What do you do with your turkey carcass?

Baitrunner

Maybe not something you could easily do on a boat, but do it at home and take the fruits of your toils with you.

Are you a "user" or a "waster"?

Following in my late Mums footsteps (especially since I inherited her pressure cooker) I seem to be the only one I know who boils down the carcass to make my own blend of turkey soup/stew. Pressure cookers are wonderful things too.

I end up collecting them from various friends and relatives who would normally just bin them.

So, what do you do with the carcass folks?

I was even disgusted to see the chef in a carvery throw a half carved turkey away because it was too much effort to do anything with it. Or are there some stupid food and hygiene rules that apply?

My recipe is never the same, other than it has turkey in it and turkey stock! Normally end up with tubs of it in the freezer to be used on a cold winters evening when you need something hot and simple. 

• Like 2

Following in my late Mums footsteps (especially since I inherited her pressure cooker). Pressure cookers are wonderful things.

I end up collecting them from various friends and relatives who would normally just bin them.

How many have you got, and do they take up a lot of cupboard space....... :naughty:

I sit on boxing day evening, with the carcass, an pick it, kids call me a vulture, as there is not a lot left when I have finished.

:Stinky

I always bag it up and pop it in the freezer for January.   Make lovely Turkey Soup to have on a cold winter's day.       I am like my old Mum , she never wasted anything.

I didnt think that you should give Turkey or Chicken bones to dogs?

Yes I have a pressure cooker but normally boil my bones in a large saucepan.   How long do you cook in the pressure cooker please?

Best of luck all you cooks.     I just know by the end of tomorrow I will like the rest of you , be exhausted and be feeling if I ever see another mince pie or sausage roll , it will be too soon.   xmas6  xmas6  xmas6  xmas6  :yawn:  :yawn:  :yawn:    I had to settle for a yawn smiley as there isnt one for plain knackered.

• Like 2

I do the pressure cooker thing, and keep one on the boat, so if aboard would do likewise. Like Hylander, I usually freeze it down if I am not ready to deal with it there and then.

If I have everyone here, it's a whole turkey, but on reduced guest list its a crown, less cost and no waste. This year it's a crown, next is probably a whole bird.

Hylander,

20-30 mins in the pressure cooker on the high weight setting should do the trick.

I probably overdo it a bit, but it's much easier to get the meat off then.

I only use the pressure cooker to boil me bones or make a steak and kidney suet pudding - Hmmmmm :grin: 

Freezing it down to cook later is a good idea - not sure why I have never thought of that. 

No problems with Christmas leftovers.

Although I do not make stock out of the bones I do freeze the turkey and ham leftovers. Later, I make some hot water pastry ( pork pie pastry, recipe easily obtainable on the internet) and make a smashing pie with the leftovers and some made stuffing add some chopped smoked bacon for more flavour. When cooled down I make a gelatine and chicken stock mixture and pour it in the vent holes in the pie until it is full up. Let it cool and then refrigerate

Wonderful! especially  served with a big dollop of either mustard or Branston pickle.

• Like 1

Have never had a Turkey carcass to worry about, if we host Christmas (twice in last 12 years!) then its never Turkey, this year we are having a meal in some hotel somewhere with the outlaws, im sure the other half know where but I shall just do as im told and drive us there as soon as she reminds me where, then I shall drive us back after she is sloshed!

We had a turkey "cram" (well that`s what our butcher calls it?)  which is a turkey boned and rolled, without the legs. It`s virtually 100% meat, so no wastage. We also had a cooked ham (again boneless) which we had for cold meat and pickles on Christmas night, and as a main meal on Boxing day. The leftovers from the ham went into a risotto on Saturday evening, but i made a turkey Satay with the rest of the leftovers tonight. A bit of a lash together meal tonight, but extrememly tasty.