Abroad V The Broads

Gracie

Hi All

I have some girlfriends over tonight and we have just got to talking about holidays. Only one of them is a Boating fanatic the others would rather be sunning themselves on a beach abroad somewhere, although I would never knock anyone's choice of holiday it's simply not for me and they just don't get it. The argument (which it seems to be turning into Lol)is as one of them has just put it "Why on earth would I want to go on a boat in this country when for the same sort of price I could be abroad"?. Iv'e tried to explain about sunsets, wild mooring and mud weighting etc but they are having none of it.

They've asked me to ask you guys "If money was no object would you still choose the Broads?" the answer to that for me is Yes, what about you lot (please don't say abroad Lol)

Grace

• Like 1

If money was no object, i`d have a house by the river with a privat mooring outside, occupied by a custom built dual steer lowliner built with a grp hull, and a timber top, and made to my own design. I`d also by buy Potter Heigham bridge and knock it down. You never know, if i did that, i might get an award for singlehandedly trebling the upper Thurne network economy because of all that extra boat traffic.

There`s also lots of other things i`d do if money was no object, but that`s for other discussions.

• Like 3

Grace.. we went greece a few years back and even though we had a hire car .. 5 star everything... we was bored.. and it's not relaxing as you have to make the most the holiday and it's rushing around (Even when you are on the beach you aren't relaxed)... time doesn't matter on the boat though and it's soo relaxing.. we will try and have the odd week in greece every few years just for a change but still will relax in norfolk ...

I do believe it's getting too expensive to hire though but get your friends to try a week on a marthams boat and they will be bittern..  ;)cheers

Neil, I have just been asked by one clever clogs "if he lives on the Broads, Where would he go on holiday....Abroad?" classic and yes she is blonde Lol.

Alan, they are far too high maintenance to slum it on a boat for a week or two Lol, don't knock it till you try it I say.

Grace

• Like 2

JM, thank you for your reply but you seem to have made matters a little bit worse, my clever friend has just said "See, she lives there and goes abroad" Iv'e now had to explain that you are in fact a man named Peter and that Jenny Morgan is your boat, I think I am going to give up, send them home and go to bed Lol

Grace

I am afraid I would say abroad......

The broads are great but at the end of the day it is still 120 odd miles of water. There is a big wide world out there!

Lapland in a couple of months and one day when then kids are older a sailing holiday in Greece :-)

But still with two weeks on the Broads every year!

• Like 1

We have 4 weeks abroad every year (I am including camping trips to France in this so don't think too posh) apart from this year where one was spent on the broads, we have already booked a week for next year on the broads again, such an impression it made on us! So yes if money was no object we would still come to the broads :)

• Like 1

I don't take summer holidays. I have my boat and my kayak, and I spend as many days on the water as I can. In the winter I do go away ... difficult to find a hill to ski down in Broadland ... for several weeks each year to the Alps. Why would you want to be anywhere else in the summer but Norfolk. If you want to lay on the beach, Wells, Holkham, Sea Palling etc are perfect.

Oh, and if I had unlimited funds I'd arrange for Potter Heigham bridge to be lowered by about a foot, so I could just get under with my mast lowered, but pretty much every motor cruiser would be 'out', and I could enjoy the peace, quiet and solitude that is the joy of Hickling and Horsey.

• Like 1

Venice, definitely. With money no object, I'd charter a gondola and a speedboat for the holiday and have them on call for my palazzo on the grand canal.

I did look into hiring a small boat when planning our last visit, but there are no real public moorings so I gave up and enjoyed the place nonetheless.

If money were no object I too would buy a house with water frontage and a dual steer to moor in my wetshed.  Each time I see 'little Holland' as we walk into Ludham from the dyke I do drool and whimper uncontrollably! (could be my age though!) Now I have nothing against going abroad and would do if the fancy took me!

Back to reality and money is not falling out of every crevice... I prefer to go on a boat as its much less hassle than flying abroad, plus I travel a lot for work so the 'excitement' of flying is long gone.

• Like 2

Right, this is version number two. :naughty:

I live in a beautiful part of the country, with an airport only four miles away to whisk me off to sunnier and know doubt hotter places. But, with the Isle of Arran just across some sixteen miles or so from me, the views I see most days and some of the colours can be amazing. We have the marina also, so always something going on in Troon. I feel very lucky to live here.

However, my brother in law has a flat in Tenerife which we have been so many times. But all the hassle at airports can put a downer on all of that, nice as Tenerife and up at Mt Taide can be.

I have been coming to Norfolk for nearly forty years, and even today, I still get the excitement of the journey knowing at the other end, once the car is parked at the boatyard, the holiday of peace and tranquility begins.

So, in the ideal world I would stay on a deserted Island with a Broads Cruiser to take me back to civilisation when required, but most of all, be back in Scotland for Hogmanay :naughty:  :naughty:

Not quite what I wrote before as spontanaity aint as spontan on a Sunday morning! :norty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 5