Would you risk your life for a dog?

JennyMorgan

May I inject a note of realism?

I have a relation who is a widow with a young son to bring up without a father, because her husband tried to rescue his dog from a frozen lake. He got into difficulties and his friend went in to save him. Neither of the men survived - the dog got out on its own.

Macho talk is cheap - human life is priceless!

• Like 2

May I inject a note of realism?

I have a relation who is a widow with a young son to bring up without a father, because her husband tried to rescue his dog from a frozen lake. He got into difficulties and his friend went in to save him. Neither of the men survived - the dog got out on its own.

Macho talk is cheap - human life is priceless!

I think your use of the word "Macho" on this subject is quite unfair Paladin.

I doubt very much whether any of the replies on this thread are people showing off in a "masculine and overly assertive or aggressive way".

When most people own a dog for its whole life it simply becomes a member of the family, even though it's not "human".

The extremely distressing incident you quote did indeed have a far worse result than losing the dog, but when faced with a split second decision, the dog owner's reaction is quite understandable, even though it turned out  disastrously wrong.

Somebody elses dog probably not.

My own faithful german Shepherd .... Probably yes.

I would like to think he would return the favour.

In reality I don't think you know what you would do until you face the dilemma yjen I suspect you go on to auto pilot.

I hope I never have to be put to the test.

• Like 3

As grandparents from both sides of the family were from farming stock one of my Nan's lessons given to me as a child has stayed with me into adulthood.

"Your animals come first, they rely on you for everything. One day you will ask them to give up their life for you, its only fair you do the same for them BUT a cow is a cow, a sheep a sheep, an 'oss an 'oss and a dog is a dog and its up to you to do the thinking and make 'em behave."

Wise woman my Nan.

• Like 4

In support of Paladin's comment when I had the Waveney Inn there was a tragic drowning when the man went in after the family dog, he drowned, the dog climbed out by itself. My wife lost a cousin who climbed under a quay heading to rescue a dog, both died. For many years I was an auxiliary coastguard, from day one it was drilled into us that in no circumstance do we rescue humans, let alone animals, by putting our lives at unnecessary risk. Mind you, I can think of nothing sadder than watching a loved one, dog or human, drowning whilst standing by and doing nothing.

So often have I heard of people dying whilst the dog rescued itself, I wonder if figures are available? 

......In reality I don't think you know what you would do until you face the dilemma then I suspect you go on to auto pilot.........

That's exactly what I think too.

Easy to judge afterwards with hindsight.

My dog's are part of the family. I love them with all my heart and yes i would not think twice about risking my life for them. Jess our collie once fell in when getting off the boat at reedham. She had a lifejacket on and was only in the water a couple of minutes but the panic and horror we felt was unbelievable.

Edited by BroadScot
Removed duplicate post :-)

......So often have I heard of people dying whilst the dog rescued itself, I wonder if figures are available? 

Every time a human is killed trying to rescue a dog, it makes headline news.

We must remember though, whenever a human successfully rescues their dog, it hardly ever even gets reported on....

I'm still certainly not condoning anyone risking human lives, but the number of attempted rescues that go terribly wrong may be far rarer than they appear to be.

I think your use of the word "Macho" on this subject is quite unfair Paladin.

I doubt very much whether any of the replies on this thread are people showing off in a "masculine and overly assertive or aggressive way".

When most people own a dog for its whole life it simply becomes a member of the family, even though it's not "human".

The extremely distressing incident you quote did indeed have a far worse result than losing the dog, but when faced with a split second decision, the dog owner's reaction is quite understandable, even though it turned out  disastrously wrong.

I make no apology for my use of words. I happen to disagree with your interpretation of that use. I was considering it's use as being associated with "a man’s responsibility to provide for, protect, and defend his family".

We were asked to discuss an issue in the cold light of day, not in a heat of the moment situation. It is very hard to say, openly, "I would let my dog drown", particularly if you have never been in, or been touched by, that situation.

But I know, all too well, what the answer would be if the young lad I mentioned was asked, "what would you rather have, a daddy or a dog"?

• Like 1

.....We were asked to discuss an issue in the cold light of day, not in a heat of the moment situation......

Peter's discussion topic was simply entitled

"Would you risk your life for a dog"?

No mention of the circumstances, which would almost invariably pose a heat of the moment snap decision.....

Peter's discussion topic was simply entitled

"Would you risk your life for a dog"?

No mention of the circumstances, which would almost invariably pose a heat of the moment snap decision.....

Whatever! :(

• Like 1

As said before, someone elses dog I would take a small risk for, my own dog I would take a huge risk for, yes it's a stupid thing to do but when panic hits you don't think logically.

I bet most of the 'not trained for that' police/firemen would still do it for their own dog if it was in trouble.

As said, a part of the family not just a pet.

Not really sure where the "untrained police/fireman" theme comes from but still......

No I would not.

From the rescue services that stand by while someone drowns due to 'not been trained for that' syndrome, I'm not saying they should put themselves in serious danger but there have been cases where they have done nothing except stop others that were prepared to help instead of just watching.

There was a case of a woman in a well dying while the local potholing were stopped from doing what they do all the time.

The vast majority are willing to go the extra mile to help people but held back by the idiot in the office obsessed by elf & stupidity due to paranoia of litigation.

No dig at the rescue crews themselves was intended.

• Like 1

From the rescue services that stand by while someone drowns due to 'not been trained for that' syndrome, I'm not saying they should put themselves in serious danger but there have been cases where they have done nothing except stop others that were prepared to help instead of just watching.

Is this a true reflection? It's not my experience ..... the rescue services go out of their way to help

I'm thinking lifeboat, firebrigade, ambulance etc

• Like 1