Covering The North Broads In Velvet

Broads01

I'm setting off early tomorrow on my drive from South Wales for a week aboard Royal Velvet 2 from Barnes Brinkcraft. I'll be the solo human this time but once again Suzie our faithful Shih Tzu will be afloat with me. I'm planning to stay north and have no particular plans other than visiting a couple of pubs I'm yet to try. Give us a wave if you see us.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, NorfolkNog said:

Very low air draught too if memory serves. Probably one of the few that might get through Potter Heigham these days. Lovely boat. Enjoy!

IMGP5480.JPG

Shame she doesn’t look like that these days.  Along with Summercraft and one or two others, they certainly had a distinctive and easily recognisable livery, albeit one that’s not easy to disguise if the craft ever went into private ownership.

• Like 2

Sorry to have missed you again, Simon.  We’re just heading back to the marina.  It’s the Moonlight Shadow AGM tomorrow, so we need to be home to get ready for it.  Thinking about staying overnight and trying The White Heron this evening and going home in the morning.  Not sure yet.

Have a great week!  Currently on spring tides - very high today.  Just passing Cantley at 10:45 and the water has already overtopped, with 2.5 hours until high water!

• Like 2

Safely arrived in Wroxham. It was one of the quickest journeys ever and a complete contrast when I last came up at the end of July (when the A11 roadworks were in full swing). Bridge height showing 6 foot 3 when I last looked. Currently sat outside the Old Mill restaurant in the sun.

• Like 4

Re Malcolm and Simon comments, yes, Royalls were meticulous in their presentation both inside and out.

Cracking little boat nonetheless, perfect for solo or a couple. Might even get through Wroxham even with high river levels. We hired a day boat a few years ago to get through Potter Heigham and the only hire boat we saw through there was Velvet 2

• Like 1

It is indeed still a cracking little boat, Howard. Although it could do with some light upgrades (e.g carpet and sofa are a little worn) the Royal's build has stood the test of time well. I like the wood veneers, the display cabinet-style wall cupboard and the stern exterior lighting. It's also excellent value for money when you consider it has bow thrusters, electric mudweight, microwave and a bath (with shower over so no need to get the whole washroom wet).

All continued very well yesterday. I enjoyed a cheese and mushroom omelette outside the old mill followed by a slice of gluten-free cake. I drove around to Barnes around 1-30 and was greeted by Matthew Thwaites who led me to the boat and advised I'd get a call when it was ready. Cleaners were still on board but I knew I was early so I didn't mind waiting. I just mooched around the yard with Suzie nosing through windows of boats which were empty. At 2-40 I was given the all clear to load my luggage aboard and very soon after I was on my trial run. Barnes didn't used to insist they took you down the river but the guy did this time, I assume because policy has changed and I think it's no bad thing. I was soon away with Suzie downriver and contemplating where I might head for. I dropped the mudweight in Wroxham Broad for 45 minutes or so as I wanted a cup of tea and complete packing food away before Suzie could steal any! We then continued, roof still open as it was unseasonably warm. I was contemplating St Benets for the night but decided that would be a little too close to sunset for comfort so I opted for Cockshoot instead. I was surprised how bust it was there as I arrived about 5-20 and within half an hour it was full to capacity. I'm pleased to say all folks staying there were impeccably quiet and it was a very peaceful evening.

20230930_152507.jpg

20230930_161101.jpg

20230930_173059.jpg

• Like 15

I've had a brilliant day today. It's been unseasonably warm. I was never close to needing the heating either last night or first thing this morning. I took Suzie down the Cockshoot boardwalk first thing. She's a busy little dog and loves new smells anywhere so it was fun watching her tap tap down the boardwalk on her long lead ahead of me. We set off downstream just after, bound for Potter Heigham. It was a very relaxed cruise without a huge number of boats around. There was plenty of room on the BA moorings at Potter and I gave Suzie her second walk of the morning behind the riverside properties and as far as Maycraft opposite. The former "Quiet Moorings" look overgrown and sorry for themselves now. The opposite of that is "Bond Island Windmill" which I know is a holiday let and looks pristine on the outside. We returned to the boat to deposit Suzie whilst I visited Lathams. I don't like the place very much but there's always something I need there, on this occasion and quite bizarrely - Blue Tack. The reason for this is Velvet 2 has a very bizarre quirk in the washroom - neither the toilet seat nor even the toilet lid will sit upright due to the fact the toilet is positioned too far under the deck. Blue Tack was the best solution I could think of and so far it's worked well! Shortly after I returned to the boat, a couple on a large 2 berth boat got themselves in a pickle at the bridge. They passed me at the upstream end of the BA moorings doing around 5mph at a guess, tried turning too close to the bridge and ended up pinned sideways against it. One of the crew disembarked and attempted in vain to pull the boat astern towards Phoenix Fleet but the quayside to the right of the bridge juts out and he couldn't move the boat anywhere. He then enlisted the help of bystanders stood on the bridge and between 4 people they managed to haul the boat clear with no damage done. For safety there really needs to be a "NO TURNING PAST THIS POINT" sign in large letters, similar to the one at Reedham. There's always something going on when you're boating.

A little later we set off back downstream, overnight destination Acle Bridge. At Thurne Mill, there was a sailing club event in full swing. I actually love the challenge of negotiating a big group of sailing boats and enjoyed picking my way through. There were a couple of hireboats who didn't seem to know where to go and ended up floating in the centre going nowhere. I find the best thing is keep well right and try and find the balance between being patient holding back and being assertive moving through and out of the way. We were soon at Acle and there was plenty of space on the BA moorings. I've just enjoyed a meal at the Bridge Inn having sat outside earlier. When we came in the summer on a Sunday lunchtime I was a little disappointed but not this time - bacon chops, egg and chips was superb.

20231001_104401.jpg

20231001_111337.jpg

20231001_161623.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Bridgecraft were hard at work on Conway Bridge 2 at 4pm this afternoon, I assume an urgent repair was needed. In the foreground I think that's the boat they're going to fit out and add to the fleet. 

20231001_155920.jpg

That is indeed the boat that was seen and deemed to be fire damaged a few weeks ago.  Not sure what the plan is - it hasn’t even been fitted with an engine! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

That is indeed the boat that was seen and deemed to be fire damaged a few weeks ago.  Not sure what the plan is - it hasn’t even been fitted with an engine! 

We’ll, if anyone can fettle it, I’m sure Bridgecraft can! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It is indeed still a cracking little boat, Howard. Although it could do with some light upgrades (e.g carpet and sofa are a little worn

Yes, still got the Royalls carpet so it's done well. It had a gas heater just behind the front door ( to the right of your photo) which was really useful but I think gas regs make them illegal now.

Re the test run, we have to do them now with Bridgecraft, I suspect all yards are doing it after that tragedy in Yarmouth.

• Like 1