Too Sensible By Half

MauriceMynah

The discussion has wandered a bit from MM's original topic, but his post earlier this morning is absolutely right.

One of the knock-on effects of not having enough public mooring in a system is that folk are naturally going to start squabbling over what little is left.

The difference with the canal system is that the banks and the towpath, as well as the canals, are owned by the authority.  The Broads has nowadays become almost totally "privatised" and is slowly strangling the goose that laid the golden eggs.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gracie said:

I have to say that each time I have hired the handover and tuition have been first class. Any questions are answered and in my experience you don't have to be on your way until you are completely happy. It's not the hire company's fault if some just don't listen ignoring speed limits and everything else in the handover and boat manual. There's always going to be some that will do as they please without thought or concern for the boat they have hired or other river users

I'd also just like to say in regards to setting a good example to hirers, some hirers have been hiring boats longer than some people have owned one. That's not a dig at anyone whether boat owner or hirer, I am a huge fan of both camps :default_biggrin: x

Maybe an intense hand over because you are blond and female? :default_hiding:

Only joking, honest :default_icon_kiss:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I think it must be more difficult to be a continuous cruiser on the broads rather than the canal system, on the canals the requirement is that you need to move every two weeks, which must be easier for that lifestyle, than moving every 24 hours

I think you will find this far more widespread than you think, some of the canalised sections of the river Lee in London have livaboards as far as the eye can see that have not moved for months and this probably applies to most canals, policing is a major problem everywhere.

Fred

6 minutes ago, SwanR said:

You do see on some of the canal vlogs that they are also monitored for how far they travel in a year.

IMHO whilst not against the BA regs, moving between two of the most popular moorings day after day was never in the spirit of how I would hope people would behave. And very unfair to other boat users given where those moorings were. 

Not if you were waiting at 07.30 was the only time we could get onto Horning Staithe :default_biggrin:

RIP Graham

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Edited by MargeandParge
Add a bit

Apologies to M&P. I had edited my post but you had already picked it up and quoted it. But I stand by the part I decided to remove. Doing nothing but cruise between Ranworth and Horning mooring at each on alternate days would deny a lot of other boaters the chance to use those spots.

One problem with liver boards is they swap electric points so often it looks lik they are hogging the mooring. Perhaps if the BA had a no return for 48 hours or so might make space available, or all boats must have a home mooring before they can toll there boat. or more electric posts. The BA's game plan only works if all boaters are non liver boards. John

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Indeed Grendel, especially if schools are involved.

There used to be a lovely YouTube vlog created by a girl who lived with her Mum on the canals and who was homeschooled. Doing the vlog was part of her learning experience. She posted up another video recently, she and her Mum are now shore based and she’s preparing to go to college, so sounds like that homeschooling was pretty effective. 

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

I remember my "rough note book" at school when I was about 14. I'd written on it..."60% of my time here I done English, the other 50% I done maths."

So minus 10% for other subjects. Or maybe the maths didn’t go so well?

I wasn’t that great at maths. Luckily I ended up in the borderline class that they decided to experiment on. Downside, we had to sit more exams than anyone else, on the plus side I ended up with both an ‘O’ level certificate (just about scraped a pass grade C) and a CSE grade 1 certificate.

I was even luckier that the teacher that we had in our two year period leading to the exams was the first who was able to explain maths in a way that I understood. He was a bit of a character. A lot more relaxed in class than many teachers. He retired a couple of years later and got an acting job on the very popular Welsh soap drama ‘Pobl y Cwm’ on S4C. One of the main characters too. I was impressed!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I wasn’t that great at maths. Luckily I ended up in the borderline class that they decided to experiment on. Downside, we had to sit more exams than anyone else, on the plus side I ended up with both an ‘O’ level certificate (just about scraped a pass grade C) and a CSE grade 1 certificate.

we did a very similar test at my school except we sat a single exam and got both an O level and a CSE grade, that was maths too (would have been around 1975-76)

2 hours ago, grendel said:

we did a very similar test at my school except we sat a single exam and got both an O level and a CSE grade, that was maths too (would have been around 1975-76)

Ah yes, obviously we were the generation that got experimented on when they were considering a GCSE regime. I did my O levels/CSEs in 1976. How lucky were you. I obviously drew the short straw in numbers of exams sat! 

By the way, I asked to be moved from the Physics O level class to the CSE class as I couldn’t make head nor tail of what the physics teacher was trying to teach us. I think that was probably a sensible decision as I got a top CSE grade and would have probably got a ‘U’ or similarly bad grade at O level. The physics teacher was the most highly qualified teacher in the school, having a doctorate. Unfortunately, only the very bright scientifically nerdy kids benefitted from his teaching. They all sat at the front of the class. It was telling that the only four girls who elected to take physics were relegated to the back of the class.

Recent governments have been obsessed with ‘improving’ teaching by insisting that secondary school teachers should be graduates in their subjects. My school experience suggests subject expertise is less important than teaching expertise! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Recent governments have been obsessed with ‘improving’ teaching by insisting that secondary school teachers should be graduates in their subjects. My school experience suggests subject expertise is less important than teaching expertise! 

Subject experts are needed at secondary school, otherwise lots of nonsense gets through. The idea for instance that a teacher of French can automatically teach Spanish is nonsense. Or because you teach maths, you can also teach business studies. 

BUT, and it is a very big BUT, primarily you have to be able to explain your subject in a multitude of ways to tap into everyone’s ways of thinking. I’ve worked with folk with PhD etc who just can’t communicate.
But then that also applies to plenty of others without the highest qualifications. 

• Like 2

Yes, agree with you Kate in that you do need knowledge of your subject, though once you have grasped research skills, extending your knowledge to a related subject is achievable. Communication is the key skill though. Sadly lacking in some very highly qualified people! 

I went to a Grammar school, CSE's werent an option, in my school our senior Chemistry teacher actually wrote the whole chemistry curriculum and had his name on the books we used as text books (when I say CSE's werent an option, i will add my french was so bad I actually sat a CSE paper for the exam, and only just scraped a pass - not taking an exam also wasnt an option). I recall as we were top set maths we did the O level a year early and then did applied maths the following year.

You could get an F in CSEs by spelling your name correctly in my day :default_biggrin:

In my 2000 plus pupils Secondary Modern we had an assortment of strict older teachers and NQT hippies. In the 70s education was a bit hit and miss.

In my grandsons Grammer school, four of his subject teachers are Dr. Even at year seven. They have a couple of Professors in the upper years.

• 3 months later...

Has the bottom of the 2nd hand boat market fallen out when I wasn't looking or what?

A friend of mine (yes, I do have some) purchased a boat a short while ago.  It has proven, not to be to his wife's liking. The loo's too small, the boat rocks more than she was expecting and generally speaking the craft just doesn't cut it.

The boat is a 25ft Seamaster with a 1.5 BMC on a leg drive. I am told that the boat is in good order inside and out. Finally, the craft is being sold with it's mooring available. 

Maybe I'm looking through Rose tinted glasses but I would have thought it worth about £7500

He has it up for £6500 I think. Oh and before you ask, I'm not on commission! I am curious though as to what people here think it's worth 

• Like 1

The market seems to be flooded with smaller boats, Norman's, Vikings etc. The prices of these older boats has dropped because of this.

Hampton safaris are holding up for a good example but anything needing work is hanging around.

The tag of, needs some TLC, appears to put buyers off. 

Anything above 28' feet, in good condition looks like it will sell, perhaps slower than in the past.

The price range £20k to £50k looks to be holding up at present.

Budget boaters will be hardest hit by the squeeze on disposable income, hence the number of boats coming on the market in that range. 

There are also a lot of sports cuddy boats about, day use is becoming too expensive to justify.

I think bigger, luxury boats will be next to feel the squeeze. The key to selling at the moment is to price it well and be in very good condition otherwise it will sit there for a long time.

I have seen Calypso's priced from 15k  to 35k, in various conditions, but that is a big price range for some internal upgrades.

Priced right, everything sells.

The problem is nobody wants to lose money on selling but are happy to make money in better times.

"The value of your Investments can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed at any time. You may not get back the full amount you invested".

• Like 5

Happy's right that outdrive will put a lot of folk off but in all fairness it's an enfield 130 and they're not that maintenance intensive as they're pretty basic and will last forever on a 1.5bmc, every 2-3 years change the gaiter and 8 1/2 pints of ep90 and they're happy, it's not a massive job but does need to be out of water, the gaiters will probably do 5+ years with no problem whatsoever but the change is recommended more often (I'd go for the 5 year option).

I've rebuilt a couple myself and they are very simple, a bit of sneaky roping and they lift straight up and allow the boat to take the ground quite safely, and they steer is reverse, props are >£200 so that is a bonus and the setup allows the engine to be right at the back so frees up space in the hull.

Bob knowles plant had all the rights to the castings and was getting them made (not had one for a few years now so old info) so everything was available, it wouldn't put me off but makes stern on harder, a bathing platform sorts that.

Nice little boat for the money.

• Like 2