Hire Fleet Changes 2024

DAVIDH

19 hours ago, SwanR said:

Is this likely to be the same as Bella Donna that Richardson's have for hire? The headroom inside there was the lowest we've ever hired. And the head height to get out of the door to the bow was ridiculously low.

No it's not Bella Donna. It Bella Maria that is the same. We had Bella Maria a month ago for the second time. It really is home from home comfort. No compromises at all. 

I used to always think that boating and similar pursuits had to be more cheek by jowel. Roughing it a little bit. As I've got older I like the comfort a bit more. :default_icon_rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Indeed, I think Barnes acquired the old Alphacraft moulds so would have done the lay up themselves or Viking which I assume is a side project.

Viking is a separate outfit who Barnes have been working with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

No it's not Bella Donna. It Bella Maria that is the same. 

Well... Is it?

Bella Maria is the same size, but the fitout is Haines so it's a different level. A bit like comparing a Lexus to a Fiat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Well... Is it?

Bella Maria is the same size, but the fitout is Haines so it's a different level. A bit like comparing a Lexus to a Fiat.

Well yes the fitout is different. Haines being more upmarket, but the layout is almost identical. I've been on a Heritage 36 for a look and it is still very nice indeed. 

• Like 2

On 16/06/2024 at 17:29, Davydine said:

I don't think it has been mentioned previously, but Richardsons have a new boat “Superline” that has recently appeared on their website…

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/all-boats/superline/

Aaah - Superline (the original Horizon 35 one) was the first boat we ever hired, from Richardson's, when I was a child

On 16/06/2024 at 20:46, catcouk said:

Same as a Broadway? I wonder why they haven't just called it a Broadway? Maybe it's easier to make money out of newer names?

It's actually not a "new name", it is bringing back an old name from the 70's !

As Broads01 said, they were pale blue

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

The position of the helm reminded me of Humber Bridge. Wondered what you thought Mr Nog?

Very much so. If the lottery comes up this weekend I'd love to buy a mould and get it fitted out a la Humber Bridge or Radiance. I know the old Alphacraft models are not everyone's cup of tea but you won't find a better boat suited to the Broads (IMHO of course) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There's a lot to be said for that style, for sure. They'll take you almost anywhere on the system in comfort.

I'd love to see a 2 berth RL38 (Broadway / Superline) but I suspect it won't happen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Viking is a separate outfit who Barnes have been working with.

I thought they'd changed from Viking to Banks Martin a year or two back, or am I wrong?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Very much so. If the lottery comes up this weekend I'd love to buy a mould and get it fitted out a la Humber Bridge or Radiance. I know the old Alphacraft models are not everyone's cup of tea but you won't find a better boat suited to the Broads (IMHO of course) 

I quite agree Mr Nog, but of course I'm biased.

The old Alphacraft moulds are owned by Barnes Brinkcraft, although it seems that the helm console mould got lost somewhere along the line, which is a great shame, as I don't believe they look as good in ply.

• Like 3

It's interesting, isn't it.

A lot of people consider internal mouldings as 'low end' but I'm with you on this one - A good interior moulding can work really well and I think they age way better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

I thought they'd changed from Viking to Banks Martin a year or two back, or am I wrong?

I thought those were separate businesses. Certainly they're in different areas.

The spiel that I got from the Banks Martin people at the boat show a few years back was that they were founded by a group of people that used to work at Sealine. 

Banks Martin (Beaulieu Boats Limited) were dissolved last year, sadly. Not sure what went on but the prototype they displayed at Excel was missing some parts and it seemed a bit like they pretty badly needed a sale. The boat itself wasn't too bad, actually.  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09641605

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldgregg said:

It's interesting, isn't it.

A lot of people consider internal mouldings as 'low end' but I'm with you on this one - A good interior moulding can work really well and I think they age way better.

Yes, I agree, this is the moulding to which I refer, incorporating the seat and console. (Excuse the curtains, these are the old ones that we only put on in the winter).

IMG-20200202-WA0009 - Copy.jpg

IMG-20200202-WA0074.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Yes, I agree, this is the moulding to which I refer, incorporating the seat and console. (Excuse the curtains, these are the old ones that we only put on in the winter).

IMG-20200202-WA0009 - Copy.jpg

IMG-20200202-WA0074.jpg

Plus Console in Use :default_smile:

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PaulN said:

NBS are agents for Viking. Viking are a small boat builders in Dunmow, Essex. Tingdene Marinas are also Viking agents. They used to great value for money but they have shot up in price in the last few years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

NBS are agents for Viking. Viking are a small boat builders in Dunmow, Essex. Tingdene Marinas are also Viking agents. They used to great value for money but they have shot up in price in the last few years. 

Yes, I know all that, but you are wrong to contradict what I say unfortunately. My sister purchased a new 36 from Barnes Brinkcraft. Using the Alphacraft moulds, owned by BB, it was moulded and being finished at Dunmow by Viking, then covid struck. Fortunately BB transported it to Wroxham the day that Viking shut their factory for the lock down and BB were able to finish it off. I'm sure they then sent the moulds to Banks Martin. Whether or not BB are now moulding the boats  themselves, I don't know.

• Like 3

On 20/06/2024 at 18:48, Captain said:

It does amuse that it says will only pass under Potter rarely which is an understatement yet it says the same for Beccles and Wroxham is fine apparently?

It is quite frustrating as we hired Encore last year because the blurb said it could get under Potter (with a mandatory pilot), and of course it couldn't. Honestly with Potter I don't think I'd go through unless it was a drought with a forecast of westerlies for the next month and a spring tide coming up later in the week, because it could very rapidly end up being a very static boating holiday if you can't get back down through it!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Troyboy said:

You've lost me a bit there Paul. I'm unaware that I contradicted something that you had said. 

Sorry Troyboy. What I was pointing out was that whist BB are agents for Viking's own boats, the BB Heritage 36 was in fact being manufactured at Viking's premises by Viking using BB's moulds, pre covid. I may be wrong, but I think the moulds then went to Banks Martin, although still owned by BB. Not sure where they are now.

My sister sold the new boat within a year and it is now in Richardson's fleet at Stalham,called Bella Donna. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PaulN said:

My sister sold the new boat within a year and it is now in Richardson's fleet at Stalham,called Bella Donna. 

That’s interesting. We knew as soon as we got on board that we wouldn’t ever hire that one again. The head height was lower than anything else we’ve ever been on. We knew in seconds that was going to be an issue for us, before we loaded our bags on or even started the handover.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PaulN said:

Sorry Troyboy. What I was pointing out was that whist BB are agents for Viking's own boats, the BB Heritage 36 was in fact being manufactured at Viking's premises by Viking using BB's moulds, pre covid. I may be wrong, but I think the moulds then went to Banks Martin, although still owned by BB. Not sure where they are now.

No apology needed Paul.

Bella Donna is a Viking 31 and not a 36. I hadn't realised that these boats from Viking were only fitted out by them. It answers a question for me that I was thinking. Having owned a couple of Viking boats one of which was new I would say that the build quality is very much in the cheaper end. Don't get me wrong they are decent little boats for the money but not on the same planet as a Haines. I do think that they have become expensive in the last 3 or so years. That said I would have another in a heartbeat at the right price. They are very cheap to maintain and look after. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troyboy said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . They are very cheap to maintain and look after. 

I’ve got to say that’s not a phrase one usually associates with boat ownership! :facepalm:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 23/06/2024 at 09:28, Troyboy said:

No apology needed Paul.

Bella Donna is a Viking 31 and not a 36. I hadn't realised that these boats from Viking were only fitted out by them. It answers a question for me that I was thinking. Having owned a couple of Viking boats one of which was new I would say that the build quality is very much in the cheaper end. Don't get me wrong they are decent little boats for the money but not on the same planet as a Haines. I do think that they have become expensive in the last 3 or so years. That said I would have another in a heartbeat at the right price. They are very cheap to maintain and look after. 

Sorry, my mistake, yes it's a 31, their current boat is a 36 (fitted out by Haines). Bella Donna was moulded and fitted out by Viking I understand.

• Like 1