Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

WARNING: This post may contain the "F" word..

Today we;

Finished the gas system. (we are going to test it tomorrow) 

Finished the electrics. (Dave tested most of it but I want to run round and test it all tomorrow)

Finished the bilge pumps.

Finished diesel system (installed the second fuel filter) and test fired the engine.. It's nice to hear it running again. Unfortunately the rev counter still isn't working but dave took the alternator off and noticed there's more plugs than on the wiring diagram so google time.. hopefully it's just incorrect wiring.

The water systems (fresh and loo) are also in, we don't really want to test this as it's too cold really but it should all work.

We had Dave's mum over and she played around a bit more with the curtains, she's also taken patterns so she can finish off at home.  I also had my boss from work visit and seemed impressed.

Tomorrow try the engine again. I want to measure up for the foam and get that ordered so we can get on with covering those (We are going to cover ourselves for now).  We are also going to collect some fire extinguishers  (I need to order some labels) then I can get the BSC sorted (Probably a couple of weeks now). 

No pictures but there's not much to show really with these bits.. 

• Like 4

Dunno about the "F" words, but I wid say mair like the "G" word!! Great young Alan, Great work, well done :dance  Did I say GREAT...well a few WEE odds n ends then its intae the water with a brill project. "Great" init Alan.? :dance

Soon be time to plan your first trip on the Broads. :party:  :party:  :party:

Now go and do what Grace said, have a few bottles of Wherry! :naughty: You deserve them. :clap

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Allan,

I`ve let you down without realising.

In my dads neighbours garage is a large roll of black marine (waterproof ?) carpet. It feels harder than usual carpet, as it was given to me by my father in law, who used to work at Sunseekers down here in Poole. My dad lives in Gravesend, so if we`re up there before you tranport her to the Broads, you`re welcome to it if you want it. I`d forgotten all about it, as i`ve had it for a few years, so i`m hoping his neighbour still has it in his garage.I`l give my dad a call tomorrow, and find out if it`s still there.

• Like 1

Sorry Guys, We had a boat load of visitors this evening so I quickly wrote that when no one was looking! And I am a bit annoyed that the alternators not working, although we googled and it looks like Dave didn't connect the panel correctly (it shouldn't have damaged it) so we will try again tomorrow. 

It is great Iain! There's lots of little jobs left but I it's nothing compared to what we have done so far and I don't see many weekends left.. I so can't wait to have my weekends back! 

Neil that sounds brilliant, we could still do with a little bit of carpet, although I'd ideally like to have a carpet which we can remove for the winter (That teak flooring although is nice it's ice cold at the moment). We will also use on the other boat to, so if its up for grabs we will certainly give it a good home.. cheers:) 

Ok better updates tomorrow cheers

• Like 5

Good news, rofl 

Dave worked out the alternator connections and refitted the alternator and thankfully the panel and alternator are both fine and working!! :trophy 

We revved the engine up and its ok, Dave said it has a of air in the system as its not responding perfectly and he wants to adjust the tappets. It was starting on the key though after first click :party:

But it's the strangest feeling hearing the engine going and feeling the movements through the hull, we've clearly spent alot of time on the boat so we get used to the boat just being a plastic box.. but by having the engine running really brings the boat to life and starts to feel like something other than a shed, it's a very magical thing and I don't think you can fully get me unless you've done a project like this (hopefully you guys can understand if you followed it). :Stinky It's a shame we have to switch it off though and carry on with the other bits.. I really want to go play now!! Although it was on for 20 mins (and it warmed up ok) so the engine hours on the taco now read that :cry  (it's nice to see zero hours on the clock!).

Also we Finished the diesel heater, we have put it in as so it draws the air from outside (although we went for the wheelhouse) instead of recirculate which should just help to bring in some fresh(ish) norfolk air. Rather alarmingly on the first click of the switch it did nothing so after scratching some heads :pcwhack: , dave noticed the top plug wasn't all the way in :taunt: , so take 2 we get some lights and the sound of a fan, although no heat.. hmm.. Error code: 1 (no fuel).. It's self priming though so third attempt and it fired up! :trophy 

We left on for a bit and tried out the thermostate and it's all good (although it won't be used until Tom at JPC just looks over it for us when we get up there, just to make sure its all good.. Seems it though..)

Finally, we tried the gas system and yup there's a leak somewhere so dave will need to return to that when there's daylight. But it's a very simple system with only a couple of connectors and all hosing visible (and a bubble tester too) so it will be something silly.  two guns

Not a bad day.. I did take a video of the engine running but I'll try and work out how to share.. if it came out..   

Next weeks instalments:

- I'm going to order the foam for inside so we will get that cut to shape then sent off to Daves poor mum who has volunteered to make them (she's doing a good job with the curtains).

- Get the table made up.

- Hopefully get the gas system sorted.

- Do a mock BSS and make sure everything is arranged for that (I need to waste a few quid on some pointless stickers :shocked)  

• Like 5

Yes Grace, I know what you are saying and I think this project has been different from the others  :clap ( I maybe wrong, but I think Alan will tell me if I am). This is for them to enjoy the Broads when they want to :bow .

I think the Broads has a ghostly spell over everyone to make us all return and to love and feel free cruising the waterway  :kiss .

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

• Like 2

As it's warmed up now (well it's above freezing :summertime:  but the sun came out)

I decided (Ok was told to by Dave) to paint the sterndrive. Over the summer we sourced the missing bits (i.e the nose-cone and bits for the steering bits), unfortunately though these bits needed sanding back and started from fresh... Thankfully though they was small enough so it didn't take long. So yup today I sanded these bits back, got a bit of epoxy on them (more on me as usual...!), thankfully the grey middle coat needs to go on as it's drying so I was able to get these all the way ready for the final spray which was nice! (see pics).. Whilst I was doing this I also spray coated the main sterndrive and steering yoke (it needs three coats though), it's a bit cold for this though so I'll probably do two coats and we will do the final coat just before it goes to norfolk, but lets see how it goes off. We have put inside where the heaters been on so it should cure well overnight.

Whilst I was waiting for this to go off, I sanded back the hull repair which I impatiently primed a few months ago and the surveyor noticed and told me to sand back and put a few coats of epoxy on and because I erm mixed up just enough to do both jobs  :dunce:  (Or over mixed)... it seemed the perfect time to do it... least it's done I was starting to wonder when we would find good weather to do it.. tomorrow looks ok too so I'll do another coat tomorrow..

Whilst I was doing all this hard painting work Dave was busy inside (Well in between, as he would say.. "bringing me paint brushes and paint :rolleyes:" ... He installed the flywheel plate and run the engine up to make sure it's balanced which it seems so. Fixed the gas leak and tested it.. all good (All Finished!) :clap . Finished the bilge pumps! He tested the boats fresh water system which was nice to see.. it only had a couple of leaks on the hot water tank one fixed the system held pressure and it's a very powerful system. We didn't let the engine get warm enough to test the hot water but there's no reason it wont get warm.  He had to drain all the water out though as I don't want any fresh water left in there just in case...

I did some measuring up so I can comfortably order the foam and the boats name now. 

Finally we played with the heating.. reading the manual I noticed we put the internal temperature sensor up high whereas it should be mid way so I have to rip that out and remove it.. grrr. (the manual really is crap.. this was in the small print) We then tried the heating but Dave noticed the exhaust had a leak (he noticed last week but wasn't sure), so that was taken out and resealed with more sealant.. it needs time to dry so early evening..  :bow

Couple of pics attached..

post-28066-0-60782400-1423333875_thumb.j

post-28066-0-93101700-1423333886_thumb.j

post-28066-0-52320200-1423333894_thumb.j

post-28066-0-75807200-1423333903_thumb.j

post-28066-0-15206800-1423333913_thumb.j

• Like 7

Geez it's starting to feel like spring..it was lovely down here today.

Weird nothing much day really..

I managed to painted myself a little further.. but I did managed to finish painting the sterndrive and all it's bits.. it looks very pretty... I also finished epoxy sealing the hull repair so next weekend I can put the primer back on.  I also mixed just enough to epoxy the mudweight so it should rust any further now, although it wasn't in bad condition anyways.. It is still funny the amount of comments we get here when the the mudweight comes out lol..  I also painted the bit of glass cut out for the fuse box although some little flies decided to have a party on it so its modern art.. joy... (I also did lots of boat yard talking as I was outside lol... whoops.. I showed more people around the boat and as usual they like it.. one day someone will hate it lol).

Dave tested the heater and he's sorted the leak which is good. He also tied the wiring so making sure everything is secured. Fixed the air horn but we didn't dare test it with the air horn connected as it's load and it's a sunday! He also cut and installed a outlet in the hull for the hot water tank pressure relief so it doesn't make a mess inside the engine bay if it goes off. He also kinda fitted the catch on the bathroom door but it needs work as it a bit cheap and wont really work :( Finally he tied up and its funny how much space is in the wheelhouse when it's empty..

I've just booked the bsc exam for two weekends time so lets see how it goes.. I expect it to fail on something. 

Also don't forget every member is invited to the boats (re)naming ceremony end of feb.. message me for details :)cheers  

• Like 4

Thanks Alan, I'm quietly optimistic!.. the surveyor actually pretty much done examination of all the bits and suggested bits (he really did go above and beyond what expected!).. it's just hoping that all the bits needed for it arrive in time although we still have another weekend.. Thankfully it's a free retest when we fail though lol! cheers

Thanks Alan, I'm quietly optimistic!.. the surveyor actually pretty much done examination of all the bits and suggested bits (he really did go above and beyond what expected!).. it's just hoping that all the bits needed for it arrive in time although we still have another weekend.. Thankfully it's a free retest when we fail though lol! cheers

What was it Donald Sutherland said in Kellys Heroes? Ah yes, what's with those NEGATIVE waves Moriaerty(Alan) :naughty:  To use a naval pun, you will sail through the Test young Alan! :clap

cheers Iain

• Like 3

Today was devoted to getting the boat all ready for the BSC which is next weekend.

In the week we tried the catalytic heater and didn't want to go so to save any problems for the BSC we removed to this morning.  Dave retested the system and it's all air tight he also installed the battery boxes and secured the tanks and done the last bits of cabling. We noticed the heater isn't on a switch so he used the spare on the dashboard for that and in stalled a rocker switch in the kitchen for the fridge that was on that spare switch.  I installed the BSC stickers all over the boat (Pointless things!!).  Dave installed both the fire extinguishers.  We also tested the cooker for the first time and thankfully it's all good.

We went through the bsc requirements and everything seemed ok.. We noticed one of the busbar is missing a cover so I'll have to order from asap. But we are confident it should be ok.

Finally we tried to install the kitchen doors, I've gone for posh framed doors and it was all a right pain, we got the frames on eventually and the single drawer but gave up with the hinges as the ones they supplied weren't right (but I've ordered the right ones now) so try again later!

We have a ton of supplies in the car! Including all the foam! and timber for the table so tomorrow we can tackle these! I'm also going to order the teak deck flooring the wheelhouse tomorrow so we can tackle that next weekend. 

• Like 5

So today was a nice day.. nice days are good! 

We started on the table... We cut it roughly to size and put on the veneered top (c grade oak veneer) It still needs it's trims and I need to carpet the bottom.  Whilst I was varnishing this dave put together the little bits of wood on the bunk sides to take the table (and "v" berth insert). 

The we got the foam all cut and in.. Looks and feels (and smells) very different! 

A few pics below (notice I only just over ordered foam for once (in the kitchen picture)!!).

Next weekend BSC..  :shocked

post-28066-0-69316600-1424026832_thumb.j

post-28066-0-04354000-1424026844_thumb.j

post-28066-0-27468300-1424026852_thumb.j

post-28066-0-09573500-1424026862_thumb.j

post-28066-0-45539800-1424026875_thumb.j

post-28066-0-43217100-1424026894_thumb.j

post-28066-0-02045600-1424026903_thumb.j

post-28066-0-14291900-1424026918_thumb.j

post-28066-0-67908800-1424026930_thumb.j

post-28066-0-01222200-1424026941_thumb.j

post-28066-0-29486800-1424026956_thumb.j