Princess 33

oceandawn

Are you moving by water or truck? Fuel consumption suggests by water in which case I'd be looking at fuel tank cleanliness before attempting the trip on a new to you boat, has it been used on sea or just pootling along rivers?

Sorry can't help with consumption. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Have you considered getting the fuel guages repaired/replaced?

If the tank positions are anything like my 30DS changing senders is an engines out job, I fitted new senders while I was replacing tanks and I don't want to be lifting the engines out and back ever again, doubt I'm even fit enough to consider it now, that said 80hp mermaids are probably a good deal lighter than my volvos.

I now dose and overdose my fuel anytime I can and especially before winter (luckily just before the first lockdown too), I've had my fill of fuel contamination issues thanks.

• Like 2

If your purchase has not been to sea recently, and being new to you, I would seriously consider transferring to Brundall by road.

By any standard it is not an easy passage and one with many locations where the last thing you require is a boat not performing or worse loss of power.

Even at the start of the voyage Brentford to clearing the Thames Estuary is not for the faint hearted.

• Like 3

Hi Everyone

I think my typo has lead to some confusion.I should have typed Wayford not Watford.However there are some really fancy ultrasonic sensors  on the tanks which are new but not connected.It is with  a boat yard at the moment who are lost as to what to do with them.The previous owner Kingsley Farrington sadly died so we are hoping to have the electrical engineer involved to look at them once back at Cove.It has three tanks and a transfer system but we don't know how much they hold in  total or how much is in them at present.It is a touch scary getting it to Cove as neither of us have driven it yet. Full of really high tech gear the only problem is we can't work any of it!

Many Thanks

• Like 1

If the tanks have a drain with a shut off valve you could use a length of clear hose as a temporary sight gauge, I have a section of brewers line on each of mine that I use when filling rather than the gauges so I can brim without overflow, because they can be shut off once checked the BSS doesn't worry about them.

Yes wayford is a wee bit different from watford....

Assuming it's on shafts handling it will be fairly easy so don't worry, just check which way each props rotates as will assist your decision when maneuvering, twins make for some interesting maneuvers.

• Like 1

As far as I know you use both but you can use one but the steering is not that good.We will find out when we sail her.Apparently you do not need a bow thruster.One engine in forward one in reverse.However we didn't fancy trying that so we have had one fitted.After all the years on the Broads we are not good h elmsmen!

Princess 33 airdraft if usually 8ft 

We always used to cruise using both engines on our old boat , and at river speeds she was very economical , we did have to make one journey on only one engine when a hose detached and was no problem at all , just had to allow for the constant drift to port when cruising 

16 minutes ago, oceandawn said:

The Princess has an aircraft of 8ft 6inches.Ludham will be O.K at low water still not looking forward to it though.

My Seamaster 30 was also 8'6".  Went through a couple of times at low water but was always a squeeze!

At ludham moor up and walk under with a tape measure, the gauge boards lie, I've been under with 8'2" showing and I need 8'8" to clear radar arch and vhf mounts when I'm folded down, I still had a bit of clearance, not sure now what state of tide was but I don't think it was fully low.

so thats 7'10 1/2" from the cill on the village side to the bottom of the bridge and 8'3" from the cill on the other side, the village side cill is 2" further out of the water than the other side so when just the other side cill is submerged there is 8'  1/2"  on the village side,  hence my statement if both cills are above the water there is at least 8 foot (possibly more but I wont commit to that) certainly in the middle of the span there will be a couple of extra inches, but you will lose those on the village side

23 hours ago, oceandawn said:

We have bought a Princess 33 with two Ford Mermaid 80 hp engines.Could anyone give advice on fuel consumption.The fuel gauges are not working correctly and we need to take it from Watford to Brundall.I

Many Thanks

As the boat is new to you I’d service the engines and if the tanks have drain valves on the bottom check for water / crud in the tanks.  Then fill both tanks up, they’ll be more than enough fuel for Wayford to Brundall plus the weight of full tanks will help with headroom at Ludham.  You could also refill with fuel in Brundall and this would give an indication of fuel consumption for the future.

• Like 2