Charter Is The New Hire

Cheesey69

1 hour ago, CeePee1952 said:

there were barriers across where that sign roughly is and then at 1p.m. there were a few cars parked up in the three lanes (reminiscent of a ferry terminal but obviously on a much smaller scale!) and the barriers were removed. There were three ladies checking the cars and then telling them if their boat was ready and where to go.

We've noticed that many places, not just boatyards, have kept the changes to checkin that they brought in post Covid. It saves people having to park their car somewhere, queue in a reception building, and then retrieve their car to drive to their accommodation to unload. Works well both at Richardson's, Ferry Marina, and the Warner's hotels we've been to. Looks like it's here to stay ... for a while longer anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We've noticed that many places, not just boatyards, have kept the changes to checkin that they brought in post Covid. It saves people having to park their car somewhere, queue in a reception building, and then retrieve their car to drive to their accommodation to unload. Works well both at Richardson's, Ferry Marina, and the Warner's hotels we've been to. Looks like it's here to stay ... for a while longer anyway.

I’m sure that a lot of boatyards found several of the ‘Covid’ measures they brought in helpful. For instance, staggering check-ins. Seems like a no brainier now. 

25 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I agree about the enjoyment of ‘roughing it’, we have loved our trips on Hunter’s boats.

Even with camping though, there’s degrees of ‘roughing it’. I find the best memories are of the most ‘roughing it’ experiences.

My first camping experience was with my Venture Scout Unit. Graham was another Scout on that weekend, but it was before we started ‘going out with each other’, as was the phrase in the 70s. It featured a memorable night camped between the two lakes that are half way up Snowdon, on the route above Pen y Pass. It was very windy, and we were camped in a bowl below the peak. The wind seemed to have got trapped in the bowl and every few minutes a strong gust would hit our tents. Most of us were in ‘Force10’ tents, which fortunately stood up to their reputation, but one lad had brought his own tent which collapsed during the night, so he had to crawl into the tent Graham and another guy were in. None of us slept well, but it was certainly memorable! 

Brilliant memory! It's what I think of as an 'adventure' in true Famous 5 tradition.

(It was called "going out" when Gill and I started dating in the 70s too 😁)

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

From the photo it looks like a general check in point rather than something being used to differentiate more luxurious boats. I think we could get too hung up on the "charter" word, it just sounds posher than "hire" but in reality just means the same, so nothing more than choice of language.

They set up a two lane one-way check in road during Covid and have kept that set up (it works really well). The signs are just where you meet the first member of staff who gives you some basic information and tells you which quay you will find your boat - all in a 'drive-thru' style.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Most of us were in ‘Force10’ tents, which fortunately stood up to their reputation, but one lad had brought his own tent which collapsed during the night, so he had to crawl into the tent Graham and another guy were in. None of us slept well, but it was certainly memorable! 

Ah! The good ol' Force 10! Still used by many youth organisations. In fact, we are taking our year group on a camping residential trip in a month and, I suspect, Force 10s will be the order of the day!

As you say - memories! (I notice you didn't necessarily describe them as god memories though...)

Around 1966 there were " camping boats" for hire on the Grand Union canal. They were basically a flat bottomed punt with canvas covered poles forming a box like tent. Powered by outboard. 

My parents hired a narrow boat and I remember 4 young blokes having a great time in a camping boat at the same time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catcouk said:

As you say - memories! (I notice you didn't necessarily describe them as god memories though...)

Well, there were parts that were a bit challenging, but overall my memory of it was good. Maybe because it was the first time I’d spent much time with Graham.

The following day we were advised by our Scout leaders not to traverse Snowdon via the peak, due to the weather, but to go around it. That involved a hike down the Gwynant valley as far as the lake then walking along the road to Beddgelert camping site (a few miles beyond Beddgelert). It was one of those Snowdonia days of relentless rain. Unfortunately, some of our party hadn’t followed advice and protected their gear within their rucksacks with an extra plastic bin bag layer, so when we got to the camp site they found their sleeping bags were wet. Scout leaders phoned Snowdon Ranger Youth Hostel and we managed to get accommodated there. My first experience of youth hosteling, and not the last.

I doubt that Graham and I would have got into youth hosteling if it hadn’t been for that experience. A year or two later we had our first youth hosteling holiday as a couples walking the South Downs. Another precious memory. When Harry was little and I was expecting Alec we stayed in the Fowey youth hostel. By then youth hostels were already ‘adapting’ and we had a family room to ourselves.

Edited to add…somewhere in our loft is a Force 10. Not been used for quite some time though. LOL. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catcouk said:

Ah! The good ol' Force 10! Still used by many youth organisations. In fact, we are taking our year group on a camping residential trip in a month and, I suspect, Force 10s will be the order of the day!

Excellent tents, but oh so heavy!

Does anyone know the name of the A frame tents that were around at the same time. I’ve been racking my mind for years for the name.
Orange, rectangular footprint with long sides front and back, with large front door and a frame of two poles with an A shaped ‘hinge’ at the top, frame going between inner and fly if I remember rightly. 

Helen, I have a feeling we’re going to be having plenty to catch up on at the meet. I used to walk home from school over the downs at the end of every term, as we always finished at lunchtime and it was good saving of my train fare that day, sometimes stopping overnight at either Patcham or Truleigh Hill youth hostel and sometimes wild camping. 
Camping at Huntington Cross on Dartmoor under fly sheets in February after a day spent underground in some muddy Devon cave is a memory I’ll always have -3 yrs running, one snow, one hail and one torrential rain where I woke up in the middle of the night and sat up to realise I’d been acting as a barrier for the water rushing down the bank. A long night spent sitting up after that as otherwise my head would have been in a puddle. A toad had joined us in the morning 

Big shame in my eyes that youth hostels are now just another type of hotel, and too expensive for many youngsters to have independent adventures. 

What is the title of this thread????? Think we may have strayed. Sorry. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Around 1966 there were " camping boats" for hire on the Grand Union canal. They were basically a flat bottomed punt with canvas covered poles forming a box like tent. Powered by outboard. 

That sounds fun. 

I think you lot must be made of sterner stuff than me.

Could never get on with camping at all. Far too uncomfortable 😞 

Camper van far too cramped.

Even tried a caravan for one year. If a woman tells you size does not matter she is lying. 😲 A 22' X 7.5' caravan is no comparison to a 35' X 12' boat.

Found Narrow boats far too noisy and uncomfortable 😩

First boat was cramped and cold on NYE at Gelderston when frozen in 😲 no heating 

Second boat has has rediant heating which caused a whole load of condensation and the hot water system rarely worked let alone the engine that broke down with depressing regularity .

Only found comfort on third boat with a diesel engine that worked all the time, a hot water system that worked just fine, and we installed a blown air heating system to the rear cabin that kept us warm without making us damp. 😁

Fourth boat had all the above plus a heating system that warmed the whole boat plus a bath 👍

Current boat has all the above minus the bath but is warm and comfortable.

Maybe that's why we have owned it for nearly 20 years 😎

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Current boat has all the above minus the bath but is warm and comfortable.

Maybe that's why we have owned it for nearly 20 years 😎

I always knew you were a softie at heart Mr FF.

Must admit I like my boat comforts nowadays too. Grown too old to enjoy camping, though it was great when we were younger. A wonderful sense of freedom. Guess that’s why we’ve fallen in love with boating on The Broads. 

• Like 1

Never been one to slum it Ms Angelsey. 😎 

Even at the very beginning of my seagoing career as a Deck Cadet ( apprentice) I had a decent enough cabin on board. Then as Third Mate even on older ships Junior Officers cabins were very nice and catering was of good restaurant standard.

The only time it was a bit cramped was as an Able Seaman on harbour and offshore tugs. But fair play the catering was pretty good. Or actually after that I went as first mate on American ships and that was pretty dire.😲 The job was great fun though 👍 

Back on deep sea tankers as 3rd and 2nd mate and pretty luxurious.

1st mate and Captain on North Sea Supply Vessels and Salvage Tugs accommodation was very good for the size of the ships but the weather was sometimes appalling 😲

Got ejected from my bed More than once by large waves and slammed into bulkheads on a fairly regular basis not to mention having to dodge heavy cargo washing around on deck or having to watch my crew dodging certain death right in front of my eyes. I am proud of the fact that under my command no one was killed, yes life changing injuries, but no fatalities. It's quite hard to have one of your crew/friends airlifted off not knowing if they are going to survive, and knowing it's my responsibility.

Or even as a Pilot seeing mooring ropes or Tugs tow lines  parting and just praying no one is dead. Or having to co ordinate a ships break down at high speed in a very restricted area that could have resulted in a major explosion as we were passing major oil terminals then having a crew member dying on board as we could not get medical assistance soon enough 

Can you now see why I like a bit of comfort on my boat.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Gracie said:

Richardson's market their boats as Platinum or Classic I believe. Well I'm the riff raff classic hirer in a beaten up old bath tub and proud :default_biggrin: I wouldn't want to spend three grand for a week on a floating apartment much preferring two weeks on an old tub

I remember having just the best holidays on an old boat like the Major Gem's and the bath tubs, I'm sure there are some hirers on here that remember the good old holidays to be had on the likes of these boats and how much fun it is slumming it without the mod cons of home  x

I agree . My sister's are forever asking me about all sorts of boats regarding what they have on board etc. My answer is always the same   

" as long as it's clean, the cooker works , the toilets and showers function and it's floats then happy days. At the end of the day you are on the broads , that's the important thing"

Also I'm not sure it's equivalent to camping , when asked by others who have never been what it's like , I often refer it to be a floating caravan. 

Ahh, I can smell the bacon and coffee as I dream 😊. It's funny how  everyday things have a unique smell on the broads. Even the rain smells good 😇

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Oh Neil, how many times have you walked along the bank and someone is cooking bacon on their boat, that is just the best smell, even if you're full it makes you feel hungry :default_biggrin: I love the sound of the rain on a boat roof, I even like the sound of bow slap. A  boating holiday is what you make it at the end of the day, posh or budget, you're afloat on the Broads and that's what matters x (I'm still hiring though :default_biggrin:)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

. . . . . . . . . I even like the sound of bow slap. . . . . . . .

Had to read that twice!! :default_coat:  Are we still able to use the word slap?  Have the woke brigade not banned it yet??  :default_hiding:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Oh Neil, how many times have you walked along the bank and someone is cooking bacon on their boat, that is just the best smell, even if you're full it makes you feel hungry :default_biggrin: I love the sound of the rain on a boat roof, I even like the sound of bow slap. A  boating holiday is what you make it at the end of the day, posh or budget, you're afloat on the Broads and that's what matters x (I'm still hiring though :default_biggrin:)

Ah…the tantalising smell of bacon wafting from another boat. Delightful, but simultaneously infuriating. Especially if you’ve set off extra early and haven’t yet had breakfast. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Yeah , sounds are unique on the broads also.

I've always been convinced every boat must come with a hidden wood pigeon 😁. Every where you moor , you can guarantee to hear one cooing away 😘. Can't always see him , but always hear him 😅😅.

Or is that just me daft again 😄?.

The way the diesel fumes react with the water 💚,  even the chemical toilet is comforting 🤗. My brain knows where I am when my senses pick up the signs 😍

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

Or is that just me daft again 😄?. 😍

You and me both as my dad would say :default_icon_kiss:

I'm with you on everything apart from the chemical toilet :facepalm:

The halyards clanking in the wind, the ducks, geese and swans tapping on the boat. Being on a wild mooring, sitting on deck and hearing the rustling in the bushes, I love it all. I even like the party boat when you hear her coming long before you see her.

I just hope one day the rustling in the bushes isn't a ruddy axe murderer, that could ruin your evening :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I just hope one day the rustling in the bushes isn't a ruddy axe murderer, that could ruin your evening :default_biggrin: x

It could by the Milk Tray Man bringing you a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine! :409_wine_glass: Oh dear, have I just shown my age. :facepalm::default_rofl:

Mind you next time you hear that rustling you'll be thinking could it be!

R.thumb.jpg.6393c4a91cca77ee8a802234169bb1a4.jpg

• Love 1