Wroxham Bridge Height

Happy

28 minutes ago, Roy said:

Yesterday it was nearly 7ft 

The online height gauge at Hoveton Broad has been offline since 10th May and it was max 6 1/2ft then, sounds like I missed out on a trip to Coltishall! 

https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/station/6211  If it shows 0.38 here the bridge height is 6ft 9" which saves a trip all the way to Wroxham or trying to squint at the Brinkcraft webcam!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/station/6211  If it shows 0.38 here the bridge height is 6ft 9" which saves a trip all the way to Wroxham or trying to squint at the Brinkcraft webcam!

It's interesting that you're extrapolating bridge clearance from a river level sensor. I've wondered for a while now why Project Troll don't do this to provide coverage of Ludham and Wroxham bridges.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dom said:

It's interesting that you're extrapolating bridge clearance from a river level sensor. I've wondered for a while now why Project Troll don't do this to provide coverage of Ludham and Wroxham bridges.

I've forgotten who it was now but I learnt this trick from another forum member.

Thanks to you all.  We were hoping to get to Coltishall for probably the first and last time in a "bathtub" but the height given is 7'1" so it looks like a no no.  What a shame :default_rolleyes:

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Happy said:

Thanks to you all.  We were hoping to get to Coltishall for probably the first and last time in a "bathtub" but the height given is 7'1" so it looks like a no no.  What a shame :default_rolleyes:

Don't give up yet!  Call the pilot as there's often a bit of leeway in the given heights.  Officially mine is 7ft and I get through comfortably at 6ft 9, reckon I could squeeze though a couple of inches lower with a change of underwear afterwards!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Even Nyx can get under at 7' 1" , and I'm sure I'm taller than a bathtub.

• Like 1

This may be incorrect info, but could explain why the airdraft of a boat may not be the absolute measurement for passing under Wroxham Bridge.  My thinking is that the airdraft is the overall height, which would apply for passage under a squared off bridge, such as Ludham or Wayford.  Wroxham, being an arch is higher at the centre, so passage is more dependent of the shape of the superstructure and the fall off to the sides.

Im sure someone will tell me that I’m wrong, but it does seem logical to me.  I was giving this theory some thought, as one of the owners on Moonlight Shadow went through Wroxham Bridge on Saturday (Pilot at the helm) with the height gauge showing 6ft 7ins.  The airdraft of MS is 6ft 10ins and that seems accurate, especially when one passes under Wayford Bridge with 7ft on the marker and there seems little more than a fag paper between the nav light on the canopy and the bridge.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

This may be incorrect info, but could explain why the airdraft of a boat may not be the absolute measurement for passing under Wroxham Bridge.  My thinking is that the airdraft is the overall height, which would apply for passage under a squared off bridge, such as Ludham or Wayford.  Wroxham, being an arch is higher at the centre, so passage is more dependent of the shape of the superstructure and the fall off to the sides.

Im sure someone will tell me that I’m wrong, but it does seem logical to me.  I was giving this theory some thought, as one of the owners on Moonlight Shadow went through Wroxham Bridge on Saturday (Pilot at the helm) with the height gauge showing 6ft 7ins.  The airdraft of MS is 6ft 10ins and that seems accurate, especially when one passes under Wayford Bridge with 7ft on the marker and there seems little more than a fag paper between the nav light on the canopy and the bridge.

There is something in this I think. Sure someone, possibly Strowager, did quite an in depth study into this. I wouldn't know where to find it though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NeilB said:

I've forgotten who it was now but I learnt this trick from another forum member.

It was possibly me. I have made a note of the EA gauge a number of times when I have been able to get under the bridge and some times when I haven't. The lower the water level the less often the EA gauge updates. I think by default every 24hrs when its working, then more frequently if there is risk of flooding, when it can be every 30 mins. Even when the reading is only every 24 hrs, if you download the data you will still find the readings every 30mins, it just updates the webpage every 2hrs.

Below are the readings I have recorded. They are not always consistent, but accurate enough for my needs. This maybe why project Troll doesn't use this method. I think the amount of rain and thus ebb through the bridge can raise the level under the bridge, more so than downstream where the gauge is, where presumably the water has spread out a bit into Wroxham and Hoveton Great Broads, once thru the bridge.

Wroxham bridge

.38 is 6ft 9ins

.33 is 7ft

.36 is 6ft10ins 2 hrs after reading

.41 is 6ft 8in

.40 is 6ft 9ins

.29 is 7ft 3ins

.34 is 6ft 11ins

.48 is 6ft 7ins 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the Bure gauge at Hoveton Broad it is currently showing as last updated at 7:30am 13th May which I think is the normal time of day it updates every 24hrs, but if you download the data it will actually show readings every 15mins up to 6:30am GMT. So if you pass the bridge today and make a note of the time you pass, then download the data after 7:30am tomorrow, you should be able to get a reference for what the EA gauge was recording when you passed.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.25a9f995b496e1330879471323ac6c53.jpg

4 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Perhaps Auntie Jean could have a stroll down there :default_biggrin:

Ha ha  … it’s a beautiful day. If I wasn’t working I would have been there. Might take a look at lunchtime. Are you out with Bridgecraft again?

• Like 1

Blimey, I don't understand the half of it Alan :default_biggrin:

Phone the Pilot when you arrive in Norfolk to find out if you have any chance of getting through, if not, you can plan another route.

I so hope you get through the bridge though, it's stunning. For me, one of the best cruises on the whole system

Good luck :default_icon_kiss:

Grace x

• Like 3

I think they may be the draft for Potter heigham, I can do Wroxham at 6 foot, but need 6 foot 3" at PH, because of the corners of the roof, PH is the tighter Arch, so generally there would be more leeway at Wroxham,  and the measurement is not the maximum available- its the height at a certain width of boat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Blimey, I don't understand the half of it Alan :default_biggrin:

Phone the Pilot when you arrive in Norfolk to find out if you have any chance of getting through, if not, you can plan another route.

I so hope you get through the bridge though, it's stunning. For me, one of the best cruises on the whole system

Good luck :default_icon_kiss:

Grace x

Thanks for that Grace.  I'll feel even more peed off it I can't get through now! :default_biggrin:  It seems to be the actual pilot on the day who decides so I will 'phone Saturday morning and make other plans if required as you have suggested :default_icon_luvlove:

• Like 1
  • Love 1