Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

16 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Thanks Robin, I was very tempted to buy a similar unit but was eventually persuaded by the offspring that it would never achieve its potential in a space like a Safari. The one I have does most, if not all of those features you quote although I don't think it has the wall wobbling watts!

I doubt many head units will ever reach their full potential on a boat. Ours certainly doesn't.

We opted for a Sony single din head unit that has all of the features of the unit that Rascal has posted and have teamed it up with some Rockford Fosgate speakers in the cabin and the cockpit. Sounds great when playing music or watching a film. 

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Now in next doors garage (He has more room than I do) where it will stay till next Thursday

It would have been polite to ask him if it was ok first, rather than let him find you had just dumped your timber in his garage :default_wink:

It would have been polite to ask him if it was ok first, rather than let him find you had just dumped your timber in his garage 

My neighbour is none other than forumite  'Breamslayer' who helped on the restoration and is one of our regular Lads Week crew, it was his suggestion to use his garage, Bon Oeuf that he is

Griff

Could you tell me who is doing the stainless steel around the hatch please? So far unable to find anyone to do ours. Many Thanks

F.W Hall and Son, Rackheath - 01603 626380.  Rang me today.  The two polished s/steel borders have been quoted at £240 for the pair (Plus vat of course) they will be 3mm thick laser cut from a sheet so no joints or welding to the corners with a 20mm overlap onto the deck from the hatches.  They will drill screw them into place on the hatches.  He did state that the two hatches differed slightly in size from each other - No, Really? - no surprise there then but will make the two borders identical size, this will mean one side the overlap will be down to 17mm but both will look identical.  I will have to notch both of them out slightly once I have them onboard to fit round the end of the cabin sides (I have the tools / experience to do this).  They will be ready for collection in January, he could have got them done before Christmas but they are somewhat pushed and it is not urgent for us to have them on the next maintenance weekend visit, besides it gives me time to properly adjust the load bearing inside frames that need some fine tuning and source some soft rubber rain water seals to bond to the backs of the borders.  So sadly no photo's for a while yet

Griff

• Like 1

Rolled? Clarify  Pse  the long thin quarter round stuff I bought off the shedlf and fitted mysen onto the timber rubbers. 

We have a third deck hatch  to be done next year so that’ll be another £120 + vat bringing it to £432  whether that is expensive depends on the quality/ standard of finish  plus it’s a once only purchase that will last a lifetime 

Griff

On our Ocean it has a  back hatch  and two side pieces.They are covered in treadmaster and trimmed with a half round aluminium trim but  are rounded at the corners , ( If they were square you are correct you could buy of the shelf and just mitre the corners).In essence they are in one complete piece screwed  down periodically . They have cracked in places.Just don't look good.

Hi

We are in Simpsons Lodge over Christmas as the boat is with Phil for some time doing internal work. We will provably take the trim off  and take it to Halls assuming they will be open after Christmas. Failin g that we may bring it home as there are many fabricators in Grimsby. F,

• 2 weeks later...

Saving any sort of Hardwood whether one has an immediate need for it or not is always a good thing imho.

Have a look at this listing I just discovered £140:00 per plank.  You think that is expensive? Not really, not for genuine teak.  If I had a few quid spare I would purchase the lot and have it in stock ready for any issues on 'B.A's hull as she is planked entirely of teak.  Which is a good thing, until we have to start changing any of them

Griff

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teak-Planks-of-Wood-Timber-per-plank/264054384596?hash=item3d7ade27d4:g:HwYAAOSw1Dtbohrl:rk:29:pf:0

• Like 1

Today is my last working day wall/floor tiling until next year. YAHOO. Got a porch floor in quarry tiles to commence / complete this morning.  But something to look forward to and I'm not driving down / back for a change either:-

This evening will see mysen, Bro and Robin onboard 'B.A' for another upgrade weekend through to Sunday afternoon.  Apart from an hours run or so to trial a new digital internal aerial (As long as it ain't raining) as no signal inside a metal clad shed, we will be staying on her mooring for the weekend. Plenty of graft during the day to around 1900 then social evening onboard on completion

Cream bun and a cup of tea anyone? - You bring the cream buns!

Griff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I'm heading up to the boat this afternoon too. I shall be on board from today till Jan 2nd (or perhaps 3rd.) Anyone there who fancies a pint in the Pleasure boat, see you there!

I'm away at the new year MM, did you just offer to buy me a pint? Because if you did.....:default_drinks:

:default_biggrin:

:default_xmas2:

The three of us arrived onboard at around 2300 so nowt got done at that time of the evening apart from cracking a few open and watching a film then lights out

Saturday morning dawned, it had been raining.  The wet shed was living up to its name - Yes it was wet from various leaks, now this isn't normally a problem but this morning it was as we had rainwater that had leaked onto the virgin cant rail in various places.  This was a right royal pain in the derrier.  Howard and Robin got set to with various items inboard and within our locker.  My task was the wood butchery.  Nowt for it but get set to and dry out as and where required

Griff

BA NBN 478.JPG

BA NBN 479.JPG

• Like 3

Fortunately it dried out easily but did take me a fair while,  the underneath and backs of the timber I had previously sealed with two coats of G4 so I knew any water would not have penetrated where I couldn't see.

Back on hands n knees out with small chisel and remove any traces of sealant where it had squeezed out to be on show, another time consuming task.   Next task was was to apply exterior grade wood filler between the top of the timber where it met the cabin side.  I used one of those thin flexible flat metal blades to apply it, all the way round which is about eighty odd ft.

Then those wood plugs I had previously cut at home weeks ago.  I decided to use weatherproof pva to bond them in with, the issue there is that pva is bright white of course, I didn't want white rings showing around the plugs.  I needed to change the colour of it.  So out belt sander with a 60g belt.  Hoover out the collection bag, find an off cut of teak which is darker than the cant rail timber and just sand it till enough sawdust was collected.  Mixed this into the pva and I was ready.  Now I don't know how many plugs there are to fit but I estimate about ninety odd.  Back on knees.  Those plugs are such a tight fit I was finding it awkward to get them sat in the entrance to the hole before tapping them home, the answer was to sand a tiny chamfer to each plug by hand before I applied the adhesive which of course just increased the time spent on ones knees

Griff

BA NBN 480.JPG

• Like 2

And round again, this time with another chisel removing high spots of wood filler, then 80g by hand on the filler and plugs, this time followed on by Robin with 240g and the hoover.  Then round yet again with a microfibre cloth and white spirit.  Round again with the heat gun to speed up the drying time.  Then Finally Ravalakk varnish thinned own 50/50 with genuine turps.  And that'll do it until the next visit.  Robin and Howard achieved plenty more inboard, Robin continued to upgrade and fine tune our CCTV system which now covers Lady Beryl (at her owners request) which meant adding a fifth camera.  'B.A's mast is now at home with me along with various planks of Teak and 'No name timber' in readiness for myself and the Wizard to fashion a new, improved, lighter one but to the same deck fitting and height

Griff

BA NBN 482.JPG

BA NBN 483.JPG

BA NBN 484.JPG

• Like 3