2015 London Boat Show

LondonRascal

Friday was a little quiet but today was pretty busy up until I left at 1pm, probably the busiest I've seen it for a few years.  Some of this may be due to the Classic Car show.  Had a nosey around this but it was mainly high end £100,000 plus cars in better condition than when they left the factory. 

I'm more the under £1K piece of junk you buy off Ebay when drunk although I'm currently in remission!

Nicole on the Sunseeker stand was nice but the Guinness was nicer!  The Fairline launch was a little more subdued but 3 new models were announced.  One is a revamped T38 and the 2 x new 53's are based on the current 50 hull but stretched a little.

Sheerline were there along with 3 boats from Brooms who had a very nice stand.

I'm back on the last Sunday and then Monday for packing up so if anyone around Sunday then please pop in and say hi.

We are right behind the main entrance so impossible to miss.

Clive - I did pop over to say hi but you were off stand and I was about to leave, maybe next time!  Think I spoke to Greg Munford?

• Like 2

As far as I say this year the boat show was better then the last few years.It was good to see the broads being well represented,as well as all the boat builders.Faircraft and Richardsons were there,we meet Clive(C.Ricko).The crew on there stand were helpful and funny.We managed to spend a few bob like most years,among other things we bought new fenders(not pink)white, hopefully keeping her nose bump free.

It was pity that no boats were outside in the dock,however a much better show.So if you can get along give it a go.

Ian :dance

• Like 3

Yep Neil,

Greg said you had come over but I was not really on the stand,however it was good to meet a few forumites and  have some interesting chats with people in the short time I was on the stand, 

I will be back in the morning for a bit but nit on the stand much..

Ian,

I have never ventured onto the boats outside but it was cold today and blowing a hoolie so I am glad i didn't spend any more time out there than needed! (ps nice to meet you!)

Hi, Ian was right  :clap the Boat Show was much better then last year, but there was still some stands not there  :shocked . The RNLI stall was only a small stand  :shocked , so they were not selling anything and no money boxes for fund raising  :shocked .

I was sorry we did not meet NeilB, but we did meet Clive (C.Ricko) and all on the Richardsons stand all very friendly and I do love the Richardsons logo on the boat.

Yes, we did spend money :naughty:  and I guest it was half and half :kiss . The fenders and yes (sorry Alan) I got the Dry Mesh for our cabin and I got it much cheaper :bow . I saved between £40 - £50   :angel:  :angel: .

Regards

Marina   :Stinky 

• Like 1

Oh geez I'm sorry Clive.. Hope you walked away without too much earache ;) I think we will go back next year, good to hear there's a few more inland boats and it's getting better. Hopefully Clive you can take your new flybridge cruiser next year? I'd like to see that cheers

Mum (sorry all, I do hate using the forum to chat to mum!) what's wrong with your old fenders? you just brought them last season? Can you please stop spending my inheritance :rolleyes:   :arms: If you don't want the old ones we will have a couple for the stern deck.. 

• Like 2

We have never lost a fender on a hire boat, did lose a saucepan overboard once (long story) sorry Clive but we did replace it from Roy's Lol

Alan, I love it when you have a bit of a spat with your mum on here and don't be rude to her I'm sure she didn't give Clive ear ache, mind you having said that the way she tells people off on here sometimes maybe you're right :naughty:

Grace

• Like 1

Many years ago now Oulton Broad was dredged and my daughters had a wonderful summer recovering old and antique bottles and all sorts of goodies from the dried mud. Amazing just how many egg-cups and teaspoons they found, presumably thrown over the side with the washing up water. Was a time when folk washed up in a bucket or basin. Not only did we find bottles, cutlery and crockery but also numerous smoker's pipes, spectacles and even some false teeth. Amazing what folk throw/drop/loose over the side. We also found ammunition, an anvil and quite a few mudweights. Never did find a saucepan though.

• Like 3

We have no protection as the rubbers going down the front of the bow needed to come off  :bow , so we brought two round fenders to protect the bow  :bow . As we know what tides and winds can do to boats when mooring or casting off  :hardhat: .

Thanks Grace I thought ladies stick together  :rolleyes: . Not to worry  :naughty: .

Regard

Marina   :Stinky

• Like 1

I've not been for some time so I was unsure what to expect - however, along with my Mum and Sheila we both had a great day out.

We had a look at the 'posh boats' over at Princess and Sunseeker where we all agreed we did not much like them because they all looked much the same as each other, just wider or longer with ever increasing prices with some models now seeming to have more glass in their hulls than fibreglass!

We had a look at Shetland's offerings together with Viking and felt Viking for the price had a much better offering, I was surprised to see on one of the Shetland boats the rears of the seat cushion backs were covered in carpet and stapled - the staples not being in a neat line even and I bet not stainless but regardless of being removable why have carpet backing vinyl cushions.  They did win on at least have information and prices and keen staff, Viking however had no such information on hand.

Over to Broom and was impressed at the Broom 30 Coupé - not least since one can hire this model and even thought the £139,000 price seemed well balanced for what you got until you looked at what that price did not include - even heating (at £4,139.00) is an option but the list goes on having to pay for fender eyes they want close on £900.00 for a TV aerial fitted to the mast! 

But where I was (and a few others along with us too) stunned at value was over at Norfolk Boat Sales where they had brought along the Elan Power 42 and 30.  Indeed there was a saving of over £100,000 on the list price if you bought at the show - several had and I could see why.  You could see where the Croatian builders of this model had saved some money but overall the look feel  was lovely, it is a sports boat (up to 38 knot performance) but where you could be comfy with full headroom down below even in the guest cabin complete with ensuite. They also looked to my eye different to the rest.

What I was really excited about was having a look on Broadsman - then being able to compare it right away to Norfolk Broads Direct (Faircraft Loynes) 'Fair Chancellor' right next door.  Within moments of being on the boat my mum commented on how well fitted the interior of Broadsman was and how solid it all felt - Sheila loved the size of the shower area and comfy seating in the wheelhouse - the very quite (and fast) closing electric roof was also shown off to us.  Overall a stunning boat with small attention paid to many aspects - even covering the helm area in a black matt material so the shiny white gel coat does not reflect off the tinted windscreen glass.

I got to meet Clive and had a chat about the boat, the forthcoming Commodore model which was good - he is a really down to earth guy which you can see is full of passion for boats and has a great deal of 'hands on' say as to what is included in their new builds.

Over to Fair Chancellor an Alpha 44 centre cockpit - it costs more per week to hire than Broadsman and while a foot shorter is, as far as the general design goes the same being a centre cockpit boat.  Both my mum and I were surprised at the use of what she called 'country style kitchen' cabinets in the rear cabin - painted white with large wooden knobs on them it just seemed a bit odd, the rear ensuite was the same as most Alpha molds - forward of the rear cabin was the galley in a sort of U shape and open plan up to the cockpit where the seating was.  Things like the LCD television that would rise from within the 'sideboard' on the port side were nice, it too had an electric operated canopy and was very well fitted out.  We liked the vast room that had been created by removing what would have been a third cabin and having this space devoted to a shower room on the starboard side and second toilet on the port - twin berths up front which 'scissor' together to make a double.  Plenty of space to move about and get dressed in the morning meaning a true two couple boat with both sleeping areas being wholly separate.

Overall impression was that like Barnes Brinkcraft, Norfolk Broads Direct are really doing the best they possibly can with a mold that by now is showing its age in what one can do with it - meaning Ricahrdson's who can design the boat firstly then the interior fit out really have the edge and their materials are seem more robust and stylish without being overly fancy or technical. 

I think overall the show was great - I especially loved looking at the tech, from radar to plotters then over to Engines from the likes of Nanni and Beta.  I liked the variable speed thrusters Side Power had which I'd imagine would do wonders for control without the thrusters just being on or off, but you can adjust from low power to full. 

Well worth going and if you own a boat or have the cash to buy new, certainly deals are there to be had.  We then got the Cable Car a short walk from Excell over to the Dome for dinner which ended a lovely day out.

post-534-0-33741200-1420996878_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-37856900-1420996895_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-40525200-1420996916_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-48839800-1420996988_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

If this year's show was better than last, I am very pleased I didn't go last year.

I felt, in many respects, short changed on the day. Sure, there were a lot of boats and it was great to see the Broads represented so well, but there was virtually no chandlery, little in the way of fittings, lighting was poorly represented and there were no boats on the water.

This show isn't a patch on what it used to be. In the 90s at Earls Court, a large section of the upper level was chandlery and you had boats on the water despite it being nowhere near a river or dock.

I found that, despite this, the day passed very quickly as we managed to speak at length with many of the people we wanted to, but there just weren't enough of them. I suspect this is all about how the market has changed over the years and I guess that it is no longer worth smaller suppliers booking space because of the cost and ROI, especially with the Internet allowing prices to be driven down. Even the clothing suppliers were thin on the ground,  but there was still many more of these than there were chandlers or even chandlery supplies.

I can't see me rushing back next year because all that we need is either already within 20 miles of us or available on the web without a 250 mile round trip and £15 car parking (no change given).

Re lack of chandlers, going back to Earl's Court, chandlers back then claimed that they had to elevate prices by 10% to cover costs and 10% to cover shoplifting. Today we have the internet so theoretically show prices could be 20% more, don't think that the savvy punter would wear that.

I hardly ever missed an Earls Court BS.

I know it sounds corny, but back in those days it was impressive and yet the majority of the exhibits were still  within reach of the ordinary man. :)

post-195-0-74280200-1421053931_thumb.jpg

I well remember the clamour of the underground from Liverpool Street to Earl's Court. For whatever reason we came out of the station opposite Earls Court and there, at the entrance, after her voyage around the world, was Gypsy Moth. The impact, the wonderment, an amazing experience and, as Strow has highlighted, the show catered for the ordinary man. Not just the ordinary man but the enthusiast and the dreamers.

I first fell in love with the Drascombe concept way back in the 1960's when the first Lugger was exhibited. The crowd of dreamers around her was several folk deep but there was a boat that was achievable although it was several years before I did achieve it!

I well remember the clamour of the underground from Liverpool Street to Earl's Court. For whatever reason we came out of the station opposite Earls Court and there, at the entrance, after her voyage around the world, was Gypsy Moth. The impact, the wonderment, an amazing experience.....

It's a small world Peter.

I may well have been standing next to you on that day back in 1968, gazing up at it.... :naughty:

There's a British Pathe short film of it at http://www.britishpathe.com/video/boat-show-1

(can't seem to do it as a direct link like a youtube clip).

post-195-0-49219400-1421065092_thumb.jpg

Not sad at all... :rolleyes:

I remember going to lots of shows at Olympia too, with the awkward one stop change on the underground from Earls Court.

They used to run the "COLEX" (Camping and Outdoor Life EXhibition) there, before it was moved to the NEC.

I bought a very early catalytic heater that needed "unleaded" petrol, but I couldn't find any for sale back in the 1960's !!

Oh well, maybe it will get better by Wednesday? I don't feel so bad as it was only a tenner for the ticket (although did get offered a free one after I bought it). :cry  Shame about the lack of chandlery items though.

It has to be better than an afternoon in the office though? And my really long 20 minute journey on the DLR.