Extending our holiday- ideas?

Chocofluff

Hi,

We've booked for 22nd August for a week at Richardsons. Now decided we would like a few days longer eg to go on the Monday(18th) instead of the Friday. Richardsons can't offer us the same boat for that period and the prices have rocketed since we booked it. For an extra 4 days they want over twice as much as what we paid!

Are there any other boat yards cheaper where we might be able to hire from the Monday to Friday? We've looked at Brinks and Woods, but no luck!

Thanks

Chocofluff

If Mr Richardsons can't do you a NBN discount ;) then I suggest you try the independents; 

Marthams (proper woodern boats!).. http://www.marthamboats.com

Maffetts http://www.maffett-cruisers.com,

Pacific http://www.pacificcruisers.co.uk 

Freedom boats  http://www.freedomboatingholidays.co.uk

Obviously though this is peak season though so places maybe booked out.. We used to camp (in a tent) for an extra weekend although hiring although even camping is expensive these days!

Good luck :)

If Mr Richardsons can't do you a NBN discount ;) then I suggest you try the independents; 

Marthams (proper woodern boats!).. http://www.marthamboats.com

Maffetts http://www.maffett-cruisers.com,

Pacific http://www.pacificcruisers.co.uk 

Freedom boats  http://www.freedomboatingholidays.co.uk

Obviously though this is peak season though so places maybe booked out.. We used to camp (in a tent) for an extra weekend although hiring although even camping is expensive these days!

Good luck :)

Didn't know about the NBN discount! How does that work then? I will have alook at the sites you put on.

Thanks

Choco x

Hopefully Clive Richardson reads this post and can help you out ;) he's a member and sponsor of the forum :)  Although as I say that's peak season and I guess demand will far outweight supply but don't ask don't find out ;)

Hopefully Clive Richardson reads this post and can help you out ;) he's a member and sponsor of the forum :)  Although as I say that's peak season and I guess demand will far outweight supply but don't ask don't find out ;)

I can but try! Fingers crossed, we hired from Richardsons last year via Hoseasons but they told us to book direct with them this time.

We booked an extra couple of days with them last year, when we got there and their service was excellent! So looking forward to our break.

Chocofluff

• Like 1

Hi Fluff,

you don`t say how many of you are goping.

I can definitely vouch for Maffetts, having been with them most years since 79, and they are a fantastic small indipendent family run yard. They have a new (to their fleet) boat this year which is not on their website, but is available from Saturdays, though if you only want it for 4 nights, and it`s available, they might be happy to do a deal. 

Allan (JawsO) has given their website address, but all their bookings and availability is done over the phone, so give them a call on 01508 520344, and ask for Lynda.

If they can`t help, try Freedom boating from Thorpe,  Andy (the owner) often posts on here, and has openly said they can be extremely flexible with no of nights and start/finish days, 

Also consider Pacific Cruisers, which alo at Loddon (next door to Maffetts) They may just have a boat available, even if it`s bigger than you need, they may be interrested in doing a deal.

All three of them are small indipendently run family yards, so you`ll be garunteed a friendly and personal service

It`s worth considering a slightly bigger boat than you need, providing you can get a decent deal, as at least they`re getting something, whereas a boat in base is costing them and not you.

I hope this helps.

Regards and best wishes ........................ Neil.

PS,  i forgot to add, all three yards are on the Southern rivers, which mean you can do the south mon-fri, then stay north from Ricco`s.

• Like 2

Problem is pretty much everything will be out in August. If you are prepared to take a chance and take a tent as back up, you may be lucky and get a last minute cancellation.

Otherwise as Peter says Waveney River Centre is a lovely spot with all the facilities you need on site. If you are prepared to rough it a bit more the Dog Inn at Ludham have a camping field. Less facilities but a brilliant pub :D  cheersbar 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm afraid camping is out for many reasons. One being we've not camped for about 30 years,Mr. Choco has a medical problem, so a tent would not be suitable. The mini breaks look great, but rather expensive for us and one big problem with those for me is they are full of KIDS!

Nothing against them but I work in high school and like to escape from them on my holidays and need the peace and quiet.

We are having a look again online tonight, Waterways of Wroxham might have a boat for us!

Thanks

Choco x

Just need to put the record straight about Richardsons Chocco. You said the price had doubled since you booked. In fact Richardsons are very consistent in their pricing between one year and the next and tend to be amongst the best value you can get. There was some reorganizing of price bands for 2014 which was swings and roundabouts between some boats cheaper at certain times and others going in the other direction. Don't forget short breaks on a per day basis are always more expensive than full weeks. My guess is you won't find an equivalent boat cheaper than what Richardsons are offering for the same period but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Having said that, if I was in your position I'd look to hire on the South side then stay north when you're on your Richardsons boat. That way you get to see all the Broads but save time and fuel crossing North to South.

• Like 5

We've actually just changed the boat we had booked for our holiday, as one of my sons and his wife are now spending a week with us and we decided we needed two dedicated double cabins and two bathrooms.  We managed to get Gold Gem for an extra £100 for two weeks (we were originally booked on San Bernardo, which was ideal for the two of us), but then we're not going until the middle of September. I would imagine all the cheaper boats will have been booked up well in advance for the school holiday weeks, and as Broads01 says, short breaks are always more expensive pro rata.

Good news June. I thought you might end up with Richardsons in the end! You have two contrasting boat styles there each with their own pros and cons. I've hired Crown Gem and it was great except didn't like it in the rain when the cockpit felt cramped and enclosed. It would be good to hear how you get on.

Good news June. I thought you might end up with Richardsons in the end! You have two contrasting boat styles there each with their own pros and cons. I've hired Crown Gem and it was great except didn't like it in the rain when the cockpit felt cramped and enclosed. It would be good to hear how you get on.

I will let you know!

Been looking at the specs of both boats, Southern Horizon being 10 ft longer and 3 feet wider than Crown Gem, should be interesting!

June x