High Time For A High Boat

It's high time I hired something a bit different, and it's a high boat indeed, Belmore TC from Barnes Brinkcraft. It's an early alarm call in the morning and I'm off with mini dog Suzie for my third and final trip of the year. It'll be just Suzie and I for the first two nights before we're joined on Monday by my elder daughter Keira for the remainder of the week. Loose plan is head south Sunday pm, pick Keira up from Brundall station Monday, Beccles Tuesday, back north late Wednesday for some Thurne and Bure pootling Thursday and Friday. Chances of passing under Ludham accepted as near zero. Give us a wave if you see us. 

• Like 16
  • Love 1

I know they're longer than the original 30DS they evolved from. Did Barnes not ballast them more to reduce the airdraft?

Hope you have a good week. Judging by the forecast, you may have timed it just right. This week's been ridiculous. We even had hail in Cambs, so presume Norfolk got the same. Fingers crossed, looks like some sun and warmer conditions on the cards for next week.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure belmore tc is based on a princess 30ds and I wouldn't be banking on getting under ludham bridge any time soon and I'm guessing belmore is lacking in engine weight (mine weigh a ton between them) and unless you’ve drunk enough to do a proper job on the holding tank it won't happen. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm pretty sure belmore tc is based on a princess 30ds and I wouldn't be banking on getting under ludham bridge any time soon and I'm guessing belmore is lacking in engine weight (mine weigh a ton between them) and unless you’ve drunk enough to do a proper job on the holding tank it won't happen. 

I think you are right and an ex Moores boat from when Barnes bought them out.

Fred

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

I think you are right and an ex Moores boat from when Barnes bought them out.

Officially they're called a Moores Bravo 31. Moores took the original Princess 30DS moulding, cut the transom out and added an extension with built in steps to make it more user friendly for hire use - adding a foot or so to the length in the process.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dom said:

Officially they're called a Moores Bravo 31. Moores took the original Princess 30DS moulding, cut the transom out and added an extension with built in steps to make it more user friendly for hire use - adding a foot or so to the length in the process.

Yes saw them working on them in our hiring days.

Fred

• Like 2

Thanks all for your good wishes. I'm going to blog as I go as normal but just a few notes and then write up later. Takes too long to write up properly and wastes too much precious boat time!

Very successful, very fun day.

Left home 0648, one stop of 20 mins, arrived Roy's 1155.

Boatyard 13-40, boat ready, ultra-brief handover, away 14-40.

Warm sun, brief mudweight on Wroxham Broad, drifted in the wind and upped sticks, St Benedicts Church for tonight 16-30. 

Fun Great Yarmouth/Breydon traverse tomorrow (hopefully).

20240914_155331.jpg

20240914_161509.jpg

20240914_171600.jpg

20240914_171631.jpg

20240914_175215.jpg

20240914_181153.jpg

• Like 14
  • Love 2

Minor disaster 10-30 last night around high water, made the mistake of trying to carry Suzie off the boat for a pee, underestimated the slippery mud and ended up crashing my shoulder on to the wooden piling. Very painful and much affected sleep but thankfully improved during today. Why are the Reedham Ferry moorings always muddy?

Beautiful sunshine today, up river with the tide as far as Rockland Staithe. About 3 hours peaceful rest there (lovely) then to Brooms to meet Keira at Brundall station. Night pre-booked at the Surlingham Ferry House, lovely food as always. By chance moored next to forum member John (Old Gregg) and had a good catchup.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Why are the Reedham Ferry moorings always muddy?

That’s always put me off mooring there. We like Hardley Cross or Hardley Mill.

By the way, does anyone know whether the electric posts on the Mill pontoon have been fixed or renewed? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Why are the Reedham Ferry moorings always muddy?

Sorry to hear about that Simon. We moored along that stretch in February and it was like a paddy field, real wellies job. I guess the tide comes over regularly and it is quite low lying. I was looking at the mooring in front of the pub (near the Ferry) a few days ago. The mooring posts have gone but there are metal rings attached to the quay heading so I assume you can moor on that bit, not sure if they charge. But it's a bit more of a solid mooring (if there's room of course) 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Sorry to hear about that Simon. We moored along that stretch in February and it was like a paddy field, real wellies job. I guess the tide comes over regularly and it is quite low lying. I was looking at the mooring in front of the pub (near the Ferry) a few days ago. The mooring posts have gone but there are metal rings attached to the quay heading so I assume you can moor on that bit, not sure if they charge. But it's a bit more of a solid mooring (if there's room of course) 

It wasn't far off a paddy field on Sunday night, especially after a modest rain shower. Yes I'll either try the hard standing next time (a boat came in there after we'd arrived) or else not bother.

• Like 2

First stop Norwich today to the mooring near Morrisons.

Chugged up to Pull's Ferry then back to Bramerton common for a bit.

Pm to Langley Dyke via cruise through Surlingham Broad (weeds covering lots of it) and a water stop at Brooms.

Pre-booked Langley Dyke and we're the only boat here.

20240917_190820.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 1