New Here

I am new here. Please do not think my user name has any nautical connotations. I was Royal Air Force navigator.

Been hiring boats on the broads twice a year since the pandemic. Never at height of season though.

Live in Norfolk about 40 minutes from where we pick the boat up.

In R.A.F any landing you walk from is good, so they say, same could be said for my mooring!

Thank you to the other boaters for all the help and advice when starting out, which mainly came from the private owners.

Just myself, my wife and our Greyhound Maisie on the boat. Enjoying fresh air, good pubs and great people.

• Like 7

Warm welcome to the forum. We used to have two greyhounds (who werent overly keen on boating. We now have a nutty ginger whippet who prefers the boat to home.  :)

• Like 1

:default_welcome:
Welcome to the forum. We have a couple of dogs who love the Broads too…a collie we’ve had since a puppy and a rescue dog that we found on the river bank just outside Norwich about 18 months ago. Amazingly, our rescue dog Pozzick is a fairly chilled out dude, whereas our collie Seren is completely nutty.

Mooring up is always the most challenging bit. Practice makes perfect…at least that’s what I keep telling myself. :default_rofl:

• Like 1

Welcome from someone who worked on the equipment that tracked you in the skies or later worked on / instructed on the equipment in your nose.. ( if you flew in an ADV).

https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

Ps remember the air navigation regulations are not the same as sailing regulations:default_icon_e_biggrin: we had a British pilot in Saudi who caused chaos during sailing by using the wrong set of rules!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the welcome folks. Appreciated. To answer some questions asked. No you can’t say RAF and Navigator together, not now as the role of Navigator is defunct some years ago. 
Yes you probably did track me and ensured the upfront gubbins worked. I actually spent most of the time in training. Not because I was c**p at navigating but because I taught it, before some one leaps in there👍

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Ps remember the air navigation regulations are not the same as sailing regulations:default_icon_e_biggrin: we had a British pilot in Saudi who caused chaos during sailing by using the wrong set of rules!!!

was he trying to use tallest boat has right of way?

• Like 1

A warm welcome from me too. My dad served in the R.A.F. during WW2. A pilot friend of ours told us that it was deemed right to bounce a bit when coming in to land. But I don't think that applies to boats though.

Carole

• Like 2

I believe my Nautical skills must come from my father, also ex RAF, who back in the 1950’s had a broads sailing holiday with ex RAF chums. Wishing to moor at Potter Heigham he spied a police constable on the bank with a bicycle.
My asks if he could help them moor and throw a rope to the officer, who promptly threw it back saying “Tie one end to the boat first idiot, er Sir!”

My Grandfather served in the Royal Navy from late 1800’s until the First World War when he was invalided out as he was wounded in the Dardanelles. Apparently getting wounded in the Dardanelles really brings tears to your eyes. 

That sums up the maritime history of my family. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grendel said:

was he trying to use tallest boat has right of way?

No he used both boats turn away to starboard when approaching head to head..   but both boats were sailing boats..

• Like 1