Trixie Travels

Well, hasn't it been forever since I took some time to type up something here about me actually going somewhere on Trixie. Indeed, it has been over 8 months since I was even able to use Trixie (but more on that in a moment) but having got things all sorted out I thought it was time I took a few days down in Norfolk and got afloat. This year, my time on the water has been limited to just two trips - one an overnight on Broad Ambition to meet up with a friend, and the second two nights aboard Broad Ambition to meet with another..Compared to years gone this is truly remarkable, I managed far more time on the water when I'd hire boats!

So what has been up? Well, firstly I have changed (some might even say matured) but most would put it down to just getting older. See, when I would hire a boat it truly was a get-away and was the only thing I could do that I felt I was in control over, and independent in doing. I guess it was the driving of the boat (since back then I did not have a diving licence) and I think too the community on the rivers seemed a little more vibrant and active, it is perhaps shocking to think back to this being from 2012 onward so over a decade ago - how time flies! Now, since I got a driving licence this changed so much, because I just can't seem to help myself but go on random adventures - most recently to the Yorkshire Dales, but it need not be for a weekend away, last night I went for one of my night drives, I love it after midnight with clear roads, the right music on, and half an hour later I am usually back home chilled out and settled.  The thing was, this time I saw some brightly lit red 'antenna' sticking up that I had never seen before. Curious, I headed towards it - believing it to be 'just a few miles away'. Well, 32 miles later I had found what it was: the Belmont Transmitting Station near Market Rasen built in 1965 its 1,154ft tall - no wonder I could see it from close to home across the flat Fenland landscape but odd how it seems so close yet is so far. IMG_9063.thumb.JPG.384307a511d7e5012182d394850e8aed.JPG

The point is, just who would randomly see such a thing, and then drive out to see what it was and where it was at gone Midnight on a Tuesday? Me. And I rather like that sense of wonder has not left me despite turning 44 last month.

It has not just been all these other things which kept me from using the boat, see last October the heating began to get temperamental - it was 32 years old so I did not expect it to last forever, but it began needing several attempts to get it to fire - it also needed at least 13.3v to even think about starting, and during startup would pull an impressive 18Amps! Then, one day it was dead. I thought it might be the fuel pump, but they don't make those any more and a well used example would have set me back £135.00 plus postage off Ebay so instead I got a £20.00 new one for a Webasto off Amazon.  Down the boat and - the fitment is different. Back home and back on Amazon I order a bunch of stuff, from a copper pipe cutter to the correct ISO fuel hose, proper connectors, clips the lot. Back down this time with Charlie, and after cutting the hard copper fuel line and getting the pump in place, upon turning the heater on it' ticks 'brilliant I think, fixed for under £50.00 - but no, the fuel was not actually getting out the outlet side of the pump. Off to Boulters to buy a used older pump with a different frequency (delivery rate of fuel) and..It did not do much at all. I am now in the mood of 'replace the whole lot' so called JPC Direct in Brundall, a 2Kw Webasto heater fitted 'from' £2,500! Urm...No thanks. I thought do I go with 'cheap Chinese' or cheaper than Webasto, but more expensive than China 'Planar' (now made in Lithuania). We have one on Broad Ambition, so I that is the route I took and with some extra wiring loom and other bits, it came in at under £500.00 delivered with a 3 years warranty. 

I then got in touch with the excellent Daniel Austrin who, being excellent was very busy with big things - like changing engines on boats, but I was not so bothered about not using the boat as I had plenty of other things going on to occupy my time with. Fast forward to beginning of July and it is fitted - not easy I am told either, what with a new raw water impeller supplied and fitted I did not think £175.00 for the heating being fitted too was bad value, and I thought it was about time I now got down to the boat. Oh, and if you have wondered why on earth not having a working heater stopped be using the boat the summer, well you remember that copper fuel line that was cut? Yeah, well turned out when you turned on the fuel isolator for the engine to run and get fuel, fuel found it's way out to the now cut hard line to where the old heater fuel pump should have been - so no engine running..No boat use.

I arrive last Wednesday and set to cleaning the boat - it is terrible as 8 months of sat in the Wet Shed has taken it's toll with rust and bird muck all over the topside - the rust deposits have also stained the gel coat in areas but half a day cleaning and some Y-10 cleaner and a hand polish with some light compound paste has done wonders - inside was a little dusty but otherwise perfectly ok as she is kept at no more than 48% humidity year round  as I use a constant draining de-humidifier onboard. What had happened though was all the beer had expired, coke too, dry food and tin goods too. So big operation to get rid of this and then head out to Tesco and re-stock. Unpack it all, tidy away, fill the water tank and depart the mooring - and then I found out more bad news, the water pump (new in 2019) had pumped its last. Use them too much they stop working, don't use them enough they seem to stop working - in five years of ownership (I know how fast did that go) this is now water pump number 3! I got through 2 on Independence when lived aboard her for 3 years but put that down to daily use from dishwasher to washing machine to showers. So it is just before 5pm and I call Sutton Staithe Boatyard, speaking to Rob he is helpful as ever - they have one in stock, bring the boat round tomorrow and I can get it. This I do, and renew my recovery service that I have with them, so for that and the pump £286.00 the lighter it is time to fit said new pump - but with a full water tank and no isolator between it and the inlet of the pump. I pondered this project, saw in my mind a torrent of water, so got the yard to fit it - all was done with minimal leakage (experience and quick hands and lots of blue roll did the trick) and so, Thursday afternoon I was finally able to set off and enjoy the rivers...

I went all the way just past Barton Broad and thought 'that'll do' and picked a nice wild mooring and relaxed at last. I was asked during my days afloat by no less than 7 people if I would do any more videos, and in truth I would love to, but what sort of content is travelling from Sutton Staithe to just past Barton Broad and mooring up? So, see this is what I was talking about me changing. Indeed from Wednesday to Saturday I went no further than Ludham Bridge - and some might think that is boring, crazy even - but see, when you have previously lived in Broadland on a boat, and cruised to all the places time and again, I don't have the same want as most to go to this place or that, just between two trees is fine, reading about the Vulcan Bomber while working my way through a bottle of white wine does me just fine on a (dull) summers day in July.

So Saturday I headed back to base, intending to go home because - well I needed to do laundry, and I'd use the food up but then I thought, must I go now? I'd really settled back into boat living so instead I thought I would use Richardson's Laundry, then head to Tesco to re-stock and then head back out on the boat. Now, I don't want to seem rude, but how tedious it must be for those who live on boats to have 'wash day' and literally take hours and many pounds to do some laundry I know not how they cope. £5.00 for a wash, £3.00 for 20 minute dryer time. Of course its coins only, so in the car and off to Tesco to get cash out the ATM. I am so used to never using and carrying cash these days, so back to the yard and to the office - no they can't give me change for the machines. So back in the car, back to Tesco and do the shopping bit first then, when I pay I can get some change - urm no. See Tesco will only give change for money paid for goods bought - not anything else (due to risk of passing fake notes over and getting change back) so I said, why accept the notes for the shopping - they could be fake too? Perplexed look back no words..So I got £8.00 in pound coins - enough for a wash, and 20 minutes dryer use - talk about cutting it close. So having bought in Tesco detergent and fabric softener I duly used the machines, they are clean and do a good job. 37 minutes the wash took to complete and I decided to only use the dryer for the bedding as this I felt was most needed to be dry I hoped on the high heat it would indeed be dry after 20 minutes - well the machine actually gave me 25 minutes, and thankfully it was dry, the rest I'd have to hang in my sun heated drying area (the canopied aft cockpit to you).

Back underway this time I mud weighted on Barton Broad - bliss again, away from the noise and rush of daily life, it was just a few Ducks and a Swan for company. The following morning I was up and underway - this time actually getting under Ludham Bridge - really pushing the boundaries now! All the way to Womack, then back to Thurne Mill (it was open) and then on to Horning. I had a message Howard and family were out on Broad Ambition heading for Acle or Stokesby and so I thought be nice to catch up as not seen Howard for too long in person. We duly moored outside the Bridge Inn at Acle, yes, July on the Broads on a weekend, just turning up and getting a mooring outside the pub - it is very quiet out there this year! I also think one of the rare occasions (and only I remember actually taking a photo of) have Trixie and Broad Ambition be out a the same place together. Lovely meal was had, good Ale and conversation too.  Come the morning, Howard departed for the souther rivers, while I headed back to Ludham Bridge in the rain - got under and moored up once more on the Ant - but come 5pm, I was restless - time to go home I felt, so packed up, back to the Wet Shed and departed for home at 6:45pm. After so long away, I now wish I could come again this weekend, but I have a party to attend to, and next weekend another - oh well, life ain't so bad after all away from the rivers...   

IMG_9455.thumb.JPG.d48e3d9f5cb94b23c9ed661e5f43c621.JPG

IMG_9451.thumb.JPG.071bf2fd71253f469db56c70fc751f60.JPG

IMG_9429.thumb.JPG.b1ac485a31fd0d114882da0f3bc32b26.JPG

IMG_9386.thumb.JPG.5719e98fecb053a5b223861e08bd1025.JPG

IMG_9376.thumb.JPEG.28c0a86262f8acda906b4d14b641ccee.JPEG

IMG_9456.JPG

IMG_9457.JPG

IMG_9356.JPG

• Like 19

I thought of you today, spotted Independence moored on the river at Brundall.

It is very quiet on the rivers, the south is strangely quiet, very few hire boats and a lot less private owners about.

We went to the Ferry Inn at Horning this evening, no more than 20 people eating and mooring space for at least seven good sized boats right outside.

Interesting post. I expect there are quite a few people who have wondered what life had in store for you next. You were a big part of helping those of us who knew nothing about the Broads and boating. But we watched your videos, informative and entertaining, and fell in love with the experience ourselves. 

• Like 1

When I came across the videos it prompted me to remember fantastic childhood holidays and a few when i was older and they were the reason why we ended up buying a boat. So its all Robin’s fault!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, having not been boating for months - I've been back again for 5 nights just a few weeks since the last time, at this rate I'll have to start some kind of way to record the events, maybe a video - maybe a You Tube channel...Nah, it would never take off...

I decided to head down to the Broads again last Friday (11th August), and duly arrived trying a new 'trick' which was to stop at Lidl just off Broadland Northway (It's actual title is Lidl, Broadland Gate) and get all I needed here, then proceed to the boat and on my way. I am not that keen on Tesco, but that might be because I was effectively brought up with Sainsbury's (it was at the end of the road when I live in London) and Stalham Tesco seems like an oversized Express - it has almost everything but not quite what you'd usually find in a large Tesco. Anyway, having got onboard Trixie it was the usual 'pre-departure' routine -  fill the water tank, wash the boat, dry the boat, clean the windows, unpack the suitcase, make the bed and then ponder where I would be going to, and why break tradition these days, a 'wild mooring' on the River Ant.

I left the mooring, passing Richardson's basin remarked about how many boats seemed to be in still 'it will be quiet on the rivers again' - ha! Famous last words. There was a fair breeze and I did not want to mud weight on Barton Broad, but I noticed how every wild mooring between Stalham and Barton Broad was occupied - over the Broad, and Irstead was full (of course it was) but then everywhere else was too, How Hill and when I arrived Ludham Bridge as well. I passed under the Bridge now thinking I might get in at St. Benet's, but no - this was likewise full (well, like How Hill if people had been a little more thoughtful in their spacing 2 or 3 more boats would have been accommodated.) I decided to go somewhere I have never moored in Trixie before, Fleet Dyke - the moorings on the bend which I believe are Environment Agency ones not Broads Authority - regardless they are lovely moorings, recently refurbished and the gentleman in the Alpha 35 kindly took the ropes upon my arrival as if my personal 'mooring valet'. His boat also had the most amazing window covers with 'googly eyes' and combined with two black vinyl stripes above the bow made the Alpha's front end the perfect smiling face.  It was a warm evening, and just before dark a large Horning Ferry Marina craft arrived clearly desperate for a mooring.

IMG_9696.thumb.JPG.1c8cee364faa04fe3ded49ef4c5b4572.JPG

Morning came but I was in no hurry to do much at all, so went about doing some improvements onboard - replacing electrical sockets with new, since the existing had become a tad loose. I was pleased I did, because whoever had these installed previously had not done a very good job of tightening down the wires in the respective terminals, in one the neutral wire popped out as I took the faceplate off! I also found a lot of corrosion to the earth terminal on all the sockets - since I had the shore power upgraded with new consumer unit and automatic shore power/inverter changeover I had a galvanic isolator fitted also but I am not sure the decades of use without one should effect the earth points on cabin sockets? Still, all new ones went in, stripped back virgin copper on the wire and correctly fitted the back plate to the bulkhead with four, not two screws as before.

Now I can't say this is going to be a day-by-day account of things, and this is why in all honestly the idea of doing new Captain's Blog Videos  is an issue too - lack of meaningful and interesting content. Because having eventually left Fleet Dyke, I headed towards the River Thurne - well, I was actually going to go to Potter Heigham but never did get there, Thurne Dyke was almost empty and it as approaching midday - so he Pub seemed a good bet instead. I had a look in the 'Information Kiosk' - the former phone box, and it is not bad actually, but missed the point of being informative completely in my opinion. The 'anti Broads National Park' brigade had been there previously, leaving marks where stickers had been placed over the Broads National Park branding, now it was said to be "...visitor information centre with content to educate, inspire and encourage residents and visitors to explore the Broads at any time of the year..." Which sounds really worthwhile, however what you get is a single 'information board' and a wind-up audio player of the different bird songs. Why this could not have offered recorded content about the history of the Pub, Staithe, Water Pump, the Village and so on I know not - that would have been informative, bird songs not so much. Still, at least it did not cost Toll payers anything, or UK tax payers since it was funded by the European Regional Development Fund and the Interreg France (Channel) England Programme. I smile at the prominent EU Flag and proud information stating how this was funded. We may have left the EU, but they still are happy to fund projects here, anyone would think it was some kind of political propaganda.

Leaving the old phone box and politics to one side, it was time for lunch and I had an excellent one in the Lion. I think they have the price/quality/choice just right - not too fancy, not too pricey but my they must have had about 8-10 staff working there that afternoon, and much of them were left talking in pairs - I mean, it meant for amazing service, but I wonder how sustainable this is when the pub was far from busy and the Dyke had a spattering of boats on an August Saturday afternoon. Oh what has happened to the Broads I wonder, busy yes, but not at all how it was a decade ago let alone 30 years back...

Back to the boat, and the wind has other ideas about letting me depart - they say small boats are easy to handle, no, no they really are not. Weighting under 2 tonnes, with a high side and canopy up Trixie is bulled about by the tide and the wind and when they combine you just have to submit to mother nature and figure out new ways past expecting the bow thruster to win the batter, with nobody to help with a spring line, it was a big shove off, reverse, bow thruster - hell it was everything lol - but it worked and was once again underway, this time back downstream for the Bure and as it would turn out, back up the Ant to an old friend, a wild mooring just upstream on the Port bank from How Hill.

IMG_9722.thumb.JPEG.04093855c2aa22793079c2af0cdd4fdb.JPEG

Again, buy this time moorings had been filling up fast and it was only around 3:30pm so I opted for something quiet and away from other boats. But what to do with the rest of the afternoon? Well, how about add a new spur and single socket so I could plug the Television into it and not have to use a short extension lead - I set to and sat back to enjoy my hard work, the issue was while the TV plugged into the socket just fine, anything else (with a longer tail on the plug) would not. So socket off, raised it by 10mm and now it truly is sorted. I also neatly installed my Roku device to run off the USB socket of the television, so with the onboard WiFi I've done away with any aerial and ability to receive broadcast television, and instead it is all steamed. This meant I could indulge in (the rather old now) but gripping political series 'House of Cards' on Netflix.

IMG_9728.thumb.JPG.6b7a587c35cc4568d0f851872c4e4b86.JPG

IMG_9735.thumb.JPG.16a9c77231aacf1e216d87356866978e.JPG

IMG_9736.thumb.JPG.5f5d1d279abb51877db1b06e20154fff.JPG

IMG_9738.thumb.JPG.9969e7ad7b669f9ef632d4bff5c4c81f.JPG

Sunday came - urm well, it rained but eventually I got going and head back to base - top up the water tank and then get in the car. Why travel for hours to Potter Heigham when you can drive there in minutes? I also popped in to Tesco for some essentials I was running low on (Ale and Wine) - well okay, bread and eggs and some sausages too lol. Back to the boat and off - this time I knew exactly where to head to, the Bure and  'Pump House Corner' nut on arrival, oh no! it currently has a big generator providing the water pump power and it runs 24/7 and I did not much want to spent a night next to that. So I found just along the way was again a mooring location i have never used - ever! As a family we would never moor there because my Dad would always say the Bure was too 'sloshy' (I call it Bow Slap) but he has a point, Trixie has no 'low wash' hull so suffers with no Bow Slap - but where the metal piling is some sections still retain their rubber capping, and using the Rhonde Anchors decided there would be ideal, that said, it is like being in a washing machine when a large hire boat passed at 6MPH four feet off your starboard side - making a coffee let us just say requires some planning between passing boats so not to risk and spillages. Once evening came, it was a lovely quiet mooring - so still.

IMG_9755.thumb.JPG.b9f9fec2f1011f65cae74a2d2391ec74.JPG

Monday - again not up too early, and again no real plan - so you see now why I said making videos would be tricky these days, since frankly when I am afloat I do very little compared to the many hours of cruising to various places in the past. I sort of just decided to head downstream, maybe I could be bonkers and go south? But if I did, what would I gain, this was about doing little, not a lot. I got to the mouth of the Thurne just as Broad Ambition crewed by Howard passed - I grabbed the PMR to see if he would have his on, and low and behold he did, Wroxham bound they were - on a rising tide - the bridge height recently has been down to 6' 4" so I wished him luck (on his arrival was 6' 6" plus the usual leeway here of around 2" so presented no issue for Broad Ambition to get under). I thought about what to do - Acle, Potter Heigham, how about Womack Water? But then I had not been to Horning or Wroxham since last October and Lad's Week - so about turn Horning would be the destination. I popped my bow into Malthouse Broad to see if the Staithe at Ranworth was busy despite the mooring fees, it was so they have clearly not changed the minds of that many after all. I had a stop off at Cockshoot Dyke where helped a family on San Remo understand to bring the stern of the boat in, you must first slacken off the bow line, and frankly faffed about for far too long with Trixie's canopy to remove the entire rear panel, sides and open the 'sun roof' panel in the top. It's fine with two of you, when alone it takes ages.

Anyway, underway again, and...Horning was busy, very busy. The Ferry Inn looks pretty sad these days, the old sign removed on the side facing the car park, and with it a bunch of paint too, showing where it once was. Of all the pubs this has (in my opinion) stalled most. Before it was a bit 'over the top' but it made it unique, stand out from the usual and was busy and had a good vibe - now it seems a bit confused as slowly the new owners make it their own, but too much of the past remains somehow so it is a bit lost in my mind. It certainly is nothing like as nice as the New Inn, which had once become my least favourite or pubs on the Broads. Now it is buzzing, the food is lovely (expensive mind you, Shiela and I had a Sunday roast here after she took part in the Norwich 10k race [Run Norwich] and with two drinks came to over £40.00) - I have not been in the Swan for a good while so would be unfair to comment on it.

Well Horning was out, and could I be bothered to get under Wroxham Bridge? I'd have to moor up - take the entire canopy off the frame so the frame could be stowed correctly forward between the dashboard and instrument binnacle) then lower the screens - get under the bridge - and then repeat, then again twice - once to get back under, and once under moor again and faff about putting it all back up. No, so I called Barnes Brinkcraft - they had a spot on their pontoons, (27 foot and under) so I duly arrived moored up and then the heavens opened - thank goodness I had not gone under the bridge! I duly paid my mooring fees (£7.50 for the day until 5pm, £15.00 overnight for private craft) and headed into Wroxham. I ended up in the Kings Arms, having a Guinness and about half an hour later Howard appears -  I moved outside and spent time, I know not in the usual sense of the word, but four more Guinness's were consumed I know that much. I headed back to the boat (okay yeah, I'll be honest because it will make some of you cringe - via McDonald's for a Big Mac). Now the rain had stopped, but did I want to spend the night in a boatyard or...Nah, engine started and time for some proper cruising and some proper music - so pleased with the new Sony head unit I fitted so I can now stream Spotify to it from my Phone.

Some hours later...I arrived on Barton Broad. Lovely, I went to my new preferred spot (by the Nancy Oldfield Trust's floating pontoon) it has better mobile reception than 'Rascal Bay' - which is now home to some dredgers and work barges for the time being anyway. It was now about quarter past eight getting slowly darker and yet the wind was growing ever stronger I re-checked the forecast and it was telling me 8 to 11 MPH well this was far more than that - the little wavelets were getting sharper and I took the decision to up mid-weight and head for a wild mooring (or Richardson's yard if need be). in falling light, with Nav lights on, I have to say it was beautiful and I was not bothered by this impromptu evening cruise, I arrived sometime later in the inky darkness, just before you lose the last of the light in the sky at one of my new preferred spots between two trees - so no need for Rhonde Anchors, safely tied up, the wind was blowing hard in the tree canopies and I was pleased I was not bobbing about like a Cork on Barton Broad.

IMG_9776.thumb.JPG.824b8f646d11eefc78d060b99814a6c9.JPG

Tuesday morning, turning into Tuesday afternoon and I had yet to leave the mooring - in fact I had woken early, before 6am to look out the cabin window at the perfect sight of a man in a small dinghy, standing drifting on the slightest of currents, Fly Fishing. I spent much of the morning reading and making my 'one tray' breakfast. I bought some disposable foil cooking trays so no washing up needed, and oven bake the Bacon and Sausage, then do some Beans and a fried egg on the Hob, less fat, less splatter and less cleaning up after - ideal.

I cruised back to my home mooring - because I was not sure if I was going to head home today, or tomorrow - I decided on second thoughts, I would push it to another night after all - so went the for a long cruise again - no, I took a slow cruise back down the Ant and this time to a calm Barton Broad. Here, I watched the last of the days Sailing, saw the odd hire boat pass by towards Lime Kiln Dyke and just loved it so much gentle, silently, swinging on the mud weight. Sat in the cockpit with a glass of wine and a gentle, warm evening breeze as the sun set to the most outrageously beautiful scene of water, clouds and colours in the sky truly was a remarkable end to a few days lazy boating.  

IMG_9810.thumb.JPEG.f13f6105b3036f3b9a20dec60ce67fd1.JPEG

IMG_9805.thumb.JPEG.052fba14118e6ae14350ad0cf2b45111.JPEG

IMG_9464.thumb.JPG.93c1774236e457d2e2bfec14b00c67f4.JPG

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Thanks Robin, a most enjoyable tale. I can see why you don’t want to go down the faff of doing vlogs again. I sometimes rewatch one of your old vlogs if I’m getting ‘home-sick’ for the Broads.

That Broadland Gate Lidl is now our go-to place for our first shop. I often end up supplementing that with a quick visit to the Thorpe Sainsbury’s though, which is only a few minutes away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks Robin, a most enjoyable tale. I can see why you don’t want to go down the faff of doing vlogs again. I sometimes rewatch one of your old vlogs if I’m getting ‘home-sick’ for the Broads.

That Broadland Gate Lidl is now our go-to place for our first shop. I often end up supplementing that with a quick visit to the Thorpe Sainsbury’s though, which is only a few minutes away.

I actually would like to do some new video's - but not sure in what form. I think the daily 'Blog' is a tired format now, too many are out there doing videos of much the same and also once you have seen one Drone video you've seen them all. There is far more to the Broads than just the same rivers, Pubs, moorings and villages along the way. What has  also become increasingly popular is someone to just sit and film boats at a bridge then post it, without any commentary for people to watch and make their own commentary up. It creates good view amounts because those who get hooked, literally do so keen to see what the next incident a new hirer may get themselves into.  I think that is a bit distasteful, it is akin to setting up a camera at a popular mooring and filming people who might not have moored more than a couple of times before on their holiday get things wrong, but many seem to like watching another's miss-fortune.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Twas ever thus, ever since man first trod on a banana skin.  

There is a value to those footages though, some people might actually learn something from them.

I very much disagree there, else drivers would have long learnt how to be more respectful to others from all the television shows about bad driving/Police chases etc. Now You Tube, Facebook and Tik-Tok is awash with Dash Cam footage of shocking events - still just as bad, and everyone who comments is always so righteous as if they never take chances or dive like a pillock.

If people cruise past a big sign saying there is a bridge ahead, that the spaced under is it just a few inches more than the height of their boat and having been told on take over about bridge procedures, folding the sun loungers and table down, along with the side screens and not having people up top - yet they arrive at said bridge in a panic "quick get it down", manage somehow to pass under without personal injury or damage to the boat all while being filmed from the bank, hmm, that's entertainment, not educational to those who watch it

• Like 2

Very much enjoyed reading your posts here Robin. Sounds wonderfully relaxing. Just how a Broads visit should be. We rarely plan our days now if we’re afloat apart from needing to be in the right place on the last night before heading back to the yard. Familiarity has bred that ability to drift from place to place. 

I agree about those folk filming from the riverbank. I haven’t made many of my little videos for a while but it’s a rule of mine not to show that kind of footage. Or to be zoomed in on people. But other vloggers seem to think we’re all fair game whatever we’re doing. And I don’t care for that either. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  What has  also become increasingly popular is someone to just sit and film boats at a bridge then post it, without any commentary for people to watch and make their own commentary up. It creates good view amounts because those who get hooked, literally do so keen to see what the next incident a new hirer may get themselves into.  I think that is a bit distasteful, it is akin to setting up a camera at a popular mooring and filming people who might not have moored more than a couple of times before on their holiday get things wrong, but many seem to like watching another's miss-fortune.

Sadly, people only seem interested in watching other folk’s misfortunes.  Clickbait titles encourage scores of armchair admirals to watch mishaps to drive up the YouTube metrics where money can be earned by the owner of the channel and make stupid comments like ‘it’s only a boat.  A dab of paint and it’ll soon be as good as new!’.  As Robin said, there was one such YouTuber originally, but the format is clearly popular and it now appears that more have joined the party.

• Like 2

I have worked a lot with the press and television, whose results are only good for them if the celebrity presenter runs into something - usually a lock gate.  Then they all think it's so funny, when they are actually presenting themselves as incompetent idiots.

Collisions, do not sell boating holidays.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, the August Bank Holiday weekend was upon us and Shiela and I had come up with no viable options on what to do, or where to go that would not run into several hundred pounds. So a plan was hatched - we would go away on Trixie.  This is an incredibly rare event because boating and the Broads has become increasingly something Shiela has cooled off on - and if I am honest, the same for me too.  I think what changed things to begin was living on a boat for 3 years in Brundall and all the places around the Broads being a drive away so popping to Ranworth, or some eating some Chips while watching the Swan's at Wroxham lost their sparkle - it was very much the same old repeated. I now very much like the rugged landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales, North Yorkshire Moors and Highlands of Scotland (and we even looked at Van conversions to 'stealth campers' to explore more - but both decided we liked a comfy bed and decent shower in a B&B than to be too much of an outdoors couple).

Despite this, I was especially surprised Shiela had wanted to come on the boat, and was not going to do anything to change this. I drove to Stalham and got the boat ready, then went to Wroxham to pick up Shiela who'd got the train.  We then both went to Tesco for supplies and by the time this had been stowed and we had done our last minute preparations, it was around 4:30pm Friday before we got underway.  Our first nights mooring would not be that far - Barton Broad at a new location I have found to offer better reception for EE who is what we used for the boats onboard WiFi. We have got rid of a television aerial, everything being streamed through a 'Roku' device on the television and music is streamed via Spotify.

Now usually I'd have more to say, and post more photos but you know I mentioned about this silly idea of filming a type of 'video diary' of our travels, and how it would never take off (ha!) well, I have only gone and done this and the two episodes are below..But, here are a little extra things to share here:

Bridge Inn, Acle

IMG_0043.thumb.JPEG.c29b30a833e842654d88ecca0ae3892a.JPEG

Ribs for Shiela

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.58f99017a05336784343f32d9d38f65e.JPG

Haddock for me

IMG_0049.thumb.JPG.68d11147964570cefbd02490a77d751a.JPG

Rain at Horning Staithe, cosy inside the boat still - watching Task Master

IMG_0078.thumb.jpeg.1c561746a8869f7f0e90e7140bfdf874.jpeg

Part One of the video special:

Part Two of the video special:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, MrBlueSky said:

Interesting videos, but at £9.50 for a Guinness and a small Coke, is anyone really surprised how empty the pub is ?

And some of the issue is the Pub is just managed - and the companies behind it (The Stonegate Group) will dictate much of the pricing, the issue is this company (and others like it) are in my mind in it for themselves while they can suck as much out of the public as possible, and then the bubble bursts will sell off and get the hell out of Dodge and on to new ventures.

Now I cant stand Mr Martin of Wetherspoons, but I will say this at my local dive you can get a pint of Guinness for £3.09. Indeed if you go for a Ruddles Best a whole pint is yours for just... £1.77! Now I don't expect the New Inn to charge such low prices, but I think they and others like them are taking the P with the prices they charge, and then the non-refundable mooring charges too. Put it like this, Shiela and I had a Sunday Roast at the New Inn recently, and for both of us with two Cokes it came to £39.90. That is the issue - local to me a roast is £11.99

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . .  Put it like this, Shiela and I had a Sunday Roast at the New Inn recently, and for both of us with two Cokes it came to £39.90. That is the issue - local to me a roast is £11.99

Ouch!  Makes the carvery at The Kings Arms look fantastic value, especially on a Wednesday, when you can get two for £22!