Lads Week 2022

grendel

15 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Sorry, but no.

Oil change every 200 hours but the impeller?  Every 5 weeks, in the season?  Definitely not.

If an impeller is taken out in the winter, refitted in spring  and properly greased, it will last 4 or 5 years.  It will only be damaged by impurities in the water (bad filtration) or being run dry by lack of water (blocked filtration).  Both of these are nothing to do with either preventive, or routine, maintenance.  They are unforeseen breakdowns.

Some yards change impellers every spring as a routine, others see no need to.  I am in the second camp, on that one. 

Sorry, but yes.

Taken from Jabsco's website. I like the bit where they recommend preventative, rather than corrective maintenance. I think that fair and squarely hits the nail on the head.

Jabsco flexible impellers are subjected to rigorous quality processes to ensure reliable, efficient and long lasting performance.

You should replace your flexible pump impellers at least once every year or sooner depending on use. When the installation is correct an impeller may last for several years, but it is always advisable to stick to a schedule of preventative rather than corrective maintenance.

I repeat that Nanni recommend every 200 hrs or annually.

14 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Sorry, but yes.

Taken from Jabsco's website. I like the bit where they recommend preventative, rather than corrective maintenance. I think that fair and squarely hits the nail on the head.

Jabsco flexible impellers are subjected to rigorous quality processes to ensure reliable, efficient and long lasting performance.

You should replace your flexible pump impellers at least once every year or sooner depending on use. When the installation is correct an impeller may last for several years, but it is always advisable to stick to a schedule of preventative rather than corrective maintenance.

Yes MT but £30 odd quid is a lot of money 😳

Much better to have an engineer called out with the risk of a cooked engine and someone's holiday ruined 🤣

Which is why I change mine annually and compare it with my current used spare and keep the best one as an emergency replacement should it be needed, which to date it hasn't.

I realise my mistake though. Instead of throwing the old prefectly servicable one away, I should be selling them to a boat yard for a tenner. They would get another 3 or 4 years use out of them! :default_icon_eek:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilB said:

To be pedantic the Nanni service manual actually states "Check the raw water pump impeller. Change if needed"

https://www.peachment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/User-Manual-N2.10-N2.14-N3.21-NEW-VERSION-Aug-13.pdf

I guess it depends on which Nanni manual you look at, or which engine you have. Mine is definitely change every 200 hrs or each year. Which mirrors the info given by Jabsco who make the pump that is on my Nanni engine.

My impellor is the Jabsco 1210-0001-B which I think is quite a common one. I always buy kit which comes with the replacement gasket and lube as well.

17 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Mine is definitely change every 200 hrs or each year.

Well change it then. No-one is suggesting you shouldn't.

Those of us who have used (and helped develop) these engines and their ancillary parts for the last 25 years or more and have "ironed out" the original problems that we found in practice, have come to know what the Nanni "will take" and what it won't.

39 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Yes MT but £30 odd quid is a lot of money 😳

Especially if you decide to change it 5 times a year instead of an average 3 years, on a fleet of 450 hire boats.

41 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Much better to have an engineer called out with the risk of a cooked engine and someone's holiday ruined 🤣

I have already warned on this thread that a remark like that should not be voiced on this forum, as it can easily be considered libellous.

Someone else has already advised never to buy a secondhand boat from Herbert Woods.  If Woods were to lose a sale because of that, and could prove the allegation to be untrue and therefore libel, it could close down this forum.

Please stop indulging in this ill-informed "chasse aux sorcières" and consider what you are actually alleging.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well change it then. No-one is suggesting you shouldn't.

I do because having spent a not inconsiderable sum on moorings, insurance, boat toll, annual servicing etc. I consider that following the manufacturers recommendations and changing the impellor annually gives me peace of mind, reduces my risk of a breakdown when I actually want to enjoy the boat and is money well spent. £30 is spare change compared to the other annual costs of owning a boat. On the other hand if I'd spent a not inconsiderable amount of money on hiring a boat, I'd expect it to be maintained and reliable with proper preventative maintenance completed. That surely is not too much to expect? 

• Like 1

I'm sorry but personally I think this has gone too far. I don't understand the half of it if I'm honest so I leave it to the guys that know, the one's that work with boats, fix them when they're broke, run boat yards which some on here have all their adult lives.

I just would like to say that all the times we've had a problem with our hire boats, mainly with the big guns in the North, one phone call and they are on it just as soon as they can get there, always no trouble, respectful and will do everything in their power to rectify the problems. One engineer even presented me with a bottle of wine in way of an apology

Sorry, I just had to stick my oar in :default_biggrin:

Anyway, I hope the Lads (reprobates :default_biggrin:) are having a great last couple of days x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Boats break down , especially at the end of a long season , we have seen ALL hire yards attend to holiday makers throughout the year often on more than one occasion ; in this instance the response from HW has been quick and efficient and has not it seems detracted from “The Lads” enjoyment at all .

The Lads Week write ups are always enjoyable and interesting threads , can I politely request that fellow members allow this tread to continue to be so and set aside any differences on this public forum.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, gancanny said:

talk about thread drift !!!!!!,   what a load of rubbish,   this has just turned into a pile of in-house bickering

Thanks  that’s what I was thinking !!! 

Seems to be the norm on here at the min 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Meantime said:

A good insight to that is A Broad Experience written by Robin Godber. At least it is seasonal. There are those of us who have read that book and do have some idea.

And others of us in the business who have read it and reserve our own opinion! 

I feel since you have quoted me, that I should reply. I found it a very enlightening and entertaining read.

Now as the Chairmen has spoken, can we leave it there and let this thread get back to the subject of the Lads week. I wonder which hostelry in Wroxham they are :default_drinks: in tonight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to know about the crew following them around for the crew breakdowns, you can't have that many old geezers in boats and not have a few mishaps.....

"Hello Herbert Woods, our boat is making strange creaking and groaning noises!"

" No Mr. Griffin, that's the crew you are hearing..."

:default_biggrin:

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Meantime said:

Sorry, but yes.

Nothing like the manufacturer recommending you spend more money with them on a regular basis, just because they want your money doesn’t mean you have to give it to them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tobster said:

Nothing like the manufacturer recommending you spend more money with them on a regular basis, just because they want your money doesn’t mean you have to give it to them.

Sorry Mr Chairman, :default_icon_redface:

Isn't all preventative maintenance, or regular maintenance about spending money before you really need to? or before it leads to something more major? How much good oil have I thrown in the recycling tank because I change it hopefully well before it stops protecting the engine? How many fuel filters have I changed that had no diesel bug, or no contaminants worth changing the filter for? How many oil filters have I changed that may have lasted another two years?  

• Like 2

Thursday, front gayes Staithes, we departed, and made our way to Wroxham, while mooring here I missed my footing fending off and came close to a man overboard situation, fortunately I had one hand for myself and managed to just drop to one knee, with one leg scraping down the outside of the boat. here we did some shopping, and then headed back downriver to the new Inn.

This evening we took part in their quiz, with one team winning and two coming third.

No issues with any boat today.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I want to know about the crew following them around for the crew breakdowns, you can't have that many old geezers in boats and not have a few mishaps.....

"Hello Herbert Woods, our boat is making strange creaking and groaning noises!"

" No Mr. Griffin, that's the crew you are hearing..."

:default_biggrin:

Personally,  I want a bit more clarification on the crew member that fell while disembarking the nurse - or have I got two parts of the story mixed up ?

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Personally,  I want a bit more clarification on the crew member that fell while disembarking the nurse - or have I got two parts of the story mixed up ?

That was one of our members that uses a walking stick, he tried to use the metal hoop on the emergency ladder as a support while disembarking, and it shifted as he put his weight on it, causing him to lose his balance, all is well now and he has recovered.

My slip was because I stood on the toe rail and my foot slipped,  and just emphasises the phrase one hand for yourself, and one for the ship.

• Like 2