Lads Week 2022

grendel

Well today's  the last full day, I woke with a developing bruise and a stiff leg. We sailed from the new Inn, and down to Ranworth, where there was plenty of space, moored up and fishing was the order of the day. I chatted to some people, and we all had a relaxing few hours.

2pm, and we set off again for womak, and the Kings head later for our end of week meal. Yet another day when nothing broke aboard the hire  boats, we have had more days without breakdowns and issues than not, remember when a boat is out week after week, its down to the hirer reporting issues to get them fixed, and the service we have had has been excellent.  Things break down, and they are old boats, and have already had a hard season. None of the breakdowns has been a major issue, none have been predictable,  or  something that would have been picked up on turnaround unless the hirers reported an issue.

Talking to other  hirers they too have experienced issues, one needed a gearbox oil top up ( can't see how that would have been picked up at changeover, and a private boater next door to them said he hadn't changed his gearbox oil more than a few times in 15 years), they were happy with the yards response too. So let's steer away from all this the yard is rubbish thinking, preventative maintenance  can really only be done over winter, and the reactive maintenance is top notch, especially this far into a busy season

The point to take away is that if the issues are not reported to the yard, they can't fix them.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Well today's  the last full day, I woke with a developing bruise and a stiff leg. We sailed from the new Inn, and down to Ranworth, where there was plenty of space, moored up and fishing was the order of the day. I chatted to some people, and we all had a relaxing few hours.

2pm, and we set off again for womak, and the Kings head later for our end of week meal. Yet another day when nothing broke aboard the hire  boats, we have had more days without breakdowns and issues than not, remember when a boat is out week after week, its down to the hirer reporting issues to get them fixed, and the service we have had has been excellent.  Things break down, and they are old boats, and have already had a hard season. None of the breakdowns has been a major issue, none have been predictable,  or  something that would have been picked up on turnaround unless the hirers reported an issue.

Talking to other  hirers they too have experienced issues, one needed a gearbox oil top up ( can't see how that would have been picked up at changeover, and a private boater next door to them said he hadn't changed his gearbox oil more than a few times in 15 years), they were happy with the yards response too. So let's steer away from all this the yard is rubbish thinking, preventative maintenance  can really only be done over winter, and the reactive maintenance is top notch, especially this far into a busy season

The point to take away is that if the issues are not reported to the yard, they can't fix them.

:default_drinks:  Have a brilliant last night, but be careful, - the waters quite cold this time of the year!

• Haha 1

The  meal out at the Kings head was good, they even do doggy meals so Purdey had roast beef and  veg (£3 for a dog meal served in a bowl with a side serving of gravy).

Early start for the ba crew, 6 am departure for Sutton and a pump out (they didn't open until after 9, so we finished up the bacon and eggs in bacon and egg butties). Then round to the wet shed, pack up and head home.

• Like 5

The Kings Head. Go there on a regular basis. The carvery, one of the best in Norfolk. Beef supplied by the renown butchers of Ludham. Most importantly two types of beef. Topside and Rib of Beef, rib being one of the finest cuts which you will ever experience, not over done of course, a bit of pink here and there. And of course a "doggy bag" for those, like me, with a physique like that of a racing snake, slim, honed. A bit of a tum "in fair round belly with good capon lin’d" as Shakespeare would say. For me, to all of my family.....all the more to love.

However in these austere times the Dog Bowl sounds good for three quid. bit of beef, some greens, lashings of gravy and served in a bowl! What more could you wish for. 

I can feel a forum meet coming on at Womack. Wonderful moorings, we could all huddle up. 

With our bowls.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wussername said:

A bit of a tum "in fair round belly with good capon lin’d" as Shakespeare would say.

I never thought of you as Falstaff but the doggie menu sounds good to me!  Especially as our last efforts at barbecue sausage on a forum meet, had to be thrown in the broad before our wives saw them!

The King's Arms has always been a great pub.  In "my day" in Ludham it was known as the Queen's Legs.  It was pretty well the registered office of the Wherry Trust, at the time!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

I can feel a forum meet coming on at Womack. Wonderful moorings, we could all huddle up. 

With our bowls.

What a brilliant idea.

I was very impressed with the Carvery too. No wonder the meat was so good if it came from Ludham butchers. Good to see local businesses supporting each other. 

So despite managing to not fall overboard when I slipped, I have damaged my  leg, its just a bit bruised, the bruises haven't quite joined up yet, the bit between them is yellow, suggesting the colour may come out still. Always remember, one hand for yourself, as without that I would more than likely have ended up in the water.

20221019_125901.jpg

20221019_125910.jpg

20221019_125935.jpg

• Sad 6

52 minutes ago, grendel said:

The pictures don't show the bruises as bad as they really appear. I am just grateful I was holding on.

They look bad enough thank you very much :default_biggrin: I'm just glad you didn't go overboard.

You take care, hope they heal quickly x

• Like 1