Hire Fleet Changes 2024

DAVIDH

8 hours ago, Bikertov said:

I was thinking more of the model aeroplane engines ... https://www.enya-engine.com/index_E.htm

That's just brought back some memories. I had a couple of RC boats in my youth - one built on the Classic 27 hull, one the Powles 53 - both taken from original prototype testing models. They both had Enya engines. I'm sure the Powles was 25cc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Why, what is the airdraft with the bimmini down ?

It looks like a variant of the Haines 360, but without the flybridge and radar arch.

Indeed she is.

Airdraft is TBC until she has been fitted out and put in the water - Weight of (smaller) engines etc will affect that so it's hard to say for sure at this stage. But certainly they're hoping for no more than 8'6".

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gracie said:

You see this is why I would rather hire a boat that will access most of the Broads system. How can you miss out on that beautiful cruise up to Coltishall Lock, it's my idea of heaven, it really is 

I suppose I could slum it for a long weekend on Enya :default_biggrin: x

Well this is it. I was down at Coltishall a couple of months back in a Bounty bathtub, perfect for that stretch or indeed the run at Geldeston. But on (most of) the southern rivers and on the stretches to / from Breydon I think a dual steer is ideal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Well this is it. I was down at Coltishall a couple of months back in a Bounty bathtub, perfect for that stretch or indeed the run at Geldeston. But on (most of) the southern rivers and on the stretches to / from Breydon I think a dual steer is ideal.

Yep, forward steer boats are great for oop North, dualies are great down sauf.

It's not clear cut though. If I go to Beccles, I tend to want to go to Geldeston as well and I'd rather not worry too much about St Olaves or having to be bang on low water at Great Yarmouth. Centre steers give you the best of both in many ways but don't give you the viewing height of a dualie.

• Like 5

I so agree about the bath tubs as they are affectionately known. They can get almost anywhere on the Broads and there are some really nice ones available. Okay, so not as posh as some but I love them and hired plenty. We hired Dancing Light from HW when she was fairly new and what a beautiful boat she was too x

• Like 7
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Richie said:

There's a few Herbert Woods boats that look like they're leaving the fleet and are up for sale on the Waterside Marine site.

An Amber Light, a Florida Light, a Glistening Light and a Shining Light.

Mind you Hilight is still for sale from last year and the Sparkling Light that also went up for sale at the same time has only just sold.

I saw that these boats were for sale. We hired Hilight about 20 yrs ago. Not a particularly comfortable boat inside. 

Florida Light looks like it could be a good buy. I've only seen the pictures mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Yep, forward steer boats are great for oop North, dualies are great down sauf.

It's not clear cut though. If I go to Beccles, I tend to want to go to Geldeston as well and I'd rather not worry too much about St Olaves or having to be bang on low water at Great Yarmouth. Centre steers give you the best of both in many ways but don't give you the viewing height of a dualie.

There is a 7/8 berth dual steer that will go almost everywhere (except through Potter these days). I've taken one through Wroxham at 6ft 7in and reckon there was at least 3 or 4 inches to spare at the shoulders. The same boat needs 7ft at flat bridges.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Troyboy said:

I saw that these boats were for sale. We hired Hilight about 20 yrs ago. Not a particularly comfortable boat inside. 

Florida Light looks like it could be a good buy. I've only seen the pictures mind.

We hired Hilight when it was about a year old, from Russell Marine at South Walsham.  She was in beautiful condition then and had been built to a near private boat spec.  Sadly, she’s not worn the intervening years well.

• Like 1

Florida light is a good little boat around 40 years old and originally operated by Kingline as New Florida Queen however Woods appears to have made some effort to upgrade the interior fairly recently. The flooring,  galley and parts of the saloon and upholstery have all been replaced/upgraded. It still has the Bmc engine though.

Surprised Shining light is for sale as she dates from around 2000 a relatively new member of their classic fleet. I do believe they have atleast one new boat in build to replace and those for sale I imagine will help finance a sister to Platinum without the hybrid bits so I understand. I also saw a shell for a Starlight not sure whether it's a day cruiser or a 2 berth or indeed even a private build.  In theory the fleet will drop from 124 boats to 121/2 depending on how many new builds they have.

Neil

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Captain said:

I do believe they have atleast one new boat in build to replace and those for sale I imagine will help finance a sister to Platinum without the hybrid bits so I understand.

Neil

They are indeed building another Platinum class boat and when we booked our 2nd holiday with them for next year the lady in reception did mention it and that it will not be a hybrid version and should be ready for the new season in 2024.

Chris

• Like 3

6 hours ago, webntweb said:

There is a 7/8 berth dual steer that will go almost everywhere (except through Potter these days). I've taken one through Wroxham at 6ft 7in and reckon there was at least 3 or 4 inches to spare at the shoulders. The same boat needs 7ft at flat bridges.

Not sure which boat you mean specifically, Roy but I do like low level dual steers like the Af38s and Alpha 42s, another best of both worlds option. They were built in reasonable numbers around the early 90s but seemed to fall out of fashion quite quickly as far as new builds were concerned. I'm not really sure why that was.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, oldgregg said:

he Diamond is a clever design but not the ideal boat for those of us over 6ft.

My elder daughter is 6ft 1 and seems to struggle with headroom no matter what the boat, Lowliner included. I'm only an inch shorter and yet rarely have a problem. I think all hireboats were designed assuming no human could possibly be more than 6ft tall:default_rolleyes:.

• Like 3

On 16/11/2023 at 19:43, Broads01 said:

My elder daughter is 6ft 1 and seems to struggle with headroom no matter what the boat, Lowliner included. I'm only an inch shorter and yet rarely have a problem. I think all hireboats were designed assuming no human could possibly be more than 6ft tall:default_rolleyes:.

It is a bit of a problem. I'm 6'2 so have hit my head on boat doorframes far too many times over the years.

The other issue is that beds used to be a bit on the short side. I certainly won't be hiring a Safari 25 anytime soon.. 

• Like 2

Phoenix told me Yesterday that they took 1 hire boat through the bridge this year so id say its specifically Wroxham bridge which is the focus when looking to hire a low air draft boat on the Northern broads.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1