Meantime

49 minutes ago, Gracie said:

If you get MT to change his profile pic, could you also get him to change his joke book? :default_biggrin: x

No Gracie no! I will not be changing my profile pic to a picture of a glass of Prosecco! :default_smiley-taunt014:

I'll have you know I have plenty of joke books, only the Mods won't let me post the good ones :default_eusa_naughty::default_coat:

There's at least 500 still awaiting authorisation. I still post them because at least the Mods get to see the good ones. :default_rofl:

I'm only joking by the way!

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Meantime said:

only the Mods won't let me post the good ones :default_eusa_naughty::default_coat:

There's at least 500 still awaiting authorisation.

You may be joking on that one but the jokes thread shows a lot of mine outlined in red as not allowed, can't imagine why... :default_smiley-angelic002: :default_biggrin:

34 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I still post them because at least the Mods get to see the good ones. :default_rofl:

I'm hoping that bit rings true or my avatar will be too accurate.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, LizG said:

I enjoyed two tours of the Meantime Brewery! (Before they sold out though)

I've enjoyed a tour of the brewery and also been to the bar a few times. If your in that part of the world there's a very good Nepalese restaurant called The Mountain View not too far away.

I'm finding myself becoming increasingly annoyed at the actions of the big brewers. Generally small craft brewers tend to sell beers at a premium which reflects their smaller economies of scale, lower production volumes and higher overheads. All of which I can accept and don't mind paying a premium for a premium or craft, or small batch product. However increasingly the bigger boys are coming along, buying up the brewery and then suddenly production goes up tenfold, quality suffers and the price stays the same, generating huge profits for the brewery until people migrate away from the beer due to inferior quality.

A classic example is Neck Oil from Beavertown brewery. It was started by Robert Plants son. Certainly was never sold at a cheap price and was only offered in a few places. Heineken came along and bought 49% of the brewery and production ramped up. Then Heineken bought the remaining 51% of the shares and expanded production again to the point where it is pretty much everywhere. The taste and quality has suffered, but the economies of scale and massive profits being made are not being reflected in a lower more mainstream price.

Heineken have done the same 49% then 51% trick with the Brixton Brewery and again it is appearing everywhere at a premium price tag.

Meantime, excuse the pun, Meantime beers are now past their prime and the star is fading as people realise the mass production has led to a drop in quality and are seeking other small craft beer producers.

• Like 1

I'm rather upset that the Concrete Cow brewery in Milton Keynes has shut down. It was a small operation and the brewer's partner (one of my friends) told me that he had to fold up the business when his rent doubled overnight. 

• Sad 2

"I'll have a pint of Red gov".

You could see through it. Always a good sign. Tasted good. None of this silly froth business. No bits in it. What ever pub with Red Barrel it was always the same. The more you drank the better it became.

I drank gallons of it. Everyone perfect, never cloudy, no dregs, just a good wholesome pint.

Never ever cloudy, there was a degree of confidence in what you were getting. 

What ever pub you were in.

Now, funny names, Old Glug, Up your nose, Crafty, Wicked, Old Dredging.

What are we drinking, who knows?

We need guidance from the forum.

Old Wussername.

Founder member of the Watney Red Barrel Association. 

Membership stagnant at this moment in time but open to membership for those of like minding appreciation and recognition of a good wholesome pint. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Wussername said:

You could see through it. Always a good sign. Tasted good. None of this silly froth business. No bits in it. What ever pub with Red Barrel it was always the same. The more you drank the better it became.

I drank gallons of it. Everyone perfect, never cloudy, no dregs, just a good wholesome pint.

Likewise! :default_beerchug: Back in the day it was a good reliable pint of "falling over water" (if you drank enough!).  There used to be a pub in Rugby called The Wine Barrel". Strangely it sold more Watney's Red Barrel than wine!

Chris

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wussername said:

Never ever cloudy, there was a degree of confidence in what you were getting. 

What ever pub you were in.

Now, funny names, Old Glug, Up your nose, Crafty, Wicked, Old Dredging.

What are we drinking, who knows?

We need guidance from the forum.

Old Wussername.

Founder member of the Watney Red Barrel Association. 

Membership stagnant at this moment in time but open to membership for those of like minding appreciation and recognition of a good wholesome pint. 

Maybe we should look to a merger between youselves and ourselves " The Ind Coope Double Diamond Club" our membership is actually falling as members fall off their branch. 

The Gate in Northwood during Summer 1966 could not be bettered for a pint of lovely DD.

23 hours ago, Wussername said:

You could see through it. Always a good sign.

As in it wasn't cloudy.

The only thing that was a sign of was the gnats that produced it didn't have a urine infection! 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

As in it wasn't cloudy.

The only thing that was a sign of was the gnats that produced it didn't have a urine infection! 

It took me a while to work out but the penny finally dropped.

• Haha 1