Herons

Mandybstorm

Iain - you are right of course!!

Herons are one of our earlier nesting birds and will be right in the middle of brooding. Eggs take up to 28 days to hatch and my guess is the birds will become very evident when they are feeding their young.  

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that if heron's are away from their normal fishing spots along the river frontage in Horning & Wroxham they put up plastic replicas of themselves so as not to disappoint the tourists?

4544657587.jpg

• Like 2

Has anyone else noticed that if heron's are away from their normal fishing spots along the river frontage in Horning & Wroxham they put up plastic replicas of themselves so as not to disappoint the tourists?

4544657587.jpg

A man of many talents Tim, :clap  where do you find the time to stick all these replicas around Broadland :naughty:

cheers Iain

Give them a few weeks and you should see them about. At the moment they are nesting. We have a large heronry at our local bird reserve, Middleton Lakes, just a mile or so from where we live. We were up there yesterday and of the twenty or so nesting pairs, most of them were sitting on the eggs, viewing with my binoculars. They nest in colonies on lage platfoms nests made of twigs, at the top of large trees, away from predators. Once the eggs hatch, the herons will start fishing and getting the young fattened up ready for fledging. By the end of April, they should be out in force again. 

• Like 1

Travelled from How Hill to Hickling today and lost count of the number of herons I saw - mostly in flight.  Bit annoyed by the one that flew across my bows and sh*t on my foredeck though!

Could be lucky Bob, buy a lottery ticket for tomorrow night! :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

At How Hill today with the Grandkids and as a heron flew by our Five year old called out " there's a Harnser " He knows more about Coot Club than some people many times his age ,sometimes we have a fun quiz with him and he gets most of them correct ,he must have watched the DVD ten times ,he loves it and the Broads .

• Like 1