The Bathing Platform

Wussername

No problems with stern on mooring as long as you have it fendered and don't try and ram the quay heading. As said great, for protecting stern drives.

It's also easier for the on and off bit at high water or on pontoon moorings. If it's your only exit point can make it tricky at low water with a wet deck/quay heading. 

Mine has a built in ladder for any mishaps and a handy locker to keep the landing net in to stop it getting stinky on-board.

Herons, ducks, geese and Otters like them though - for both feeding and pooping!

I think it depends on the boat as well - some they will work well with, others they don't. Along with personal choice of course.

Picture of my boat, which granted isn't a typical broads cruiser (not sure what type of boat you have), but you can see the swim platform and my nice fat fenders to keep it safe. 

post-30810-0-06945900-1413557493_thumb.j

The bathing platform, or swim platform. Notwithstanding that it is not used for the purpose for which it is intended.

Seen on many new builds, and not so new.

A good idea, or are there disadvantages, indeed are there safety issues?

Old Wussername

I agree with most of the replies.

My current boat is the first one I've owned with a built-in manufacturer designed swim platform.

Quite a misnomer really, it has far greater convenience and safety advantages than just that function, which it will never be used for on my boat. (not intentionally anyway ! :) )

Often ridiculed as one of the sports cruiser's gimmick encumbrances, it's incredibly useful on the Broads.

As long as it's not a flimsy add-on slatted affair, it provides:

• superb boarding access for stern-to mooring, especially for decrepit old people like me,
  • easy boarding access to dinghies and the only safe way to board kayaks and canoes from a boat,
  • safe access (with a safety rope) to clear prop obstructions if the boat has a sterndrive or outboard,
  • the best possible means of rescuing a man overboard, even if they're injured , because of the almost water level flat platform.
  • and lastly, self-rescue for the lone boater becomes much easier, especially with the flip down boarding ladder that most are equipped with.

True, they do add slightly to the length, but it's a small price to pay IMO.

Having used one for 4 years now, I wouldn't want to go back to owning a boat without one. :)

On re-reading my previous post, I've just realised I didn't mention the stern door/gate as well. That's crucial to the usefulness and safety of the swim platform, but they are virtually always included with original equipment]integral swim platforms.

I was prompted to post this topic because of an incident which occurred at Ranworth earlier this year. An incident which could well have resulted in a fatal accident.

By chance I met a relative, an experienced helm, who was staying at Ranworth on his own boat on this particular day. I did not witness the incident, however I do not doubt for a minute his graphic description of events.

A hire boat, with a bathing platform was attempting with some enthusiasm to execute a stern on mooring. A member of the crew, a lady, was standing on the bathing platform holding a mooring rope. There were no grab rails for the lady to offer support. The helm, on the realisation that he was reversing to fast, blipped the throttle in forward gear which resulted in the lady loosing her balance and falling into the water. Having arrested the backward motion of the boat, the helm proceeded to place the boat into reverse gear at a more respectable speed.

He was unaware that his crew member had fallen overboard.

The depth of the bathing platform, to all intents and purposes a ledge 4 to 5 inches thick, some 8 inches above the water line was level with the crew members head, behind which was the wooden piling of the staithe.

It was only the quick action of my relative, who sprinted across the green, shouting at the helm, that avoided the most dreadful of accidents.

Could this incident have been avoided?

Allow me to show you some photographs. None of which I hasten to add were involved, to the best of my knowledge, in the above incident.

post-30316-0-93817100-1413573790_thumb.j

No grab rails. An individual on this platform, I would consider to be at risk.

post-30316-0-18752300-1413573992_thumb.j

No Grab rails. An individual on this platform could be seriously disadvantaged. Would the helm be able to see the crew member was in difficulty?

post-30316-0-72539300-1413574247_thumb.j

Has much to recommend. Grab rails, and good visibity for the helm.

post-30316-0-00868400-1413574378_thumb.j

For me, this ticks all the boxes. Sensibly placed grab rails. Mooring ropes easily at hand, and I particularly like the way the ropes are stored. To my mind designed by a boat builder who was aware of the demands that can be placed upon the unwary.

Old Wussername

Matt

I live locally, thankfully, to the best of my knowledge the answer to your question is that there seems to be very few serious incidents.

No doubt the hire industry would, individually, be able to offer information concerning damage to craft. What the financial implications are I really have no idea. I suspect that they factor the cost into the hire charge.

Regarding accidents to individuals, I suppose The James Paget and the University Hospital would have information on boating related accidents, but it does not seem to be an issue.

Minor accidents, dealt with by the local GP. Records if any do not seem to be collated or published.

The walking wounded who limp home.........dunno!

I like to think that a holiday on the Broads is a safe and enjoyable place to be. I have no reason to think otherwise.

However, one should not be complacent and it is sensible to take care.

The other issue of course is that boating can be quite demanding on the older generation, a generation with a disposable income who can enjoy thier own boat. As I get older I find myself increasingly challanged by the design of some craft, grab rails in particular and the ability to board a boat or disembark from a boat. But perjhaps that is just me!

Very Old Wussername

• Like 1

I have to agree with the comments in favour of the bathing platform, on Ranworth Breeze we have added additional hand rails to aid some of our owners, these handrails are now used by all of us.

The steps down to the platform are also useful for starboard side on mooring.

Tan always uses the one hand for the boat and one hand for safety approach at all times.

post-568-0-74337200-1413622782_thumb.jpg

Regards

Alan

That sounded like it could have been a terrible accident.

Suffice to say I always remind my crew to hold on to a grab rail at all times when mooring (not just stern on) as any throttle or direction corrections can throw you off balance very easily. And also as helmsman your crew should take your lead as to when it is safe to take that step ashore.

As for general safety we also have a gate fitted, but not having kids or animals on board tend to leave it open - If we did have small people or animals then simply keep it closed. 

It is incredible how many people think that at 6mph on the water how much harm can come to you - especially those who like to stand on the roof of their hire boat!

Which reminds me of a very near miss earlier this year - Coming in to moor stern on at Beccles I had to correct the angle slightly. The guy on the boat, already moored up, was standing on the roof at the front of his boat sipping his wine looking cool and wasn't prepared for any slight movements to his boat. As I blipped the throttle to correct my line it resulted in his boat wobbling slightly. He just managed to keep his balance, but didn't look quite so cool. Obviously at head height when your on the roof any movement is magnified.

He grumbled a bit, but his wife just laughed!!!!

• Like 1

There are several different schools of thought on the safety aspect of boating, some more valid than others. Mine is very simple.

All water is dangerous, some areas more than others. Do not be fooled, the Norfolk Broads is water therefore it is dangerous.

HOWEVER...

Respect it, don't do stupid things near it and be aware of your surroundings at all times and the dangers will be minimized.

Compared with other waterways, the Broads are as safe as one can reasonably expect, but this fact puts essential disciplines into sharp relief, one in particular.

You are responsible for your own actions. No one else, not the skipper, not the hire fleet, not even the tooth fairy! You are. 

In the example given above regarding the lady falling off the swim platform, she broke one of the cardinal rules. One hand for you, the other for what you are doing.

If for some reason this isn't possible then a hugely heightened awareness of any danger is necessary, and far greater caution needs to be exercised.

We don't want to frighten anybody away from the delights of boating but to encourage them without highlighting this fact is not to be advised

It was thanks to Wussername's friends quick thinking and quicker acting that the disaster was avoided but like it or not it was the lady's lack of caution that put her into danger.

I will accept that the boat's design was a contributory factor, but this should have been considered by the lady when she chose to stand somewhere where she could not hold on.

There have been many cases where a boat's design is such that safety has been given second place to aesthetics, for example the Pulpit rail on a small boat can be so small that acts as a trip hazard but has no benefit other than looks.

Whoops, that turned into a bit of a rant!

• Like 3

Mr Mynah,

If a rant saves a life or prevents a serious injury then rant on.

As for Mr Falcon - That is the ultimate sea toilet - not sure if it would be the crew or the Broads patrol who would kick up a stink first (sorry couldn't stop myself). Keeps the inside of the boat fresh though. Whats more worrying is you have the loo brush next to the toilet :naughty:

Well going back to the swim deck. Last year moored at Beccles we notice a hire boat had got grounded :River Police  :River Police . The boat must have been moored on high tide, because while the owners were away ( which must have been a long time ) the boat had got their swim deck high and dry on the moorings :cry  :cry  :cry . It took a good 6 men and quite some time to get the boat fully back in the water, without too much damage to the rear of the boat :bow . 

Once again everyone pulled together to helped  cheers  .

Regards

Marina    :Stinky

Well going back to the swim deck. Last year moored at Beccles we notice a hire boat had got grounded police%20smiley.gif  police%20smiley.gif . The boat must have been moored on high tide, because while the owners were away ( which must have been a long time ) the boat had got their swim deck high and dry on the moorings :cry  :cry  :cry . It took a good 6 men and quite some time to get the boat fully back in the water, without too much damage to the rear of the boat :bow . 

Once again everyone pulled together to helped  cheers  .

Regards

Marina    :Stinky

Hi Marina,

It happens all the time at Beccles Yacht Station, having ropes too tight is the common problem.

Regards

Alan

Hi Marina,

It happens all the time at Beccles Yacht Station, having ropes too tight is the common problem.

Regards

Alan

Or the problem might be that some bathing platforms, especially those that stick out over the water as an add-on to the transom ride over the bank or get stuck under the quay's timber work. Would I have one? No.