Charter Is The New Hire

Cheesey69

I think this is long overdue and hopefully will work well. Chartering, so far as the Broads goes is not going to be really any different to hiring - but, yes it sounds better, and if that means you can cater to people's aspirational tendencies all the better for a business, who is after all only there for one reason: profit.

I remember some years back talking to Herbert Woods about a new concept, whereby their latest new-build boats were not just part of their 'Elite Range' but a new 'Blue Star' service. These would be very limited in number - maybe only 5 boats - but not only would you get the best, and newest builds and interiors you'd get more refinements all playing on the 'Blue Star' and history of the yard. So all the crockery would be bespoke to those boats (yep white with a blue band and single blue star on the lip), the bed lining, towels etc all of very high quality and all made up for your arrival. Providing high quality toiletries, and accessories for your time onboard. But you'd also benefit from early express take-over of the boat, and a later return time and a single contact at the yard should you need assistance. Finally, since your boat would not go under Potter Bride, a 3 hour complimentary Day Boat hire to experience some of what awaits those able to head up stream of the bridge. Well, clearly it was not taken further - but giving things like this would not cost a great deal to implement, but would mean a higher price of hire (or charter) could be charged and those customers opting for this would feel they were having the 'best of the best' which is sometimes what a luxury holiday is all about - a big treat.

This issue is any  problem that may crop up needs to be dealt with in a very careful manner, because the yard is seriously up-selling something and it is very easy for a customer who has paid above the odds to loose faith with you over how they are dealt with should something go wrong and very easy too for a companies reputation to be ruined by some viral video of a problem holiday hitting TikTok for example. So this is not without risk, but I think since Richardson's have a number of boats now which are of very high class like Tranquilla a Sheerline, or Amore a Haines boat - it might work to have these as a separate 'charter fleet'. Let's see..

• Like 8

It still sounds like a load of waffle. Just to talk something up doesn’t mean the customer’s experience is going to be any better. There’s a fine line between marketing and customer reality. If you over hype something you stand less chance of repeat sales. If you fail to capture the market, you go under…

Seriously though, given we have so few boatyards now, if some mis-sell that could have a dire effect on the Broads. 

• Like 2

I think that marketing a Broads boating holiday as camping on the water would see a lot more return customers than some sort of South of France millionaire vacation.

It's Norfolk, it's beautiful but there is always a fair chance of mud, cold, tin pie dinner went you can't moor at a pub and a blocked WC

It's a wonderful holiday, beautiful boats with all mod cons can make it glamping on the water but it can't make it a 5* hotel or Michelin restaurant.

Raising expectation to something aspirational rather than realistic sounds like the quickest way to disappoint people who are paying a lot of money.... and as for the frustrated entitled's reaction to real life v marketing fantasy! It won't be pretty!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Might explain the drift away from the idea and branding of hiring. 

0FC8F1F5-6F21-49F3-A3EC-67994788D4B2.jpeg

I did wonder about this sign when we saw it last Tuesday when moored up at Richardson's for the night. Also noticed that they still operate the queuing system for booking in, reminded me of the days when I use to queue up for a cross channel ferry! I have to say though that the staff are very friendly and helpful! We wanted to top up with water but the pump was switched off. One of the staff was walking past and not only went to switch the pump on for us but also untangled the water hose that some previous person had left all messed up!

Chris

• Like 4

Obviously following NYA’s model, although it’s fair to say that the craft that NYA offer for ‘charter’ are all a ‘cut above’ in terms of quality.

I think Ray has hit the nail on the head though.  For many years we went to France and Italy with Eurocamp, staying in mobile homes on parcs in some very scenic areas, including the Gorge du Tarn, Ardeche, Gorge du Verdon and the Dordogne.  Some were quite basic, others more luxurious with air conditioning, en-suite facilities, decking and gas barbecues all included.  Maybe the name Eurocamp gave the impression that it was a tent in a field, but in reality it was far more than that.

Are they trying to oversell the product?  With some of Richo’s newer craft, maybe not, but chartering something like their old Ocean 30’s doesn’t quite fit the picture that the branding implies imho.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It still sounds like a load of waffle. Just to talk something up doesn’t mean the customer’s experience is going to be any better. There’s a fine line between marketing and customer reality. If you over hype something you stand less chance of repeat sales. If you fail to capture the market, you go under…

Seriously though, given we have so few boatyards now, if some mis-sell that could have a dire effect on the Broads. 

Sadly the Broads have been mis-sold by the BA and larger hire company`s for many years now with the NP branding etc, I have spoken to many first time hirers who will not be returning as  the experience was not the one they thought was advertised and to costly for what it was.

While most of us appreciate and love the Broads for what they are they do not resemble a National Park in the accepted sense with very little that is not dependant on being on the water and certainly not the number of pubs etc that you would expect from the adverts in the brochures and web sites.

Fred

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I remember some years back talking to Herbert Woods about a new concept, whereby their latest new-build boats were not just part of their 'Elite Range' but a new 'Blue Star' service.

Blakes did this sort of thing in the 70s, by branding the newer and more luxurious boats as "Blue Chip".  They had a badge on the cabin side to denote this and there were one or two extras on board, such as better linen, and towels.

The idea of marking out a boat as more luxurious, so the customer expects to pay more, is fair enough but there is a danger to this policy!  It immediately implies that the rest of your fleet are of a lower standard, even if you call them bargains, or "value for money".  In selling holidays you must never, never, NEVER imply that your customers are hiring a "second class" boat!  It doesn't work, and it didn't for Blakes, at the time.

As for hiring by a different name, this is just semantics although I believe I am right that in maritime law, the hirer of a vessel is the charterer, and as such is responsible for the handling of the vessel.  This is certainly the way insurance companies see it.

• Like 5

I agree with Helen and Ray, it's waffle and camping on the water would be a more appropriate way of selling a Broads holiday. People chartering a boat on the Broads expecting a Monte Carlo experience are going to be sorely disappointed and won't come back

It's camping on the water at the end of the day or glamping if you hire a brand new boat. Hiring a boat on the Broads is exactly as it should be for me and will always be thank you very much x

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Is there not the possibility that the so called Charter Experience will be achieved at the expense of the ordinary hirer.

Who decides on the standard of boat. A third party devoid of pecuniary interest, or the companies marketing department which may have an entirely different objective or indeed perspective of what is required.

Every boat yard experiences a "Black Day" at least once or twice during the season. When everything which could go wrong, does go wrong. 

I fear for those who sit below the salt.

• Like 3

I certainly was miss sold our first hire boat by my other half who reckoned it was going to be so luxurious.   I went with great expectations and was sadly disappointed in this so called luxury boat that broke down, the fridge didn't work, the heating didn't work and this was early April and we had snow.         I know my experience is  not in the same instance as someone chartering and being disappointed.  However,   I survived and in the end after hiring for many years we bought our own boat , now sold and we are still hiring so not everyone gives up.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Can you see much interest in hiring (chartering) one of these at £1984 to £3146 per week, if it's marketed at camping on water? As in the Eurocamps example, people get a perception of what they're buying from the marketing. The parties that are prepared to spend on this type of boat won't even open the website. 

main image.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I think this is long overdue and hopefully will work well. Chartering, so far as the Broads goes is not going to be really any different to hiring - but, yes it sounds better, and if that means you can cater to people's aspirational tendencies all the better for a business, who is after all only there for one reason: profit.

I remember some years back talking to Herbert Woods about a new concept, whereby their latest new-build boats were not just part of their 'Elite Range' but a new 'Blue Star' service. These would be very limited in number - maybe only 5 boats - but not only would you get the best, and newest builds and interiors you'd get more refinements all playing on the 'Blue Star' and history of the yard. So all the crockery would be bespoke to those boats (yep white with a blue band and single blue star on the lip), the bed lining, towels etc all of very high quality and all made up for your arrival. Providing high quality toiletries, and accessories for your time onboard. But you'd also benefit from early express take-over of the boat, and a later return time and a single contact at the yard should you need assistance. Finally, since your boat would not go under Potter Bride, a 3 hour complimentary Day Boat hire to experience some of what awaits those able to head up stream of the bridge. Well, clearly it was not taken further - but giving things like this would not cost a great deal to implement, but would mean a higher price of hire (or charter) could be charged and those customers opting for this would feel they were having the 'best of the best' which is sometimes what a luxury holiday is all about - a big treat.

This issue is any  problem that may crop up needs to be dealt with in a very careful manner, because the yard is seriously up-selling something and it is very easy for a customer who has paid above the odds to loose faith with you over how they are dealt with should something go wrong and very easy too for a companies reputation to be ruined by some viral video of a problem holiday hitting TikTok for example. So this is not without risk, but I think since Richardson's have a number of boats now which are of very high class like Tranquilla a Sheerline, or Amore a Haines boat - it might work to have these as a separate 'charter fleet'. Let's see..

Totally agree Robin!  

I only see two ways for The Broads, firstly the "Eco" way and secondly an up- market way, injecting "Style" into it as a destination, something that is and has always been missing. A mixture of both would be ideal.

I am not trying to put down anyone's experience or views on this matter, but like me most regular subscribers here are getting on a bit! And like me you were brought up on a business model of " The all important Repeat  business" .

That is a dinosaur holiday business strategy. The folk out there in their 30s or 40s at the height of their earning power want the experience. Even if they have the best holiday ever they will not return for many years.

Richardson know their market and how to stay on top and that is constant "New Business".

To many of us it is not attractive but it is fact.  

Get rid of the mud and goose muck in the season and go up market, use the temp pontoon like they did at Horsey. Then come Oct 1st revert to nature.

And push the Southern rivers a lot more!

• Like 4

Here is your answer to lack of moorings and these can come with a pump to hose off. Non permanent, revert to the norm in winter. 

As for finance, charge, like every other boating destination.

Screenshot_20230430-100733_Photos.thumb.jpg.49447804875621b8f9aefc5a35af5a95.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Totally agree Robin!  

I only see two ways for The Broads, firstly the "Eco" way and secondly an up- market way, injecting "Style" into it as a destination, something that is and has always been missing. A mixture of both would be ideal.

I am not trying to put down anyone's experience or views on this matter, but like me most regular subscribers here are getting on a bit! And like me you were brought up on a business model of " The all important Repeat  business" .

That is a dinosaur holiday business strategy. The folk out there in their 30s or 40s at the height of their earning power want the experience. Even if they have the best holiday ever they will not return for many years.

Richardson know their market and how to stay on top and that is constant "New Business".

To many of us it is not attractive but it is fact.  

Get rid of the mud and goose muck in the season and go up market, use the temp pontoon like they did at Horsey. Then come Oct 1st revert to nature.

And push the Southern rivers a lot more!

That's an interesting post Chris, it made stop and rethink. I wonder if there is enough 'new blood' to sustain big fleets, it's an interesting point. Is it better to sell exclusivity at a premium or stack em high and sell em cheap (relatively). Also what if those paying for a one off experience don't have a good (very expensive) week? In today's world enough bad reviews can kill a business, even if they are not fair.

I'm glad these are not business decisions that I have to make!

• Like 1

I saw that sign and chuckled. They have really tried to make the old yard look up-to-date and the use of the word charter instead of hire speaks volumes. Maybe it will help make the experience that bit more pleasant for new boaters. But, as someone above already said, it is definitely just camping on water!

• Like 2

Dead on Chris. It's the Instagram age. New boaters want to share their experience with their friends in the form of "wish you were here?" photos. My guess and limited experience, is those hiring the glitzy cruisers are, in the main, not the regular, there every year, Norfolk Broads regulars. The rest of the fleets are there for the regulars. So the yards are still catering for the breadth of the market, but choke off the building of today's swish boats, (camping on water is a gross understatement in when applied to these new craft), and the regulars will be left with an ever declining ageing fleet.

• Like 2

Hey guess what, some fresh, up to date marketing in Norfolk! Who'd have thought... :default_jumelles:

Blue chip and blue star were as has been said, in the past but what about the future? What about now?

I went to a fishing show in February - £10 entry or £40ish for a VIP ticket. Fishing - for the working classes or toffs? All VIP tickets sold out. 

I agree with whoever was in that marketing meeting at Richardsons who said that people would rather relate their holiday anecdotes with "We chartered a boat on the Broads" than "We hired.."

Good luck to them I say.

• Like 2

My post was simply just my opinion, I wish them luck too and if it encourages people to hir....oops I mean charter :default_biggrin: a boat on the broads then it can't be bad. Anything that keeps our Broads alive and kicking is worth a shot 

I'll still be hiring though :default_biggrin: x

• Like 5