How often do Private and Hiring Company services there engines in a season? As I do know Griff service Broad Ambition regularly to keep the engine in prime condition. Do the others like the Private Boats and Hiring yards do the same?

• Like 1

Marine engines have service schedules based on a combination of time or hours run.  I.E.  Yearly or every 200 hours, whichever comes first.  Hire boats are usually serviced on hours run due to the amount of use they get.  The service items and hours vary between manufacturers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

More  like once a season talking to people that do.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Adding to my last comment anything with Perkins written on it used to get two a season because they used to sludge up.

Dependant on the system they use. if oil changes by suction, with filter change 25 to 30 mins. Fuel filter 5 mins. Check belts 3 minutes, change belt, 15 mins. so most can be done whilst oil being removed an 30- 35 minutes.

It’s usually only oil and filters during the season, not every hire boat does the same amount of hours so they don’t all occur the same week!  More comprehensive service is carried out over winter.

I noticed our dealers have been using suction pumps which go directly to a large container.  Gave one a go and as long as the oil was warm it emptied the engine a lot faster than the traditional hand pump fitted to some engines.  Can also be used for spills in the drip tray etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

More  like once a season talking to people that do.

I do not appreciate your ridicule.

A hire boat on a turn-round day will will have a series of routine checks by a mechanic :

Levels of engine oil, cooling water, gearbox oil,  belt tension, belt condition, flow of water through water pump, cleaning of raw water filters, visual inspection of stern gland, bilge pump, battery levels, and many other routines. Running up engine and actually driving the boat to the diesel quay for topping up with diesel, water and toilet pumpout. During this, he will immediately notice if there is anything strange about the handling : something round the propeller, lack of oil in the steering. While doing this he will be noticing if the water pump is running frequently, which indicates a possible water leak (which will also drain the batteries). 

Full inspection of all equipment in the boat : TV, lighting, inverter, toilets (especially electric ones), Gas cooker, fridge, deck gear including lifebuoys ; function of sliding canopy.

All this will take an experienced boatyard mechanic about an hour, if nothing is found wrong. 

Fuel filters are changed in winter and once every season. Oil is changed according to engine hours  and filters are changed every second oil change. These changes will be noted on the paperwork for the boat, so that the mechanic knows when it  is time for the change.

What better "service" do you want than that??

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I do not appreciate your ridicule.

I read that as those that do themselves as in privte owners, you need a thicker skin Vaughan as you seem to jump on too much as anti hire yard when a lot is nothing of the like, I realise you've spent lots of years defending the industry but it's not all aimed at the industry as privates are now a lot more prevalent. (not a dig in any way just an observation)

Mine is done in phases depending on how much work it's done, sometimes it's oil and filter every other season if it's not done much work but what it has done has got it hot, not needed to change a fuel filter for ages since changing the tanks but always treat the fuel OTT for the dreaded bug.

I would recon a hire boats with a lot of use needs less regular oil change as they run long hours and keep the oil hot enough to keep the moisture out.

I work on light aircraft engines and the biggest killer is lack of use and the camshafts/tappets rust and pit as the oil gets full of condensation, flying school planes do much better.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I would recon a hire boats with a lot of use needs less regular oil change as they run long hours and keep the oil hot enough to keep the moisture out.

It's not just moisture, there's a multitude of contaminants that can build up during usage, you can get fuel, soot and engine wear particles.  Over time oil can loose it's lubricity which can increase the rate of wear.  Some high usage vessels have regular oil samples taken, this can be used to prolong time between oil changes to reduce costs and down time plus will also detect any unusual changes before an engine goes bang!  You can then plan engine changes, rebuilds etc around whatever the business needs are.

Personally I change oil and filter as per recommended hours or once a year regardless of hours.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Vaughan, would you reckon that's the case in today's larger boatyards, I'm thinking of the big three.

I would think it has to be the case. They have a big investment in those boats!  Don't forget I used to work for Richardsons, back in the mid 70s.  Their organisation comes from years of tradition and I can honestly say that I learned almost all I know about running a big hire fleet, from them.

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I realise you've spent lots of years defending the industry

Someone has to, on this forum, unfortunately.  I may as well tell you that my good friends in the business don't wish to be part of this platform as they consider it inherently anti hire boat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

as they consider it inherently anti hire boat.

That is not a description of the forum I recognise.

I see many recommendations for all the hire fleets from members.

The vast majority of businesses don't interact with third party social media sites because they are marketing through their own pages, usually on Facebook and the like.These are only used to push product and they can control feedback. They don't have the time or staff to interact on forums. It is worth noting that two of our longest standing sponsors run hire fleets.

• Like 7

I really don't see this platform as anti hire. I must admit to seeing posts in the past that would suggest that it is but I've also seen posts that veer towards anti private.

We must never forget we are all equal on the rivers whether we own or hire. 

I have every respect for the hire yards and what they do for their customers as I do for private owners who, although probably broke :default_biggrin: love and care for their boats with a passion

I am a hirer (of sorts at the moment) and proud :default_biggrin:

Have a great week

Grace x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Someone has to, on this forum, unfortunately.  I may as well tell you that my good friends in the business don't wish to be part of this platform as they consider it inherently anti hire boat.

This is sad, and mostly a matter of perception. 

It will come as no surprise to anyone, that I, personally do not sense any "anti hire" attitude from this forum, but from my own perspective can understand how someone in the hire business can.

I say "from my perspective" as I feel it necessary to have a defensive attitude towards some members here and their posts regarding liveaboards. 

Of hire fleets, ( especially the large ones ) there are many posts regarding battery condition, quality of initial training and similar issues. This is why I asked Vaughan if he felt the larger yards were performing to the high standards he listed. His opinion is that they do, so ok, fair enough. 

As I said at the start of this post, it's all a matter of perception. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I certainly do not see this forum as "Anti-hire". Kath & I joined when we hired and gained some very valuable knowledge from members. We are now fortunate (or daft enough) to own our own boat and we still use the forum as one of our primary sources of all things Norfolk Broads.

To answer Andrew's initial query, we have the engines and outdrives serviced annually (2 x Mercruiser D6) but check oil, coolant, fuel filters, belts, etc., prior to every outing. When we're on the boat but decide not to venture out, we always run the engines up until at temperature / oil pressure and check the engine bay for leaks, noises, etc. 

We did about 80 hours cruising last season, I doubt we'll exceed that figure this year.

• Like 2

I service mine every 200 hours, (or annually) as per the manufacturers recommendations. Interestingly, looking at the log, we've done approx 200 taco hours each year for the last 3 years! :default_stinky:

Hi Andrew define a service. If you mean a private boat engine a oil change with a filter every year regardless too how many hours it has run is essential. The oil is the life blood of a engine. then a check of fan/drive belt coolant level etc.before you drive off for the. John

• Like 2

I too don’t feel the forum is anti hireboats at all.

Someone commenting every now and again on the state of a rope or whatever is just stating a fact they saw, not yard bashing. I think the same comments are written about privately owned boats as well, including our own. (I speak for my own pride and joy, however  much paint is flaking off there)!

I owe all my enjoyment with SR to the fact that someone owning a hireboat company allowed me loose on their very expensive piece of machinery in the first place, as probably many of us do. 
When I became more involved in what make the Broads ‘tick’ and was looking for more information etc, I read all the forums and Facebook groups. I chose this forum as it seemed the most balanced, factual and friendly. 
Long may that continue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I only do daily checks before a sea trip, oil and coolant levels and a general glance around to see anything obvious or wet and a quick feel of the belts and hoses around sea cocks.

On the rivers I do occasional checks when the floor boards are up, how often do you check the oil level on your car before doing a 5 mile trip?

This thread has certainly made me think.

I had the engine serviced on A Frayed Knot by Jones when she was out the water for the winter, including the impeller being changed.

But since she has gone back in, all I have done is to check that water is being pumped out the back from the exhaust when the engine is running, and that the bilge is not getting too full.

I think I need to look at Vaughan's checklist, and put something together on a crib sheet for routine tasks to undertake