Richardsons Checking In

andyg

Well two weeks to go for our long awaited trip on broadsman. I've been itching to try these boats since Clive launched them. I've had confirmation from richo that they are maintaining there covid checking in procedures. Has anyone experienced this ? How did it work ? We have a 1pm slot so reasonably early so hoping to be away by 2pm. Stephanie at Bridgecraft runs a similar set up and it worked really well,much better then the normal free for all. 

• oldgregg changed the title to Richardsons Checking In
43 minutes ago, andyg said:

I've had confirmation from richo that they are maintaining there covid checking in procedures. Has anyone experienced this ? How did it work ? We have a 1pm slot so reasonably early so hoping to be away by 2pm. 

It's not too bad - You sit in a queue in your cars and get seen in turn. I've been a couple of times during covid and it worked reasonably well.

If you're too early for your arrival slot and there are cars queuing for the earlier (ie Platinum fleet) slot then you're asked to park up and join the queue later.

Once you're used to it, it's not too bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It's not too bad - You sit in a queue in your cars and get seen in turn. I've been a couple of times during covid and it worked reasonably well.

If you're too early for your arrival slot and there are cars queuing for the earlier (ie Platinum fleet) slot then you're asked to park up and join the queue later.

Once you're used to it, it's not too bad.

Thanks 😊

1 hour ago, andyg said:

No it's my phone it does it all the time. Some are quite funny. 

A combination of fat fingers and dyslexic thumbs isn’t much of a help when trying to type a message on a smartphone keypad, but I have to agree, some of the ‘spelling corrections’ are amusing.  Every time I type the name Colin on mine, it changes it to colon!

If your name’s Colin and and you get a message from me, you’ll know why your name’s wrong!! 😁

I’ll be interested to hear about your checking in procedure , haven’t heard anything from Richardson yet only a time of 1pm on the original booking conformation, we’ll be picking up swan rapture in 4 weeks, already packing essentials- sharp knife , frying pan with lid etc

We’ve done this a couple of times. Quick and easy. Two lanes of cars. The staff radio to the quay to see if your boat is ready. Presuming it is, you get directed to park behind your boat and stay in the car. Your handover person appears, takes you on board and around the boat. Then onto the river for your trial run. Moor up back at the yard. Sign the paperwork. Then you’re left to your own devices. Unload the car, re-park it, leave the yard when you’re ready. Simples! :)

• Like 2

Like I've said we are hiring broadsman for a long weekend this Sept, I'm absolutely gob smacked to discover that they still have availability of this class for the same date and the price has increased by over 500 pounds since I booked our boat. That's absolutely outrageous in my opinion. If you know anything about the platinum fleet at richardsons your know that they sell out year after year. I wonder why they still have some of there best performing boats available 🤔 ummm let me guess. That's just utter greed, ridiculous. It's the 1st time I've noticed richardsons increasing prices like this. A few other things I've noticed I don't like as well since a certain person left Stalham. Ummm.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 13:17, Tractorted said:

I’ll be interested to hear about your checking in procedure , haven’t heard anything from Richardson yet only a time of 1pm on the original booking conformation, we’ll be picking up swan rapture in 4 weeks, already packing essentials- sharp knife , frying pan with lid etc

I called them re a request we had and they confirmed over the phone. Only one person allowed onboard while hand over and trial run is done. Pretty much the same as most yards are doing. It's a much better way of doing things then the normal free for all. Rapture is a nice boat enjoy your holiday. 

2 hours ago, andyg said:

Like I've said we are hiring broadsman for a long weekend this Sept, I'm absolutely gob smacked to discover that they still have availability of this class for the same date and the price has increased by over 500 pounds since I booked our boat. That's absolutely outrageous in my opinion. If you know anything about the platinum fleet at richardsons your know that they sell out year after year. I wonder why they still have some of there best performing boats available 🤔 ummm let me guess. That's just utter greed, ridiculous. It's the 1st time I've noticed richardsons increasing prices like this. A few other things I've noticed I don't like as well since a certain person left Stalham. Ummm.

I agree it has never been the same since.   Has lost that nice cosy family feeling that it used to have where nothing was too much trouble.

54 minutes ago, andyg said:

Only one person allowed onboard while hand over and trial run is done.

That's over the top considering everything else is pretty much back to normal, even face to face doctors appointments without masks are happening (in my local surgery anyway).

24 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That's over the top considering everything else is pretty much back to normal, even face to face doctors appointments without masks are happening (in my local surgery anyway).

Your very lucky re doctor's, no I don't agree,its a much quicker way of doing things. Don't forget richardsons have a duty of care for there employees so minimising contact can only be a good thing. Plus it really isn't a big drama, well I don't think so. 

48 minutes ago, SwanR said:

That was not the case. We were both onboard on both occasions where we’ve hired since the pandemic. 

Oh OK, I'm just repeating what they told me. I know it wasn't the case with herbert woods and I'm sure we were both onboard at Bridgecraft when being shown the ropes. But it's a group of 5 this time so no idea if that changes things. Either way I'm not bothered tbh, As long as were afloat. 

• Like 1

I agree with that. After our first time handover at Ferry Marina I remembered some things we had been told and Graham remembered other things, so between us we were fine. This is bearing in mind that we got a very light touch handover compared to what the full instruction would be -  given we'd told them we'd sailed on the Broads previously and that Graham was used to handling motor boats. I'd hate to have to feel it was down to me to remember every little thing and for it to be the first time I'd handled a boat. 

• Like 2

I absolutely agree with folk about the hand over, but I don't see it as a make or break  issue. If the crew make up is a couple and 2 young children then 99% of the time it's the husband that's shown the ropes very few teenagers will want to stand listening either. As a couple I'd see no point in just one of us aboard as we'd travelled x amount of hours in the same car so as far as covid is concerned totally pointless to separate us. I have no issues with this policy whatsoever. I was just repeating what the lady at richardsons told me. 

And I don't disagree, good luck with that one tho. Take a look at herbert woods web cam on turnaround days. The kidds are all playing on the quay whilst handovers are being done and rightly so in my opinion. The children's safety whilst afloat is a parental issue, the hire companies already give out enough safety advise etc. As a child I don't ever remember taking part in the handover apart from being shown and told about our life jackets. But we're getting away from my op I'm not getting into the right and wrongs etc.