Anyone know how deep the Chet is now?

Baitrunner

Thanks but having found out the swann isn't serving food after 3 today we have decided to try the reedcutter at cantley.

Shame because I really like the Chet and the food in the swann but hopefully the reedcutter will be good as not been in there since the new owners took over.

Have you tried it John?  Have to say it wasn't pretty when we last tried it and the signs seem to be getting a bit grubbier and more desperate since.

Hope they can work out what they were doing wrong as it must be better to have stable ownership/tenantship of pubs, at least that way they develop a character.

• Like 1

Oops got the fingers all confused.

The food was ok but nothing to shout about.

However the landlord was up for a laugh.

A quiet Sunday evening for them bur we had scampi and chips and then had a few games of darts and bar billiards with the chef and landlord. We had a good laugh and whiled away a few hours. Very good ambiance.

Hi all. Thinking of a trip down the Chet tomorrow but not been there in my current boat (1m draft).

I know it used to have a few shallow sections but since it's been dredged does anyone know what it's like now?

Cruised up there yesterday at 3pm and The Clipper showed between 0.6m up to 1.5m. Deepest in middle and can get shallow quick on edges. BA been out cutting reeds to improve visibility the last weeks. Try Rockland St Mary passage in nicely dredged and good depth..

Thanks but having found out the swann isn't serving food after 3 today we have decided to try the reedcutter at cantley.

Shame because I really like the Chet and the food in the swann but hopefully the reedcutter will be good as not been in there since the new owners took over.

Hi Mark,

I don`t get it?,  if you like the Chet as much as you say, why let the fact the Swan is`nt doing food stop you going down there?, there`s always the White Horse, which always does good food?. Failing that, there`s always the Raj, or Lims Chinese?. I have to say, that`s the first time i`ve heard someone choose there route depending on which pub is open.  Personally, i`d go somewhere and work out the food situation when we got there.  Far too much forward planning there me thinks.

• Like 1

Well the final decision was made for us because I couldn't get in and out at high water and didn't relish the thought of being stuck on a mud bank for several hours.

We also had a "no food on board" weekend (boys weekend) as we planned on eating out and a fair chance the White Horse might not have been doing food on Sunday evening either.

Don't worry I will plan a trip down there next year on favourable tides with food options open.  

I have been thinking about this, - I know at my age not easy - as I hired from Astons for many years and they had a few 42ft boats I never had a problem either at low water. It was though a narrower river then. Would that have made a difference?

cheers Iain

Our draft is a little over a metre and we have not had too many problems in all the years we have been going into Loddon (one of our favourite mooring locations) even before the dredging.

There is still something in the water near Maffets but other than that the journey is now better because of the clearing of foliage the other year.

A choice of 4 pubs, the café, chip shop,  a few shops and a good DIY shop (they even have shore power plugs, sockets etc).

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Ah yes I meant low weather!!!

Alan your draft is similar to mine then. I know on my old boat with a shallower draft I was kicking up a lot of mud at some points and the depth gauge was none too happy. I was hoping the dredging has mad a significant improvement so will be taking a journey down there in the new year.

Well since the dredging wev,e been down there and left at low water, even when we have been food mixing the mud in the basin wev,e had no problems down the the river, even over the old slip at maffets!, and wev,e got bravo 2,s hanging off the back.....may have a slight problem on the highest springs of the year, but so would all boats, but that,s only 2 weeks of the year :wave