Hello from a pair of new oldies.

It's not our fault honest, that we have joined this forum! There is only one person to blame really. We have both caught this so called Broads Fever and no matter what we do, to try and cure it, it keeps coming back. It all started, when we came across The Captain's Blog and we started watching Robin's videos. Yes he is the culprit, for us old pair getting hooked into a boating holiday.

Some of you on here, may have already spotted us old pair on the other Broads Forum, but being on both is better than none I suppose. We are already booked up for a couple of weeks cruising this year, with our first one starting in April, aboard the good ship 'Star Gem', one of the Bath Tub Class, of the Richardson's Fleet. Then later in the year, at the end of September, we have decided to try the Brink's Fleet, with 'Topliner 3' again another Bathtub, but with a bit more appeal, having a nice patio area on the stern.

Well that's us two in a nutshell, just eagerly waiting for the 17th April, when we step aboard our floating home for a week. Well,1 post so far with this one, so only another 49 to go, before some kind person's, proposes and second's us, to become full members.

Kindes Regards

Geoff & Wendy. 

• Like 9

Wendy & I would like to thank everyone for a warm welcome. :smile: . Don't want to bore you all, but let me tell you all a little bit about us. Wendy & I have been together now for just over eighteen months (we met on a dating agency, having both lost our previous spouses through illness) To make living together official, we are getting married in August this year. Our second broads holiday will become our honeymoon.

We both show lot's of common interests, the idea of having a Broads holiday being one of them, so I think we are a perfect match for each other, to enjoy the rest of our old age together.

I am no stranger to things that float (or even sail beneath the surface) I spent 16 years in the Royal Navy, three of those on submarines (the proper stinking sweaty submarines of those days) and we have both in our previous marriages had narrow boat holidays on the canals.

Now we are getting on in life, boating on the canals seemed to energetic, having to operate lock gates, especially having to negotiate a long flight like those at Hatton the Birmingham & Worcester Canal. We want a nice laid back leisurely holiday, so what better place than the Broads.

Well, I think you know more about us than we do ourselves, but its nice to be part of you all who share the same passion for the Broads and boats.

Thank you for listening.  :wave

• Like 3

A very warm welcome aboard to you both, it's lovely and friendly on here, hope you enjoy it.

As for the Broads Fever there is no cure I'm afraid the only thing to do is keep going back, I will warn you the Fever never goes away it just seems to get worse Lol

Congratulations on your wedding in August cheers

Grace

ps We have also hired a Star Gem, you won't be disappointed she is a smashing boat for two, loads of room

• Like 1

Hello Geoff & Wendy,

Congratulations for your wedding in August, honeymoon on a boat is difficult to beat once you have a history of boating, the confetti in your suitcase can be a pain to clear up however, speaking from experience here. Tan & I spent our honeymoon in 1980 on the Trent & Mersey Canal, we still like some time on the canals but have two weeks on the Broads.

We are based on the Southern Broads but dependant on the tides can get to the Northern Rivers, I suggest that you come down to the Southern Rivers in September.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hello Geoff & Wendy,

Congratulations for your wedding in August, honeymoon on a boat is difficult to beat once you have a history of boating, the confetti in your suitcase can be a pain to clear up however, speaking from experience here. Tan & I spent our honeymoon in 1980 on the Trent & Mersey Canal, we still like some time on the canals but have two weeks on the Broads.

We are based on the Southern Broads but dependant on the tides can get to the Northern Rivers, I suggest that you come down to the Southern Rivers in September.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan & Tan,

So having done the Trent & Mersey, you will be familiar with the Harecastle Tunnel. I've been through it on several occasions, but it was rather eerie on the first time through. Quite a few years ago, during the 1970s, I used to live in Cheddleton, about 200 yards up the hill from the Boat Inn, on the Caldon Canal, It hadn't long been open then. I was also a member of the North Staffordshire Railway Society (now called The Churnet Valley Railway). Spent many hours there helping to restore some of the steam engines. I have two sons who still live in Leek, so we still get up there now and again. The Caldon Canal is a lovely stretch of water, once you leave the confines of Stoke & Hanley and out past Stockton Brook & Ednon. From then on, the scenery is lovely, all the way through Cheddleton & the river section at Caldon Low, right through the short tunnel to the terminus at Froghall. It used to run as far as Uttoxeter, until the railway arrived in the 1840s. Because the valley was so narrow after Froghall, the canal was filled in and the railway was built over it. Boltons Copper Works at Froghall (closed during the sixties) is where the first Transatlantic Telephone Cable was made. If you have never done the Caldon Canal, give it a try, you won't be dissapointed.

We might try and visit the Southern Broads in September, just for the thrill of passing through Breydon Water, but our intention was to do the Southern half in 2016. 

• Like 2

ahh well, yer welcome to look a tuk boots and tuk stuff any time yer like ......

no offence and nun taken ehh upp

weve got relative in leek too........

and all over .................

happy boating...........!

• Like 1