Boating etiquette

MauriceMynah

There are one or two things I didn't know about boating etiquette I was unaware of, and a few things where I was just wrong. (I didn't know for example that when holding a child's head under water, one should use a mop, rather than a boat hook, so as not to distress the child's mother more than is absolutely necessary.)

Other threads here and elsewhere have highlighted some points, and I'd rather like to hear other points of view as well as mentioning my own.

Mooring up alongside another vessel (yes, this old chestnut)

My view... I wouldn't dream of doing this without the other vessel's skipper's/crew's permission unless in an emergency. If no such party is available to give that permission, I'd go and moor elsewhere.

When I'm asked, I normally say yes.

Mooring stern on between two boats... do I board either of the boats I'm going between.

My view... Yes! If there's someone aboard, I would ask out of courtesy if nobody aboard, I'd just do it. If I asked and was refused... well I don't know what I'd do, and that's a fact!

Now, here's an interesting one, and known to most (not all) of the sailing fraternity. 

I'm moored alongside another boat. I'm the outer boat and I wish to go aboard. In the sailing world, the person boarding would walk across the bows of the other boat stepping onto his own boats bows, then walking to his own cockpit. I would say that with two motor vessels moored facing the same direction, this would  have to depend on where the cockpits are. am I right? or is it still "across the bow"?

OK, Daggers drawn, off you go!!!

• Like 3

I think I've got one for you Maurice.

You approach a mooring and there is no room for you, but most boats have moored inconsiderately leaving big gaps. It is pub o'clock and no one appears to be around. Do you,

A) Move on and find another mooring spot.

B1)  Double moor against another boat even though they are not there to ask permission, assuming it is a mooring that allows double mooring.

C) Come alongside a boat to drop a crew member of who then shuffles the boats around, carefully retying the boats as they were when found, to create a gap large enough to moor in.

D) Stern moor in one of the bigger gaps even though it is meant to be a side on mooring.

E) Something else I haven't thought of.

Keep it sensible and polite pls guys.

Excuse the B1), without the 1 it gets turned into a smiley.

• Like 1

I do the same as you on the first one Maurice, Mooring Stern On I've never found the need to get on one of the other boats, though I have fended them off when going astern so I don't damage their boat/fenders but to be honest mainly not damage my boat, The last one I think probably across the bows, on my boat it's the only way without actually walking through my rear cockpit and even that can't be done unless my canopy is down, so I think that one mainly depends on the type of boat, but whatever I do! I never do it without the other boats permission first and in all the years I've been on the Broads no-one has ever refused, being polite goes a long way! I've found most hire craft don't really care and may help you, and most privates are out like a shot to help you, for the same reason I do it and suspect most privates do it! they don't want to take the slightest chance you may damage their pride and joy, if I see someone coming in to stern on moor next to me! I'm out there when I see that boat go into reverse, :norty: 

Frank,,,,

• Like 2

Kfurbank! I usually do A because I don't have the patience, and the gap thing is one of my pet hates,

I have been know to do E, that is if I'm having a bad day I go into demented Gerbill mode, swearing and calling them all sorts of things to Judi, the worst time is when I see a gap I can just get into only to find fishing tackle and chairs spread along the gap with no-one fishing, and they are on their boat sitting there looking at you with that Wassup! look

• Like 2

Good questions.

Mooring alongside, I wouldn't really do without permission, if there's no space I'd go elsewhere and have done a number of times. Although I'm one for mooring away from people as despite being social on here I'm really an unsociable creature! I admit I would raise an eyebrow if someone moored alongside us and we wasn't there.  I would walk carefully across the bow though even trying not to rock the boat and walking quietly. 

If someone wants to moor alongside and it's smaller or similar I wouldn't hesitate in welcoming them alongside and helping, if it's a bigger boat and I'm sober (The only moorings I'm sociable is next to a pub!) I'd probably swap around and let them come against the bank.. certainly if they are a hireboat as they are on holiday and I'm just chilling/drinking).  

Mooring stern on, I'm at the wheel and never move  :naughty: but I don't see the need to step on other boats apart from fendering off (after the huge gust of wind blew me off course... :norty:).  It wouldn't bother me if someone steps on our boat if they feel the need to though and as a means to protect either boat, I'd be out on the bank to help them too.

Half the fun of the broads is that its busy and there are opportunities to be sociable (and places you can run and hide), even watching the newbies learning is fun. I admit though we haven't been up there on our own boat (Mum and Dads still felt like a hireboat - no offence folks lol) so I'm not sure how I will be when we get up there but I know what to expect and I'm looking forward to it.. 

cheers

• Like 4

I moored up once at Acle on the bit beyond the pub streach, I explained to a fellow hirer that the "Thumb" thickness at both ends is all that is required to get out from said mooring. He said it was impossible, so I spoke to the hirer on the boat astern of me and got them to bring their boats thumb distances apart. Yup I gently moved the boat out no probs.

Now as the boat I have hired this year has the "toys" at both ends, in theory, I should be able to go straight out sideways. However, none of this would be attempted without asking or giving warning before it, to those moored next to me. Basically what I am saying is, ask before carrying out the manouver.

Nice subject on a bitterly cold winters day MM :clap . Soon be Easter and a new season to come. :) I am though becoming increasingly concerned how serious you have become of late on here! :blink:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

I've been in or on the Broads most of my life, I did have a few years on the South Coast, and my parents, grandparents and great grandparents were here before me. Some things, customs & traditions I suppose, have passed down to me and from me to my children. I have to be honest, somethings like mooring alongside another boat, here or down South, I have always taken for granted, it has long been the way both of the Broads and yachtsmen in general.

Common courtesy comes into this, I wouldn't moor alongside a boat that intends to leave on the 0500hrs tide unless I was going to too. I wouldn't clamber over someones decks in hob-nail boots either. I would not rely on his mooring ropes nor would I expect him to rely on mine. I would expect to be able to moor alongside another boat just as I would expect another boat to expect the same courtesy from me, that is the traditional way, the long established custom of the Broads. 

• Like 7

If I am on the boat I usually pop out and see if they need help. I prefer not to have someone double moor as on previous occasions it tends to be a bit noisier with the boats rubbing and we are early to bed, early to rise. We have never turned anyone away. With my snoring they may not sleep to well either. Last year we helped people stern moor a few times, I uasually take the line and help them in if they need it or fend off if not. We were at OBYS last year when a hire boat was stern mooring between us and a nice private boat. It was very tight and the other owner had a very concerned look on his face. I took the line and kept the hire boat close to us as he fended off. We were in a rather old hire boat that had collected several marks over the years. It is best to ask at all times as long as someone is on board. If not I uasually find somewhere else. Good thread MM

• Like 1

for what it worth i would always ask before mooring alongside anyone else it just common courtesy, as a chap that hires only for now, I guess I would feel more happy mooring alongside another hire craft, rightly or wrongly my view is that there is less fear that if something does go wrong and there a little bang or scratch it not so much an issue, (not saying I would deliberately try to bump a hire boat) but they are not as immaculately kept as a lot of private boats who I would hate to damage even if it just very very very minor.

• Like 3

So far I have never had cause to moor alongside another boat when I am out and about on my own. 

I do however take care to not bother people – I prefer to moor out in the wilds than along a formal mooring not so much because I want to be well away from others, but it is not unusual outside of the warm summer months to find after 2 or 3 hours the heating shut down because the batteries are knackered.  If you’re on a wild mooring alone I have no issue then with running the engine to get things back going.

When I come into a mooring it is not always easy for people to give assistance to me because I can’t be in two places at once (I for example can’t wander off down to the bow to hand a line).  What I have found though is it also is about how you approach the mooring to calm peoples worries. 

We have all been there and do the ‘meerkat dance’.  You’re sat in the Saloon minding your own business and suddenly you hear a boat engine rev up hard going full astern and forward and up you pop along with others – where is it, what’s going on and do you need to worry.  Come in slow and quiet and people don’t get as scared about their boat being hit.

• Like 2

"..I'm moored alongside another boat. I'm the outer boat and I wish to go aboard. In the sailing world, the person boarding would walk across the bows of the other boat stepping onto his own boats bows, then walking to his own cockpit. I would say that with two motor vessels moored facing the same direction, this would  have to depend on where the cockpits are. am I right? or is it still "across the bow"?"

Has to be across the bows in my book.  It is the most distant point from where most people would usually be, whether in the centre cockpit / the aft cockpit / flybridge.  It is also away from the area where stuff might be lying around.  

It's the privacy thing for me.

• Like 1

JM,

Perhaps Timbo may come back with a retort to that, with him having TWO Beagles onboard, not to mention Uncle Albert! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Uncle Albert is legendary for his silent, long winded ones, that will be his crew's problem. As for two beagles, arghhh, especially if they both wedge their rear ends against the cabin side nearest my head! 

• Like 2

We used to be early to bed and early to rise and start.  We always ensured that boats moored near to us were aware that this was our intention.  Especially if we were off to catch an early flood tide through Yarmouth at 0700hrs and are at St Olaves or beyond.

• Like 1

I would always ask permission and if no one around or got refused go elsewhere.

I actually watched a small rag and stick go up and down looking for a mooring with no joy so actually called them over and helped them moor up alongside me. So I will always assist (self preservation and being nice).

Never, ever move someone else's boat without their permission. Apart from the chance of damaging it or not retying it properly it is illegal. Like moving someone's car.

In any situation, if a boat is mooring near me I will always offer assistance unless they look totally in control.

• Like 1

Yes, ask permission, cross the bows not the stern when going ashore or boarding is a privacy respecting thing, and run your own lines to shore, not use his/ her cleats are all basic, I think.

With Brilliant being a venerable woody, we are always ready to help incoming moorers!

I agree about the "go across the bows for privacy" point, but if for example my boat (aft cockpit) was moored alongside a forward wheelhouse boat, I would think crossing their stern would be preferable for them.

Last year one night, I was moored outside the Ferry at Horning. (The Water Rats were performing there (or rather they didn't) ) A sailing craft moored alongside Nyx. As I had several guests aboard, my berth was in the cockpit. The night was warm when, at about midnight, the crew of the sailing boat walked across my stern, holding on to my canopy which was partially open to let some fresh air in. I did think that was a little thoughtless!!!

I tried to moor a long side a private boat at Ranworth once and was told where to go ...

I onced doubled up at Yarmouth, alongside a hire boat!

Got screamed at to eff-off in best Essex.

Quay Ranger came along and told the hirer, in no uncertain terms, that he had never encountered such a response.

The Ranger then went on to help me tie up.

I was going through with the tide, arrived early, had just one chance to turn into the tide and grab a boat. No opportunity to ask, just grab hold, but that is boating.

• Like 5