dry part of the country they manage their water well. They have three different sources in terms of reservoirs, rivers and aquifers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwanR said:

We do finally have some rain in tomorrow’s forecast. I no don’t think we’ve had anything more than a few drops for weeks. My water butts are empty. 

I heard an interview with Anglian Water last week. They didn’t sound concerned. Given this is always such a dry part of the country they manage their water well. They have three different sources in terms of reservoirs, rivers and aquifers. 

They are running  a pipeline  from Lincoln, which they think would  improve  water supplies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Just a query. If and when the Norfolk area has a hosepipe ban put in place, how do we go about filling the boat water tanks? In the past, has there been an exemption for things like that? Hoping experienced boaters will know the answer, thanks. 

Not just the hopepipes at public moorings, but at the yards where private owners fill up next to their own mooring using a privately owned hosereel. 

Isnt a hosepipe ban just for watering gardens, the washing of vehicles and such like.

• Like 2

Thanks to all.

4 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Isnt a hosepipe ban just for watering gardens, the washing of vehicles and such like.

Ah, so presumably it’s the watering/cleaning aspect that’s banned, not the actual use of the hosepipe. So filling a tank for drinking water would be ok. Maybe the term ‘hosepipe ban’ should be changed!

Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Isnt a hosepipe ban just for watering gardens and the washing of vehicles.

Yes a hosepipe ban is the banning of the use of a hosepipe for certain non essential functions, NOT an outright ban on using hosepipes.

1. Watering the garden

2. Washing your car.

3. Filling or maintaining an ornamental pond or water feature.

4. Filling or maintaining a domestic swimming pool or paddling pool.

5. Cleaning the outside of your house.

I would imagine filling a boat tank for the purposes of drinking or washing yourself would be totally exempt from any hose pipe ban.

Although exempt or not using a hose pipe to wash your boat should be frowned upon regardless during a drought. I guess one or two hire yards this year already seem to be conserving water by not washing boats. :default_coat: 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Thanks to all.

Ah, so presumably it’s the watering/cleaning aspect that’s banned, not the actual use of the hosepipe. So filling a tank for drinking water would be ok. Maybe the term ‘hosepipe ban’ should be changed!

Thanks. 

I would think allotments growing food would be exempt. Dont want council wardens turning up with moisture probes now do you.

9 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I would think allotments growing food would be exempt. Dont want council wardens turning up with moisture probes now do you.

And you would think wrongly. During a hosepipe ban it is not illegal to water your plants, or even wash your car, you just cannot use a hose to do so. You must use a watering can to water plants, there is no distinction on the type of plant, and also a bucket to wash your car, although such use might be frowned upon, it is not illegal.

When it comes to watering plants, it is far better to do so in the evening when the plants get a chance to have a drink before the sun evaporates it.

• Like 1

I agree that an essential use of water would also be to water veg in the garden.     Here near to Beccles we have had a few heavy showers of rain over the last few weeks even so the lawn is lovely shade of golden brown with the odd touch of green here and there.     You cannot let fish die in a pond.     I think the mentioning of conserving water is for those who do not have enough of a net between the ears to think for themselves.   I will tell a tale.   Back in 1976 or whenever it was that we had the last 'drought' (by the way in some parts of India its doesn't rain for 5 years),   my then brother-in-law decided to run a hose from his house to his allotment which was directly behind the house.    Now not being that bright and I am being polite here, the dozy whatsit went off to bed and left the hose running.    Surprise surprise in the morning when they woke up , no water in the taps,   the Water Board had turned them off.   My sister in law nearly annihilated him.   Kids had to go to school , she had to go to work, and no water.

A pal of mine who I write to in Kent tells me her neighbour has a sprinkler going night and day in his garden.  I enquired as to whether or not he was on a meter and she said yes.   I replied must have deep pockets.    My point in mentioning this, is, if you are on a meter,  can you still use the water?   Remember Water Companies are there to make a profit.

7 minutes ago, Hylander said:

My point in mentioning this, is, if you are on a meter,  can you still use the water?   Remember Water Companies are there to make a profit.

No, a hose pipe ban is a hose pipe ban regardless of how much money you have to waste, or whether you have a meter or not. The only people allowed to waste water in this country and they do it on a vast scale are the water companies themselves!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I would think allotments growing food would be exempt.

No, I know you can't use a hosepipe to water allotments during a hosepipe ban unless growing food on a commercial basis, which most allotment sites don't allow anyway.

Our allotment site doesn't allow hosepipes at any time, so its just watering cans for us. It certainly concentrates the mind and encourages sensible watering. Most veg plants don't need anything like the amount they are given, only at sensitive periods of growth like flowering of peas and beans. The meaner you normally are, the deeper they put their roots to their benefit.

And watering into milk bottles with the bottoms cut off and dug into the ground and the like, means any water you do put in goes to where its needed rather than just wetting the surface for the water to be soon evaporated by the warmth/wind. And as Meantime says, early morning or evening are the best times to water.

Sprinklers use enormous amounts of water and waste most of it. As regards using a hosepipe/sprinkler when on a water meter, it would be very easy for water companies to spot excessive use through the meter. Mind you, you'd think the same would apply to their own leaks going through their pipes. But little seems to be done about those.

And if coming in from sea it's still fine to hose the boat down to get the salt off as it's a safety issue, a fine dusting of salt leaves everything very slippery.

Hosepipes would still be out in marinas and at water points as it's domestic use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our allotments don’t allow hoses either. I doubt if any do nowadays.

Before going on holiday week before last I put out an appeal on our allotment WhatsApp group and a couple of my lovely allotment neighbours ensured that my plot was watered whilst I was away. 

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, kpnut said:

No, I know you can't use a hosepipe to water allotments during a hosepipe ban unless growing food on a commercial basis, which most allotment sites don't allow anyway.

Our allotment site doesn't allow hosepipes at any time, so its just watering cans for us. It certainly concentrates the mind and encourages sensible watering. 

Can you tell Im not a gardener nor a veg grower. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kpnut said:

. . . . . . . . . . Mind you, you'd think the same would apply to their own leaks going through their pipes. But little seems to be done about those.

Agreed!  There’s been water bubbling up through the road surface a few yards up the road that our cul-de-sac turns off.  It’s been reported to Anglian Water at least three times on their website, who initially tried to say that it wasn’t from their pipe work.  (Must have been a gas pipe leaking then! 😡).  Eventually they put a notice up saying they were aware on 6th June and declared that it had been repaired on their website, which it was patently obvious to anyone passing that it hadn’t been.  I noticed yesterday that they’d set up temporary traffic lights and were digging a hole to repair the leak.

Their motto is ‘Love Every Drop.’  It’s a shame that they don’t share the love themselves!

Photos taken on 6th July to show what they originally claimed wasn’t a water leak!

E460B455-A62D-46AE-B001-8F8773D281AB.jpeg

F4794D05-57EA-4B8E-A672-3726C88CAE80.jpeg

• Sad 1

my parents used to bury a 3 foot pipe at least a foot into the ground, angled under the row of plants and at 3 foot intervals, this then had the advantage that the roots were watered, and that the hole to pour into was at a reasonable distance above ground, saving the need to bend.

• Love 1

There’s an article on BBC news website reporting that Anglian water are saying there won’t be a hosepipe ban.

By the way, my Mam occasionally used to mispronounce Anglian Water as Anglican Water. Holy water? 

• Haha 1