Charter Is The New Hire

Cheesey69

Well any excuse to charge more.. Sorry the prices in the last couple of years have gone stupid.. I mean even now they say the fuel on some hire yards the fuel is inclusive of the price of the hire what’s an absolute con.. So there basically making on that.. At this rate Holidaymakers will come wise on this. It doesn’t matter how much they love the broads they will not pay the silly high prices that the yards want. And find else where to go on Holiday.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Blakes did this sort of thing in the 70s, by branding the newer and more luxurious boats as "Blue Chip".  They had a badge on the cabin side to denote this and there were one or two extras on board, such as better linen, and towels.

Most of the larger hire yards are doing this now, surely.  Platinum, Premium and Luxury are all terms that feature in their advertising, giving some indication that the craft that feature in those ranges have something extra to offer in terms of luxury.  Even Hoseasons offer their Starboard range, with various extras included.

The word charter just seems to indicate that the whole experience is a bit more special.  Looking at some of the Broads related FB groups, many regular visitors are being dissuaded from returning due to ever increasing hire (charter) costs, making a week on the Broads too expensive especially when compared to other holiday options.

20 minutes ago, Gracie said:

My post was simply just my opinion, I wish them luck too and if it encourages people to hir....oops I mean charter :default_biggrin: a boat on the broads then it can't be bad. Anything that keeps our Broads alive and kicking is worth a shot 

I'll still be hiring though :default_biggrin: x

Gracie, but there are advantages to chartering, like the 6 bottles of complimentary free wine. :409_wine_glass::default_drinks:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There’s an American expression I quite like… ‘word salad’. Basically a new version of waffle’. Applies to managers (and marketing execs) who want to sound impressive but haven’t a clue.

I know…high time I retired. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Asking for a friend 🤣🤣

Does this Charter lark come with a Captain and crew and trolly dolly’s and Duty free by any chance ??? 

No it is "Bare boat" charter to be precise.

To add to the conversation, I mentioned this to Mrs Catcouk. She remembers seeing the sign too but assumed that the sign specifically referred to people 'chartering' the 'posh' boats (not the riff raff like us 'iring a bafftub...). Sums up the whole debate if you ask me!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Most of the larger hire yards are doing this now, surely.  Platinum, Premium and Luxury are all terms that feature in their advertising, giving some indication that the craft that feature in those ranges have something extra to offer in terms of luxury.  Even Hoseasons offer their Starboard range, with various extras included.

The word charter just seems to indicate that the whole experience is a bit more special.  Looking at some of the Broads related FB groups, many regular visitors are being dissuaded from returning due to ever increasing hire (charter) costs, making a week on the Broads too expensive especially when compared to other holiday options.

As you say a lot of the bigger yards are now putting their new additions into various categories as you stated above but how many years is it before they are downgraded. I haven’t seen the category, Basic or Downgraded in use anywhere.

• Like 1

Richardson's market their boats as Platinum or Classic I believe. Well I'm the riff raff classic hirer in a beaten up old bath tub and proud :default_biggrin: I wouldn't want to spend three grand for a week on a floating apartment much preferring two weeks on an old tub

I remember having just the best holidays on an old boat like the Major Gem's and the bath tubs, I'm sure there are some hirers on here that remember the good old holidays to be had on the likes of these boats and how much fun it is slumming it without the mod cons of home  x

• Like 6
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

As you say a lot of the bigger yards are now putting their new additions into various categories as you stated above but how many years is it before they are downgraded. I haven’t seen the category, Basic or Downgraded in use anywhere.

Barnes advertise Premium, Mid Range and No Frills whilst Richardson’s have Platinum and Classic ranges.  There is some differentiation, but I’m guessing that saying they have a premium range, implies that those that aren’t within that group, are not premium by default.  Maybe calling some ‘old tubs overdue  retirement’ wouldn’t be seen as good for business.

• Like 1

From the photo it looks like a general check in point rather than something being used to differentiate more luxurious boats. I think we could get too hung up on the "charter" word, it just sounds posher than "hire" but in reality just means the same, so nothing more than choice of language.

I don't like the term "camping on water", personally. I associate camping as being a cold, uncomfortable experience that includes traipsing across a field in the middle of the night to use the toilet. A boat holiday is nothing like that. I know we have "glamping" now but that's not real camping in my view.

• Like 4

One of the boats we hired a couple of times seemed to be in Barnes elite fleet because it had a bow thruster. That was the only reason that we could think of as the decor inside was very tired. It has now been downgraded.

I'm also curious to see at what point the old Swancraft boats drop out of the Richardson's platinum fleet. I reckon they're still amongst the best boats and at a great price but as they continue to age I wonder where they will rank eventually.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

From the photo it looks like a general check in point rather than something being used to differentiate more luxurious boats.

When we were moored up there last Tuesday, there were barriers across where that sign roughly is and then at 1p.m. there were a few cars parked up in the three lanes (reminiscent of a ferry terminal but obviously on a much smaller scale!) and the barriers were removed. There were three ladies checking the cars and then telling them if their boat was ready and where to go. (I don't think it was a separate check-in just for the "more luxorious boats" either).

Chris

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Just looked it up (yes, bored; polishing the Volvo and it started to rain!) - Hire is "obtain the temporary use of (something) for an agreed payment" while charter is "the hiring of an aircraft, ship, or motor vehicle for a special purpose".

Same then.

Exactly…word salad! 

47 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

From the photo it looks like a general check in point rather than something being used to differentiate more luxurious boats. I think we could get too hung up on the "charter" word, it just sounds posher than "hire" but in reality just means the same, so nothing more than choice of language.

I don't like the term "camping on water", personally. I associate camping as being a cold, uncomfortable experience that includes traipsing across a field in the middle of the night to use the toilet. A boat holiday is nothing like that. I know we have "glamping" now but that's not real camping in my view.

Agree. You only need to experience camping in Snowdonia (Eryri) over a very cold Easter weekend (snow on the peaks) to realise it’s nothing like Broads boating. I had a (theoretically) winter sleeping bag and several layers of clothes, woolly hat and gloves and still couldn’t sleep as it was so cold. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

I'm not sure that I meant camping on water literally lol It was more a comparison with yachts in the south of France... there in an element of roughing it, one that I enjoy immensely 👍😁

I agree about the enjoyment of ‘roughing it’, we have loved our trips on Hunter’s boats.

Even with camping though, there’s degrees of ‘roughing it’. I find the best memories are of the most ‘roughing it’ experiences.

My first camping experience was with my Venture Scout Unit. Graham was another Scout on that weekend, but it was before we started ‘going out with each other’, as was the phrase in the 70s. It featured a memorable night camped between the two lakes that are half way up Snowdon, on the route above Pen y Pass. It was very windy, and we were camped in a bowl below the peak. The wind seemed to have got trapped in the bowl and every few minutes a strong gust would hit our tents. Most of us were in ‘Force10’ tents, which fortunately stood up to their reputation, but one lad had brought his own tent which collapsed during the night, so he had to crawl into the tent Graham and another guy were in. None of us slept well, but it was certainly memorable! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1