Hire Fleet Changes 2024

DAVIDH

5 hours ago, RS2021 said:

Just wondering how the number of people aboard applies to boats going under Ludham Bridge when the river is up...

My best guess is that, at that point, the boat is in the care of the hireyard and so technically off hire? 

• Like 4

Exactly. It's for a very short distance, is going to be done in a sensible and controlled way and is purely for the purpose of briefly increasing the displacement.

I've been on a wherry with a lot more than 10 people aboard when they wanted to get her under Potter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2023 at 19:42, Broads01 said:

Just noticed Herbert Woods are planning to launch Aurora Light next August. Their description makes bold claims but it looks to me like a re-worked Alpha dual steer with extra berths squashed in.

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/book/aurora-light/

I quite like the fact there's some new higher berth/ten berth boats being built, and the layout looks like all cabins are fairly well proportioned mainly as there are only two bathrooms.  The single dinette looks a bit awkward to me, but at least they have made an effort to give everyone a seat I suppose!

The rear twin cabin looks like you would have to pass through/interrupt (could be embarrassing!) the rear double cabin for the loo during the night, but I suppose there is always a compromise that has to be made.

Although really just a stretched Alpha Highliner (from Barnes') with moulded in sundeck I do still quite like this design and they have aged fairly well at around 20 years or so since the first incarnation.

Dan

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dan said:

I quite like the fact there's some new higher berth/ten berth boats being built, and the layout looks like all cabins are fairly well proportioned mainly as there are only two bathrooms.  The single dinette looks a bit awkward to me, but at least they have made an effort to give everyone a seat I suppose!

The rear twin cabin looks like you would have to pass through/interrupt (could be embarrassing!) the rear double cabin for the loo during the night, but I suppose there is always a compromise that has to be made.

Although really just a stretched Alpha Highliner (from Barnes') with moulded in sundeck I do still quite like this design and they have aged fairly well at around 20 years or so since the first incarnation.

Dan

This must be the one that I referred to in my post on 15th Nov? Very similar layout to the Platinum Light that we have booked for end of Sep next year and it's not the hybrid version either.

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

This must be the one that I referred to in my post on 15th Nov? Very similar layout to the Platinum Light that we have booked for end of Sep next year and it's not the hybrid version either.

We were moored at Ranworth earlier this year and two of the Woods hybrids were there at the same time.  They might be quiet underway on electric power, but both were running generators and they do make a din!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We were moored at Ranworth earlier this year and two of the Woods hybrids were there at the same time.  They might be quiet underway on electric power, but both were running generators and they do make a din!

Didn't think they had a generator Malcolm? HW guy didn't mention it when we had a quick look around Platinum Light 1 last year to see what it was like inside.

Chris

We were moored next to a Herbie Woods hybrid thing (sorry can’t remember what the boat was called) in Beccles last October and they started up an engine (generator?) in the morning. It was well after 8am, so no complaints. I was just puzzled why a so-called more environmentally craft would need to run a generator at all as they had been plugged into electric overnight.

I suppose the win is that you have a quieter cruise once your batteries are charged with more of an awareness of bird song etc. I’m still puzzled why they had to run the generator though? 

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Didn't think they had a generator Malcolm? HW guy didn't mention it when we had a quick look around Platinum Light 1 last year to see what it was like inside.

Chris

They were running something.  If it wasn’t a genny, something was making a racket.  Aside from the two of them, the rest of the staithe (which was full) was all quiet and peaceful.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think they're a poor mans Reflection. Must check my Euromillions ticket.......:default_biggrin: 

Ha ha ... actually there's a very nice Shadow 26 for sale at NYA as well. If I had a spare £50k it might well be the one for me.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Ha ha ... actually there's a very nice Shadow 26 for sale at NYA as well. If I had a spare £50k it might well be the one for me.

Just had a browse on the NYA website. The Shadow boats are outstanding quality builds, there is one moored at Swancraft now which is a very recent build, stunning boat. Just not so keen on the canopy and the slightly higher air draught. Those ex Faircraft Loynes ones look to be twins of the Evening Lights, I bet they were all built as a batch. Either way, just need those numbers!

One can dream :default_biggrin: Maybe need to persuade Mrs Nog to drink singles......:default_norty:

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update, I wondered what Silverline would be building for Richardsons next. Interesting and I am being picky here at Richardsons some of the details aren't strictly speaking correct. Broadway 7 was new on hire last year so 8 and 9 are new for 24. The other 20 new boats last year are presumably Silverline which although very nice and some are recent builds I think new to the fleet would be more appropriate. In fact they added 23 in total as Amore 2 and 3 plus Bella Maria were also added last year.

Neil 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Think they still have the half built sedan in one of the sheds, unless they sneaked it out somewhere without me noticing!

With the increasing river levels and decreasing headroom under Ludham Bridge, it’s probably just as well it wasn’t ever finished.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dom said:

Haines had an open day over the weekend and I noticed in the pictures posted on Facebook that Enya appeared to be complete. NYA have just posted a video of her arriving at Brundall in preparation for first hires in April.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=925267475861474

I thought that they should at least have had Orinoco Flow as the background music to that video clip ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

I saw Horning Pleasure craft's new cruiser on the water today. I remember thinking that the Richardson's rX45 designs had brought the old ideas up-to-date but Fleetline looks like a space ship by comparison. I love the two tone hull and superstructure - very classy! A single piece of glass for the electrically operated windscreen is very novel too. Having looked at the internal photos on their website, the interior looks less clinical than a lot of other newer boats (my complaint about most newer designs). I think the upturned forward side windows look a bit aggressive and reduce the light available on the forward cabin but other than that... I absolutely tip my hat to the team at Horning - that is one handsome craft!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/04/2024 at 22:16, catcouk said:

I saw Horning Pleasure craft's new cruiser on the water today. I remember thinking that the Richardson's rX45 designs had brought the old ideas up-to-date but Fleetline looks like a space ship by comparison. I love the two tone hull and superstructure - very classy! A single piece of glass for the electrically operated windscreen is very novel too. Having looked at the internal photos on their website, the interior looks less clinical than a lot of other newer boats (my complaint about most newer designs). I think the upturned forward side windows look a bit aggressive and reduce the light available on the forward cabin but other than that... I absolutely tip my hat to the team at Horning - that is one handsome craft!

Thanks, 

its difficult to produce a new design which isn't like the 'old ones'  the RC45 was said to look like the Alpha 44...

with the CJR46 we kept the rear seat but really tried not to produce the same boat from a different factory.

I takes some people a while to get use to it and Im sure some never will !!

we have a second one available for hire from mid July, we may move that date forward, 

• Like 10